follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
86WORX
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
Abaier
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: California
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Should I replace the clutch at 38k miles?

I've got the car in for a warranty repair on resealing an oil leak on the timing cover, and since the motor needed to come out I had thought I might as well see if the clutch or TOB needs replacing. Got a call from the dealer today saying they recommended replacing the flywheel, clutch, TOB, and pressure plate, they would only charge me for parts which comes out to $830. To have just the clutch and TOB replaced it would be $256 which I find more reasonable, but they really do recommend doing the whole thing. I have fun with the car, but by no means am I launching it at every street light, racing everyone I see, or doing anything outside of the occasional Sunday morning spirited drive.

I do get a bit of noise from the car when its in neutral which goes away when I push the clutch in, but sometimes when the car is cold or if its cold out I get a bit of squeaking and crunching sounds while pushing in the clutch.

What do you guys thing? I trust this dealer and you know what maybe I haven't been the nicest to this clutch, but I do think its a bit early to be having all of those components replaced.
Abaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:16 PM   #2
Bello
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Drives: Scion FR-S 10-Series
Location: Oxnard
Posts: 26
Thanks: 2
Thanked 25 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Get the exedy kit from rock auto.
$180.79 for the clutch, pressure plate, and TOB
$108.79 for the flywheel

Last edited by Bello; 07-06-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Bello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 28,216
Thanks: 25,846
Thanked 28,655 Times in 15,207 Posts
Mentioned: 669 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaier View Post
I've got the car in for a warranty repair on resealing an oil leak on the timing cover, and since the motor needed to come out I had thought I might as well see if the clutch or TOB needs replacing. Got a call from the dealer today saying they recommended replacing the flywheel, clutch, TOB, and pressure plate, they would only charge me for parts which comes out to $830. To have just the clutch and TOB replaced it would be $256 which I find more reasonable, but they really do recommend doing the whole thing. I have fun with the car, but by no means am I launching it at every street light, racing everyone I see, or doing anything outside of the occasional Sunday morning spirited drive.

I do get a bit of noise from the car when its in neutral which goes away when I push the clutch in, but sometimes when the car is cold or if its cold out I get a bit of squeaking and crunching sounds while pushing in the clutch.

What do you guys thing? I trust this dealer and you know what maybe I haven't been the nicest to this clutch, but I do think its a bit early to be having all of those components replaced.

Are you the original owner?

If you trust the dealer, and they recommend the changes, for $830, that's a good deal.


humfrz

Last edited by humfrz; 07-06-2019 at 07:11 PM.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:46 PM   #4
Dr. BRZ
Senior Member
 
Dr. BRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Location: Oklahoma City, OK.
Posts: 757
Thanks: 44
Thanked 215 Times in 148 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Burning the clutch comes from your leg, learn to engage it better and not from those car activities. Suggestion, join your local twin fbk page, set up a install event, buy the following members pizza and beer as payment for the labor and you just buy the parts. Much much cheaper than going to the stealershop. You can make new friends and learn about the car
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:14 PM   #5
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]
 
Mr.ac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: BRZ Premium
Location: Central Coast CA
Posts: 2,370
Thanks: 709
Thanked 1,556 Times in 928 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Honestly if it was me, actually if it's my wallet, I'll just pay for the TOB.
If the clutch need it down the road I'll take it to any shop not the dealership. Or if you got the tools and space to work on diy it.
__________________
New daily driver - Subaru BRZ Premium
Weekend fun/track car - '91 MR2 Turbo Gen3
Old daily driver - '88 MR2 Supercharged
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #6
Ultramaroon
golden fried
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 27,785
Thanks: 44,046
Thanked 29,944 Times in 15,882 Posts
Mentioned: 1021 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
OP, are you experienced enough to describe just how you haven't been nice to the clutch? Serious question because I don't want to waste my time lecturing you about how to use the clutch when in fact, you might only think that you've been rough on it.


Personally, I'd just get in there to clean and lubricate the quill. I'm even 50/50 on swapping out a second-generation TOB because, in good conscience, I would have to swap out the quill along with it. That takes some finesse to do properly. I'd ask the tech if he'd ever done one.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:56 PM   #7
Abaier
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: California
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Are you the original owner?

If you trust the dealer, and they recommend the changes, for $830, that's a good deal.


humfrz
I am the original owner, I learned stick with this car so I think they might have a valid recommendation!
Abaier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Abaier For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #8
Abaier
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: California
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Honestly if it was me, actually if it's my wallet, I'll just pay for the TOB.
If the clutch need it down the road I'll take it to any shop not the dealership. Or if you got the tools and space to work on diy it.
Yeah I wouldn't normally take it to a dealership because I am well aware they overcharge, but since I already have it there and its already apart I'm definitely considering it. Why do you figure just the TOB and not at least the clutch disk as well?
Abaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:21 PM   #9
Abaier
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: California
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
OP, are you experienced enough to describe just how you haven't been nice to the clutch? Serious question because I don't want to waste my time lecturing you about how to use the clutch when in fact, you might only think that you've been rough on it.


Personally, I'd just get in there to clean and lubricate the quill. I'm even 50/50 on swapping out a second-generation TOB because, in good conscience, I would have to swap out the quill along with it. That takes some finesse to do properly. I'd ask the tech if he'd ever done one.
I don't know that I'm experienced enough to say, I learned manual on this car so I can only assume I may have mistreated it in the process. I don't ride the clutch at all, the only times I can think of doing any damage to it would be a trying out the OFT launch control a few times and higher rpm driving.

I really am leaning on at least replacing the TOB, I'll give the tech a call before they close to get a better idea of his expertise in replacing these.
Abaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:24 PM   #10
Abaier
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: California
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. BRZ View Post
Burning the clutch comes from your leg, learn to engage it better and not from those car activities. Suggestion, join your local twin fbk page, set up a install event, buy the following members pizza and beer as payment for the labor and you just buy the parts. Much much cheaper than going to the stealershop. You can make new friends and learn about the car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bello View Post
Get the exedy kit from rock auto.
$180.79 for the clutch, pressure plate, and TOB
$108.79 for the flywheel
Might have a winning combo here, sounds like a win win to me!
Abaier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Abaier For This Useful Post:
Mr.ac (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 08:47 PM   #11
EAGLE5
Dismember
 
EAGLE5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Location: Castro Valley
Posts: 5,395
Thanks: 2,090
Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,101 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Even with some mistreatment, the clutch is likely fine.
EAGLE5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Qadthane (07-09-2019), Ultramaroon (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 09:04 PM   #12
Ultramaroon
golden fried
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 27,785
Thanks: 44,046
Thanked 29,944 Times in 15,882 Posts
Mentioned: 1021 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Even with some mistreatment, the clutch is likely fine.
just gett'n broke in

Unless, that is,... OP, would you say it's possible that you are in the habit of goosing it before fully engaging the clutch? So the engine goes "eeeee-awwww" when you dump it? It's a common noob thing that can be hell on clutches over time. Other than that, I bet it's practically new.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:17 PM   #13
Calum
That Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 4,849
Thanks: 5,043
Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,491 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
OP, are you experienced enough to describe just how you haven't been nice to the clutch? Serious question because I don't want to waste my time lecturing you about how to use the clutch when in fact, you might only think that you've been rough on it.


Personally, I'd just get in there to clean and lubricate the quill. I'm even 50/50 on swapping out a second-generation TOB because, in good conscience, I would have to swap out the quill along with it. That takes some finesse to do properly. I'd ask the tech if he'd ever done one.
What a quill?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:26 PM   #14
Ultramaroon
golden fried
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 27,785
Thanks: 44,046
Thanked 29,944 Times in 15,882 Posts
Mentioned: 1021 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
What a quill?
It's the thing on which the TOB slides. Service manual calls it the transmission front cover.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
Calum (07-10-2019)
 
Reply

Tags
clutch, dealer, recommendation, repair, tob

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would it be worth it to replace clutch at 40k miles? hpde_addict Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 6 01-17-2018 12:42 PM
Best independent mechanic to replace clutch? Barre Northern California 2 09-15-2017 03:57 PM
Replace Clutch or Time to Upgrade? Antialias Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 9 11-19-2016 09:44 PM
Low mileage and going FI - Replace clutch or wait? FirestormFlex Forced Induction 8 12-17-2015 12:44 AM
OEM Clutch Replace time JRollar Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 18 06-19-2013 01:25 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.