follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #43
FloridaFRSdriver

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS 6 Speed Manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

Case in point, last weekend, we were driving down off of Mt Rainer (a 14,000 ft high mountain - for you flatlanders .... ) when a newish, large, SUV gets waay to close to my rear end. My usually conservative wife says, "why don't you just lose that idiot in these curves". So, given the I step on it ..... what fun ..... BUT the dummy in the SUV is still trying to keep up ..... body roll and his rear end stepping out and all.

humfrz
Wow, and I thought all of ^those^ knuckleheads were indigenous to Florida, specifically Jacksonville.

But it seems like you have a viable breeding population of exactly the same knuckleheads native to WA... about as far as you can get in continental US from Jax. Weird.

Here there aren't too many twisties to challenge those knucklehead (unless you count on/off ramps) BUT you wouldn't BELIEVE how many one-car accidents we have hear (on perfectly clear sunny days no less).
FloridaFRSdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FloridaFRSdriver For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #44
Ryuu0u
(=^・ェ・^=)

Drives: 2013 FRS, '08 GSXR 600
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
He was challenging you to a touge battle! I'm guessing the cheezy techno para para music started up in the background and you started doing in head monologues as you both danced through the curves.
Ryuu0u is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryuu0u For This Useful Post:
Tagera (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #45
5hairpins

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I got to say, I probably would never have seen the SUV, too busy driving my own way down to look in the mirror. At least you did not break check the guy and start something.

Also, super jealous that you have roads like that near you. Dallas Texas has NOTHING!
5hairpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #46
Razz

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Here's the thing people forget.

Gravity is God!!!

What happens if you go around a corner and there is a motorcylist enjoyin the road but going slow. What about a byciclist or even a car not to mention a RV.

So you slam on your brake and still kill yourself or if you are lucky avoid death.

What do you think will happen to the SUV behind you after you avoid death?

SLAM! Rear end your dead over the cliff.

I know of a couple of people who drove too fast on montain roads.

They are no longer with us.

Fun Fast driving is for the track or secluded non-mountainous road.

God was with you that day to make the right choice.
Razz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Razz For This Useful Post:
Ozzman (10-29-2013), R3d (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #47
R3d

Drives: White FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
id let him crash, I have no patience for stupid and ill mannered ppl
R3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #48
R3d

Drives: White FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbx18 View Post
Now that my oldest just got his driving license, I am, or least reminded by my wife to be more cognizant of teen drivers. Anytime someone is driving stupidly, I would think that perhaps it is piloted by somebody's son or daughter, perhaps a teen, likely less capable and that I should do my part to be protective of them.
now this post is full of wisdom lol!! How you can think of this when being harassed by some driver is beyond me !

Lol once I was driving on the highway 145km ish and when I got stuck by 3-4 slowpokes in the passing lane, this a$$h0le pulls up from behind and nails me hard at 115. Im like shit id like to go faster to but you know... there are 3 cars in front !

So I pull over let him trough and when traffic clears I pass him again and he starts following me ( he only had the balls to drive 120km on his own !). So when I noticed he was using me as a shield I found some mobile home traveling at 90km ish and stuck right next to him for the rest of my 2 hour drive with the sucker loosing his mind trying to pass me lmao (2 laners baby haha he even tried to pass on the grass... failed hard)!!

now im much calmer I wont try to cause you to have a crash but I don't care if you do either!
R3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #49
Ammunition

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
It sounds like you were being a responsible driver, despite that guy pressuring you.

I had a frustrating moment just yesterday where I was getting onto an on-ramp, and the right lane next to me merged into it. I let the car on my right merge in front of me, and then I had some dude in a red Challenger attempt to blaze past me and cut me off. There wasn't room for him, and I think he later realized that - but at that point he was squished next to me with the lane ending. I ended up having to speed up and get ahead of the car in front of me, which was uncomfortable and I needed to drive a bit over the solid line to clear him.

I felt like a total ass, and in retrospect I wish I would have just slowed down and given the guy in the Challenger the gap that he wanted to cut me off, since he didn't seem intent on respecting the the fact that we needed to alternate, and he should have gotten in behind me (being that he was behind me to begin with until he wanted to floor it).

That being said, I have no amount of sympathy for dangerously aggressive drivers - tailgaters probably least of all. As I see it, it is almost inevitable that they're going to cause an accident, cause someone else to get hurt, and at the very least cause people to experience a lot of distress while driving.

I wouldn't feel responsible for how they are choosing to drive - especially if it is being dangerous or irresponsible, and if I had the ability to get away from them then I probably would have.

If they're reckless enough to risk putting them self in, and driving in situations where there are very real dangers or repercussions involved - then they probably give less of a fuck about the safety of anyone else. In my honest opinion, if the worst case should happen to someone like that - well, that is a sad result of carelessness and stupidity, and I'd rather that be the outcome than them being the cause of an accident where anyone else is involved.

But really, I think that you did do the right thing, and I'm sorry that you had to deal with someone like the ruining your should-be awesome mountain drive.
Ammunition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #50
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Better man than I. I would have done my best to leave him behind, because someone tailgating me is a hazard to my health.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #51
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dro View Post
I can confirm I was large newish SUV following op

Thanks op
@dro .... really ......??

No kidding ..... REALLY ..?? Saturday afternoon ... coming down from Paradise?

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #52
Evil Jesus

Drives: '13 FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Hahahahaha.
Evil Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #53
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayJesus View Post
I LOVE the drive down from Paradise on Rainier. Just a blast when you're not stuck behind a slowpoke.
Yep, believe it or not, a few weeks ago, on a late afternoon during the week, we drove from the Nisqually entrance to Paradise and back down with ONLY two motorcycles (who pulled over for fear of my FR-S (really to sight see) on the way up and one car (that pulled over and waived me on) on the way down........what FUN!! .....

Picture for the flatlanders ....especially those from Florida ....

humfrz
Attached Images

Last edited by humfrz; 10-29-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #54
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
................. Although I still do stupid things from time to time, as my wife can attest to.
I hear THAT ...... AND, they NEVER forget .....

Like the time, many years ago, when I was a mite surprised on a curve at 14,000 feet .... yep, my NC Miata done good ....

However, the wife has that one "filed away" ..... forever ....

humfrz
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #55
forzajuve
Banned

Drives: Ultramarine 86 - 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
because Randy Pobst is a BOSS.
forzajuve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #56
forzajuve
Banned

Drives: Ultramarine 86 - 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
More interestingly, what would have done if your wife wasn't in the car?
forzajuve is offline   Reply With Quote