follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 10-01-2021, 12:06 AM   #57
Arthur-A

Drives: 2020 BRZ/86, 2020 BMW 330i
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona61 View Post
I’ve been around the BeamNG team since the RoR days lol. Even used to make mods for Beam in my free time. It’s an awesome physics engine but the handling isn’t there in my opinion.
What I found is the cars reactions are closer to the way they handle IRL than in any other sim, including AC. This is especially obvious when you try drifting.
Arthur-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:02 AM   #58
Kona61

Drives: ‘22 CWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur-A View Post
What I found is the cars reactions are closer to the way they handle IRL than in any other sim, including AC. This is especially obvious when you try drifting.
I mean, I see you have a S13 which I have to assume has been sideways. I personally feel drifting in AC is head and shoulders better than Beam. I think those cars handle like garbage, frankly.
Kona61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:49 AM   #59
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Yup, got it.
The other benefit of AC is that it has a lot of tracks.
In fact, it has every track I've been to, or plan to go any time soon.
Not to forget, AC also supports mods (as opposed to AC Competitzione).

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:31 PM   #60
JCW 86

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
I want to add that not having the proper butt feel helps you learn other senses more.
It's like blind people are better at hearing than people who see well, and don't rely on hearing as much during their daily life.

When you then get into a real car and get a new channel with useful information, that extra information makes you even faster (after some practice, perhaps).
That's anyways better than not having any prior experience at all, and getting overwhelmed by all the information at the same time, while paying your hard earned money for any mistake.
This 100%. Look up James Baldwin on YouTube. He won McLaren's world fastest gamer competition a couple years back, and he went from sim racing to winning GT3 races in a 720s racecar within a year. Unless you have a full motion rig, FFB through the wheel is the only sensation of grip that you can feel while sim racing and good sim racers become extremely in tune with it. He says in an interview that once getting used to the physicals forces in an actual car, you are able to take advantage of all the other ways the car communicates to you other than the steering wheel.

Partially got into sim racing during COVID because of this guy and can say that it really took my driving to the next level. Once I learned to understand car balance and weight transfer, techniques like trail braking, rotating the car under braking and throttle all started to come together and a great way to get those down is in the sim. I see a lot of recommendations for AC and other sims, but if you're looking for a sim with the best FFB, I would recommend rFactor 2. Do some research on their tire model and you'll be blown away.
JCW 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:50 PM   #61
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW 86 View Post
This 100%. Look up James Baldwin on YouTube. He won McLaren's world fastest gamer competition a couple years back, and he went from sim racing to winning GT3 races in a 720s racecar within a year. Unless you have a full motion rig, FFB through the wheel is the only sensation of grip that you can feel while sim racing and good sim racers become extremely in tune with it. He says in an interview that once getting used to the physicals forces in an actual car, you are able to take advantage of all the other ways the car communicates to you other than the steering wheel.

Partially got into sim racing during COVID because of this guy and can say that it really took my driving to the next level. Once I learned to understand car balance and weight transfer, techniques like trail braking, rotating the car under braking and throttle all started to come together and a great way to get those down is in the sim. I see a lot of recommendations for AC and other sims, but if you're looking for a sim with the best FFB, I would recommend rFactor 2. Do some research on their tire model and you'll be blown away.
100% sim racing helps develop the right "instincts". At OTA, we've started accepting sim racing experience with a multiplier for IRL track time. In fact, with Covid preventing us to sit in-car for sign offs for "rookies", I used iRacing or AC as sign off equipment.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Old 10-01-2021, 02:09 PM   #62
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Surprised no one has mentioned autocross!

It's not for everyone, but if you're new to pushing your car it will get you a little more comfortable.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Frost (10-05-2021), Gearhead23 (10-01-2021), NoHaveMSG (10-04-2021), RToyo86 (10-04-2021), timurrrr (10-04-2021), trippinbillies40 (10-01-2021), whataboutbob (10-05-2021), x808drifter (10-02-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 02:59 PM   #63
Arthur-A

Drives: 2020 BRZ/86, 2020 BMW 330i
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona61 View Post
I mean, I see you have a S13 which I have to assume has been sideways. I personally feel drifting in AC is head and shoulders better than Beam. I think those cars handle like garbage, frankly.
Surprisingly, I haven't drifted my 240 yet lol. Needs some work first, but that's not the point of this discussion. Based on my IRL experience of drifting E36 M3 and my ex Toyota 86, I have exactly the opposite impression of BeamNG and AC, lol.
Arthur-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:16 PM   #64
Kona61

Drives: ‘22 CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur-A View Post
Surprisingly, I haven't drifted my 240 yet lol. Needs some work first, but that's not the point of this discussion. Based on my IRL experience of drifting E36 M3 and my ex Toyota 86, I have exactly the opposite impression of BeamNG and AC, lol.
I see. Well my last thought: I drift on track at Apple Valley Speedway, have tandem-ed a little (not super close proximity though) and have owned just about every single platform commonly used for drifting these dates. I 110% learned on Assetto and just do not like the self-steer and transition from grip to oversteer mechanics of Beam, personally. Feels too slow and there is little progressiveness in the weighting of the wheel from my experience.

Now, if you like it excellent! It’s still better than something like NFS lol.
Kona61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kona61 For This Useful Post:
Arthur-A (10-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 05:29 PM   #65
JCW 86

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies40 View Post
Yup, using sim commander. It's certainly nice for immersion but I don't at all feel like it adds anything useful that makes me faster. Just my opinion!
https://nextlevelracing.com/products...n-platform-v3/

A little pricey but not like a full on motion rig. If you have an 8020 rig, it can mount up easily and provides way more detail and immersion than a buttkicker. Whether or not the cost is worth it is subjective. The thing with this is to not set it up on full blast to shake you around, but to tune the motion to replicate the feeling you get through the seat for understeer/oversteer moments.
JCW 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:54 PM   #66
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,292 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post

It's not for everyone, but if you're new to pushing your car it will get you a little more comfortable.
Also, Car Control Clinics / skidpad.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (10-04-2021), TommyW (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 04:39 PM   #67
Ktse

Drives: 2017 BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post

- Andrew
It's a good idea, it's not too hard on the car and very safe since since there's nothing to immediately hit except for cones. My main issue is that there's a lot more waiting around vs seat in autocross than an open track day.

I do like the flexibility of the open track days since I can go the track and practice continuous laps. That said in the context of understeer vs oversteer, spinning out on the track trying to get the tail could be very expensive if I were to hit a wall or another driver. It can be very intimidating compared to autocross.
Ktse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:52 PM   #68
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktse View Post
It's a good idea, it's not too hard on the car and very safe since since there's nothing to immediately hit except for cones. My main issue is that there's a lot more waiting around vs seat in autocross than an open track day.

I do like the flexibility of the open track days since I can go the track and practice continuous laps. That said in the context of understeer vs oversteer, spinning out on the track trying to get the tail could be very expensive if I were to hit a wall or another driver. It can be very intimidating compared to autocross.

Another thing to consider: I’ve never gotten yelled at for being that guy that takes as many turns as possible in a 4wheel drift. I’ve never even gotten yelled at for spinning out because of it. Open track days aren’t that lenient.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:52 PM   #69
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Something else just occurred to me. OP is in Michigan. Winter is coming. Frozen lakes, baby! I lived in Minnesota for four years and even with my depressing FWD car, I made it a point to get out there and hoon every year.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:22 AM   #70
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Something else just occurred to me. OP is in Michigan. Winter is coming. Frozen lakes, baby! I lived in Minnesota for four years and even with my depressing FWD car, I made it a point to get out there and hoon every year.
Dem e-brake pullz!

Yeah, I used to do the same thing with my dad's Corolla. Parking lot snow'nuts!

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (10-08-2021), Ultramaroon (10-05-2021)