follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-26-2019, 11:13 PM   #1
pkolanko

Drives: 2015 White Series.Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2015 with 4300 Miles...Follow the Service Schedule?

I purchased a 2015 series.blue two years ago with 1500 miles and have done the following service so far:

2017 Nothing because I bought it from a dealership who did the initial check and new oil change. Drove it for 1200 miles and stored it for the winter.

2018 - New battery, oil change, cabin air filter, and tire rotation.

Now the vehicle has 4300 miles and has never been driven in the winter or when it rains. My question is should I get the entire recommended service done for the 60 month/60k mile service? This includes:

oil change
tire rotation
replace air cleaner element
replace brake fluid
replace clutch fluid
replace rear differential gear oil
replace spark plugs

The car was built 05/14 so it's at the 60 month service interval, but it looks, smells, and drives like it's brand new. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!
pkolanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:06 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I suggest you just follow the recommendations in the maintenance guide, especially the mileage part.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
JohnJuan (07-30-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 06:23 PM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
You can do everything on your own. Unless you are afraid of being a man.
Or I get it, you don't have the tools. Well the amount of money you'll spend on dealership prices you can easily buy a nice tool kit and then some.

As for the schedule, 60 months is more like a suggestion. I would stick to 60k miles interval. Given you only have 4K on the clock I would just do the fluids.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
pkolanko (07-28-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 06:51 PM   #4
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'd follow Mr. ac's suggestions. An oil change wouldn't hurt and is a piece of cake. Change hydraulic fluids (clutch and brake), rotating the tires wouldn't hurt either, but not a big deal. Do check the tires for age cracking. They're pushing 5 years and probably starting to harden a bit (and the Primacies are pretty damn hard to start with). Diff and tranny fluids, maybe Personally, I would probably let them slide. Ignore the spark plugs and air filter and go drive the car - preferably a lot.
pkolanko (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
pkolanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
I'd follow Mr. ac's suggestions. An oil change wouldn't hurt and is a piece of cake. Change hydraulic fluids (clutch and brake), rotating the tires wouldn't hurt either, but not a big deal. Do check the tires for age cracking. They're pushing 5 years and probably starting to harden a bit (and the Primacies are pretty damn hard to start with). Diff and tranny fluids, maybe Personally, I would probably let them slide. Ignore the spark plugs and air filter and go drive the car - preferably a lot.
I get an oil change each year, regardless of the miles, but I don't have the tools/equipment to change the hydraulic fluids or rotate the tires. My dealership is pretty reasonable price-wise for the basics and since it's usually only an annual service, I don't mind the increased price compared to me doing it myself.

The dealership should notify me if the tires are cracking correct?

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #6
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkolanko View Post
cracking and hardening are very different. i won't keep tires older than 7 years from the date on the tire on any of my cars.

most people, including dealers don't check the tire dates. they check tread depth.

i used to not, until my family took a vacation with a dual-axle trailer, and ended up blowing out 6 tires on the trailer(dual spares), and 5 on the tow vehicle, all separate instances. all were over 7 years old and had no visible signs of cracking.

also, only 4300 miles?!? what's even the point of keeping it around? if i don't drive my car at least once a week, i start getting withdrawal!
pkolanko (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 06:12 PM   #7
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I get an oil change each year, regardless of the miles, but I don't have the tools/equipment to change the hydraulic fluids or rotate the tires. My dealership is pretty reasonable price-wise for the basics and since it's usually only an annual service, I don't mind the increased price compared to me doing it myself.

Thanks.
I'd think so. Mine would. I have my car's oil changed at the dealership. They do a pretty comprehensive check of the car so they can upsell me more stuff that I may, or may not, need. It costs me about $20 more to have them do it than I could do it for, but at my age and in my condition, it's worth the money. (I'm an aging, lazy fart) I have a Fumoto valve (and a OEM A2L oil cooler along with rear subframe and diff inserts) in my "to do" parts box. My goal is to install them before I depart.
pkolanko (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 07:23 PM   #8
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
I purchased a 2015 series.blue two years ago with 1500 miles and have done the following service so far:

2017 Nothing because I bought it from a dealership who did the initial check and new oil change. Drove it for 1200 miles and stored it for the winter.

2018 - New battery, oil change, cabin air filter, and tire rotation.

Now the vehicle has 4300 miles and has never been driven in the winter or when it rains. My question is should I get the entire recommended service done for the 60 month/60k mile service? This includes:

oil change
tire rotation
replace air cleaner element
replace brake fluid
replace clutch fluid
replace rear differential gear oil
replace spark plugs

The car was built 05/14 so it's at the 60 month service interval, but it looks, smells, and drives like it's brand new. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!
Since your car is rarely driven the recommended intervals probably don’t pertain to you as much. But fluids do have a shelf life. So I would definitely do it long before the mileage recommendation.
Also I would recommend once a week or at least twice a month to drive her fairly hard to get your oil and coolant fully up to operating temp, and do some hard braking to get brake fluid heated. This helps boil out any condensation water build up.

Most fluids have a recommended 5 year shelf life.
Spark plugs do not appear to have a shelf life.
Change your oil yearly, and the other things you listed I would change every 5 years. Spark plugs should be fine for 8-10years you’ll probably be able to tell if one starts going bad.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
pkolanko (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 08:47 PM   #9
pkolanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
cracking and hardening are very different. i won't keep tires older than 7 years from the date on the tire on any of my cars.

most people, including dealers don't check the tire dates. they check tread depth.

i used to not, until my family took a vacation with a dual-axle trailer, and ended up blowing out 6 tires on the trailer(dual spares), and 5 on the tow vehicle, all separate instances. all were over 7 years old and had no visible signs of cracking.

also, only 4300 miles?!? what's even the point of keeping it around? if i don't drive my car at least once a week, i start getting withdrawal!
I have 3 cars and I only drive it on nice days, I try to drive it as much as possible, but it becomes difficult in the Northeast when it seems to rain a lot. I also store in from Mid November to Mid April, so it doesn't get driven at all then.

I'm ok with the low miles, because I know I will be enjoying it for years to come.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:48 PM   #10
pkolanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
I'd think so. Mine would. I have my car's oil changed at the dealership. They do a pretty comprehensive check of the car so they can upsell me more stuff that I may, or may not, need. It costs me about $20 more to have them do it than I could do it for, but at my age and in my condition, it's worth the money. (I'm an aging, lazy fart) I have a Fumoto valve (and a OEM A2L oil cooler along with rear subframe and diff inserts) in my "to do" parts box. My goal is to install them before I depart.
I don't mind paying a little extra for a once a year service.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:50 PM   #11
pkolanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Since your car is rarely driven the recommended intervals probably don’t pertain to you as much. But fluids do have a shelf life. So I would definitely do it long before the mileage recommendation.
Also I would recommend once a week or at least twice a month to drive her fairly hard to get your oil and coolant fully up to operating temp, and do some hard braking to get brake fluid heated. This helps boil out any condensation water build up.

Most fluids have a recommended 5 year shelf life.
Spark plugs do not appear to have a shelf life.
Change your oil yearly, and the other things you listed I would change every 5 years. Spark plugs should be fine for 8-10years you’ll probably be able to tell if one starts going bad.
I really try to drive far and get the speed above 55 for an extended period of time when I do take it for a spin. Haven't done the hard braking, so maybe I'll start to do that. I'll change the fluids this year and follow fluid changes based on the months owned.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:35 AM   #12
pkolanko

Called the dealer today and the service guy was very upfront and honest. He said that most of those items do not need to be done and, in fact, they would refuse to do them even if I wanted them done. He said the clutch, brake, and rear diff fluid would look brand new when they flushed it. He said an oil change once a year is recommended and he would inspect the wheels and engine air filter to see if they needed to be replaced, but would not do any work that wasn't warranted.

Its very reassuring that I have a local service station that will not do unneeded service and/or repairs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pkolanko For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-30-2019), Tcoat (07-29-2019)