follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #99
Silver Ignition
APEXHNTR

Drives: 10 Series FR-S #1867
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estey View Post
Maybe I didnt word my question well enough, and instead wrote it halfheartedly.. Im not that uninformed, haha.
but higher rpm doesnt necessarily mean more power, correct?
Not in a car with pistons... (miss my RX-7 )
#1867 of 2500

in the garage...2001 Toyota 4Runner [Solid Axle Rock Toy], 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT [Shitwagon], 2004 Honda Interceptor VFR800 [daily rider], 1978 Suzuki GS750 [Café Racer]
Silver Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Ignition For This Useful Post:
Teseo (02-21-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #100
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
ive had the oft for about 3 months now. just today I downloaded newest OFM from site, ran .exe file, hooked it up to cpu (which is connected to internet), allowed oft to run thru automatic updates, then forced the new template file onto the tablet. from there everything seemed fine.

downloaded the new 2.063 OTS maps zip file. confirmed my .bin file was 'B01C.bin'. navigated thru and copied stg1 91 & 93 oct, stg2 el E85, stg2 uel 91 & 93 files onto desktop. Im not intenting on using the latter two just yet as car is stock.

with OFM open, navigate to the upload files tab, i removed all 5 of the existing .bin files and replaced with those listed above. a few moments later message received of data write successful.

does the above sound correct? i have not hooked up OFT to car yet, im a bit timid on frying an egg. Thanks in advance.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:12 PM   #101
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
ive had the oft for about 3 months now. just today I downloaded newest OFM from site, ran .exe file, hooked it up to cpu (which is connected to internet), allowed oft to run thru automatic updates, then forced the new template file onto the tablet. from there everything seemed fine.

downloaded the new 2.063 OTS maps zip file. confirmed my .bin file was 'B01C.bin'. navigated thru and copied stg1 91 & 93 oct, stg2 el E85, stg2 uel 91 & 93 files onto desktop. Im not intenting on using the latter two just yet as car is stock.

with OFM open, navigate to the upload files tab, i removed all 5 of the existing .bin files and replaced with those listed above. a few moments later message received of data write successful.

does the above sound correct? i have not hooked up OFT to car yet, im a bit timid on frying an egg. Thanks in advance.
yes, oft will not let you load incorrect calid tunes to your car.

It will load any tune for your calid ie stage 1 stage 2 or E85 tune, that all you need to check.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #102
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
great thank you,
possibly the step by step may help someone else in the future. although it was pretty straight forward.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #103
nexusatm

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
hello! Maybe its stupid question, but is any body use "Custom E-Tuning", whats gain its gives? (sorry for my english again)
nexusatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #104
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusatm View Post
hello! Maybe its stupid question, but is any body use "Custom E-Tuning", whats gain its gives? (sorry for my english again)
I have not used e tune myself but if your base off the shelf tune matches your modifications and your fuel is similar to what the tuner used then e tuning will probably gain you very little maybe a couple of hp here and their.

If you have mods such as intakes or extra exhaust components or your fuel is significantly different to what tune was done on and your getting significant knock and IAM drops then in those situations an e tune will have more benifit.

A custom dyno tune will be better than an e tune, but the gains will not be huge.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #105
nexusatm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
I have not used e tune myself but if your base off the shelf tune matches your modifications and your fuel is similar to what the tuner used then e tuning will probably gain you very little maybe a couple of hp here and their.

If you have mods such as intakes or extra exhaust components or your fuel is significantly different to what tune was done on and your getting significant knock and IAM drops then in those situations an e tune will have more benifit.

A custom dyno tune will be better than an e tune, but the gains will not be huge.
i have cutted duct, mishimoto inlet hose (w/o sound tube), apexi panel filter, full exhaust(catless top speed pro-1 EL header, non stock over pipe, catless non-resonated front pipe, invidia N1 like catback). Is the OFT st 2 EL good for this config? I meen would i take some gains from custom e-tuning?
Old 02-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #106
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
i have cutted duct, mishimoto inlet hose (w/o sound tube), apexi panel filter, full exhaust(catless top speed pro-1 EL header, non stock over pipe, catless non-resonated front pipe, invidia N1 like catback). Is the OFT st 2 EL good for this config? I meen would i take some gains from custom e-tuning?
you're never going to be maximized from an off the shelf tune. Will definitely benefit from it- but the tune gets you most the way there and for most, that's sufficient.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #107
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
you're never going to be maximized from an off the shelf tune. Will definitely benefit from it- but the tune gets you most the way there and for most, that's sufficient.
Like koa and Steve99 said, you will make some gains, but not be "optimized" for your car. I've been fortunate enough to have some fairly significant help from a local tuner as well as some of the community tuners which allowed me a more "optimal" tune, but to be honest, I feel like I'd rather go to the dyno to tune out a custom tune. Road Dyno tuning isn't effecient and it is certainly not what my tuner wanted to spend a wednesday night doing.

Now, all this said... I am super greatful and owe my tuner a beer. I'd be curious to see what "Gains" were obtained on the dyno. because it may only be 8-10 hp/torque total. not enough to throw you back in your seat but the smoothness of the vehicle is significantly different.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #108
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celadrielas View Post
Like koa and Steve99 said, you will make some gains, but not be "optimized" for your car. I've been fortunate enough to have some fairly significant help from a local tuner as well as some of the community tuners which allowed me a more "optimal" tune, but to be honest, I feel like I'd rather go to the dyno to tune out a custom tune. Road Dyno tuning isn't effecient and it is certainly not what my tuner wanted to spend a wednesday night doing.

Now, all this said... I am super greatful and owe my tuner a beer. I'd be curious to see what "Gains" were obtained on the dyno. because it may only be 8-10 hp/torque total. not enough to throw you back in your seat but the smoothness of the vehicle is significantly different.
not to mention road tuning open loop is mostly dangerous.... very few places we can make WOT 3rd/4th gear runs from 2k to redline repeatedly.

How's your car holding up Cela? Any other knock and wild trims to report or everything good?

I am pretty good for my maf scaling now, so I am going to start focusing on timing/load/IAT comp tables, and address my tip in knock. Any advice from your tuner friend as to how ya'll did that?

I am going to use Kode's/VGI's tools as well as some other tweaks
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:17 PM   #109
Celadrielas

Quote:
not to mention road tuning open loop is mostly dangerous.... very few places we can make WOT 3rd/4th gear runs from 2k to redline repeatedly.

How's your car holding up Cela? Any other knock and wild trims to report or everything good?

I am pretty good for my maf scaling now, so I am going to start focusing on timing/load/IAT comp tables, and address my tip in knock. Any advice from your tuner friend as to how ya'll did that?

I live in Arizona and I am fortunate in the space we have. We were doing WOT pulls in second and 3rd because 4th really has no space to safely pull.

As for my Car, I am using Tune v 1.13.4 (We got up to 5 or 6) because it's got no knock, though v 1.13.5 feels like it pulls more. In v 5 I am seeing .03 - .04 IAM dip in high RPM just before shift, but it returns to normal once shift is completed. But that ever so subtle dip is triggering knock alarm. If you'd like to PM me your email, I can send you every version of the tune I have on my home comp so you can look at it (.csv and .bin as needed) but i have an A01C so that may be an issue if you don't.

As for changes that were made, He made me a custom MAF calibration, and a few minor tweaks to the ignition base map in spots that were prone to knock. My AFR was actually in the 13.5-15AFR range and was causing false load readings (0.8-1.0 load througout the power band which was a good 1-3 columns off consistently) which was advancing the timing excessively at the start, so he fixed that through the ignition mapping, I believe. This is at the end of version 1.13.4

In 1.13.5, he attempted to put back some of the timing he'd taken out to give a better pull, which feels "smooth and steady" but actually seemed to be a good amount faster than a stock FRS buddy who chased me onto the freeway. -- Sadly, I am scared of the knock and haven't reconnected to ask for a fix. 1.13.4 will be fine for now.

Lastly, all exhaust leaks have been fixed. But I am having potential issues there. I keep checking my oil levels because periodically I get a wif of what smells like burnt oil -- No change in level and the smell is VVVEEEERRRY faint now vs the day I installed the used header. Additionally, I am hearing a rattle when I load on the front right (Turning left is an easy way to replicate the sound) Which sounds like it's my over pipe tacking on the sub frame. Drives. Me. Nuts.

I work 12 hour days 4 days a week, so I won't be able to check this until Thursday due 7am-7pm of work and lack of daylight. I did crawl under the car at night one night with a borrowed shop light, but all bolts, nuts, and studs were still tight. Not sure what changed and is causing the rattle.

Sorry for the wall of text: How are things with you @Koa?

Last edited by Celadrielas; 02-24-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Celadrielas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Celadrielas For This Useful Post:
Koa (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 12:44 PM   #110
nexusatm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celadrielas View Post
As for my Car, I am using Tune v 1.13.4 (We got up to 5 or 6)
its your custom tunes?
Old 02-24-2015, 12:52 PM   #111
Celadrielas

Quote:
its your custom tunes?
Yes. I bought an OFT, installed the OTS tune version 1.53, was happy. Read everything @steve99 had put up and decided to give it a go on my own. Constantly read and communicated issues on the forum and was getting a lot of help from members, then posted a log with the wrong data logging on it. Before I could fix it, one of my car group members (Who is a tuner for ECUtek) asked if I minded the help, and voi la -- I'm now about 20 flashes deep and hooked. I am still making minor tweaks based on things I've learned but I am no where near as seasoned as some of these guys.

I started on 1.0 (First tune) and every revision I made, I added .1 (1.1, 1.2, 1.3, ect) then every tune I got help with, I added an additional .1 to keep track of where I was and my help for learning was.

so tune 1.13.4 (for example) is my 13th tune, 4th time getting seasoned help from a tuner
nexusatm (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #112
Celadrielas

Quote:
Koa, What are Kode's / VGI's tools?