follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2020, 02:14 PM   #15
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasy View Post
Also, I forgot to ask, I have read online that applying a paint pen/clear coat matching the paint over the scratch, then proceeding to buff and wax would help in covering the scratch. Do you have any idea if that would help in the process?
i can understand the theory. my experience is that most scratches are narrower than the application point of the paint pens, so you end up with an overlapping hump of paint outside of the scratch that would then need to be dealt with via wet sanding and a ton more buffing and polishing.

visually, anything protruding from the paint is going to be dramatically more noticeable (mol-e-mol-e-MOL-EEEE) than a scratch-depth indentation into the body work.

the important thing here is that there's no going back after using the paint pen, only significantly harder/more work. my preference is to buff it out and minimize the scratch first. after that, you make the personal determination whether the outcome of that initial process is 'good enough' or if enough of the paint was removed that adding material to it would justify the additional time and effort it would take. if you go with the paint pen, then you NEED sanding blocks so you're sanding only the 'hump', and not putting any pressure on the surrounding area.

with my cars at least, buffing has always been enough to minimize the appearance of the scratches to the point that while some of the scratches could benefit to adding paint, i don't see a point in the additional time and work that it creates, because the end result is still going to be noticeable in some way.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:33 AM   #16
Telman

Drives: BMW x5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone, guys, so as not to constantly have problems with various damages and scratches on the car body, you need to protect it with a special tool and then you will not have to often carry out repairs, grinding and painting the body. I have been using ceramic car coating for a long time, this is an excellent method of protecting paintwork from unwanted scratches and damage.

Last edited by Telman; 07-28-2021 at 12:54 PM.
Telman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:00 AM   #17
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telman View Post
Hello everyone, guys, so as not to constantly have problems with various damages and scratches on the car body, you need to protect it with a special tool and then you will not have to often carry out repairs, grinding and painting the body.
Speaking of special tools.... what exactly is this special tool you are recommending? I have a hammer... perhaps I could pre-dent the car in various commonly dented places, that way if I do nick it while driving I won't care as much.

In a more serious response to the OP... I tend not to worry too much about scratches and small dings; maintaining a car to "show" standards is just too stressful for me that it interferes and reduces my joy in driving my cars, and I LOVE to drive. If I get a chip where rust could develop if left untreated, I usually use a paint pen or small spray can of matched paint. If it's a spray can, I spray a little puddle into a cap or cup, then dab it into the chip with a toothpick a little at a time, let it dry, repeat, until the chip is filled to just above the surface of the rest of the paint, then sand/polish down with increasingly fine wet sandpaper. Wax and forget.

Another trick is using a rag dampened with acetone to remove a scratch. It kind of dissolves the paint and moves it into the scratch. Works surprisingly well, but go slow and stay as close to just the scratch as you can; it also dissolves the clearcoat, of course. Wax afterwards.

Again, these are not perfect methods for show cars, nor do they make invisible repairs. They do help hide imperfections a bit, and prevent rust from exposed areas.

Last edited by MuseChaser; 07-24-2021 at 10:12 AM.
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:38 AM   #18
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
^ You're responding to an ad.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
HKz (07-28-2021), Tcoat (07-26-2021)
Old 11-13-2022, 04:09 AM   #19
ricardoh

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The body shop can completely change it and give an awesome look. However the cost is there, but at the end, you will be more than happy with output.
ricardoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 07:25 AM   #20
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoh View Post
The body shop can completely change it and give an awesome look. However the cost is there, but at the end, you will be more than happy with output.
This thread really draw the bots/spammers!
Edit to come I am sure.
soundman98 (11-14-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 09:24 PM   #21
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i reported it as futurespam...

if only lottery numbers were as predictable as these posts!
Old 11-15-2022, 05:41 PM   #22
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Professional detailer here,

Full body PPF is going to cost you well more than what it's worth. I have had clients who would not even consider full body PPF on a $150,000 car. Never the less a twin. However, beauty and value is in the eye of the beholder. Just Front End PPF on twins we charge around $2,250. I'd expect to front around $5,000 - $6,500 depending on the shop if you truly want full body ppf.

Typically speaking, if the scratch catches your fingernail it's well through your clear coat and down to the metal. That scratch looks incredibly deep. You could attempt to cut / buff it out however if it's through the clear coat that really isn't going to do much for you outside of just cutting clear to cut clear.

Your best option would probably be to have an autobody shop address it.
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 06:47 PM   #23
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
you can probably get it to look really good from 5-10ft out

I've had success doing similar to this video, can definitely tell up close and scrutinizing, but comes out pretty good for a daily driver.