follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
Taber

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Innovate Questions

I've tried reading through the Innovate owners thread and a few other threads to glean the information that I'm looking for, but I cant quite find satisfactory answers.

I just installed Borla UEL Headers, Perrin Overpipe, Perrin 3" Front Pipe and Perrin "Big" 3" Cat back ... Im still not happy with how the car feels. FI really seems like the only solution. But I have a few questions about the Innovate Kit:

1) Some retailers (FA20Club for instance) are offering Fueling Upgrades. Are those really necessary for these kits, or is this just "future proofing" in-case an intercooled version becomes available?

2) Actual install time that people are seeing?

3) People who have these kits, are you pleased with them in terms of power levels and quality?
Taber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taber View Post
I've tried reading through the Innovate owners thread and a few other threads to glean the information that I'm looking for, but I cant quite find satisfactory answers.

I just installed Borla UEL Headers, Perrin Overpipe, Perrin 3" Front Pipe and Perrin "Big" 3" Cat back ... Im still not happy with how the car feels. FI really seems like the only solution. But I have a few questions about the Innovate Kit:

1) Some retailers (FA20Club for instance) are offering Fueling Upgrades. Are those really necessary for these kits, or is this just "future proofing" in-case an intercooled version becomes available?
Only necessary if you plan on running E85.

Quote:
seems like 4-6 hours on average.

Quote:
3) People who have these kits, are you pleased with them in terms of power levels and quality?
Yep.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
Taber (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
1) I'm on the Innovate base map and 91 Cali fuel. Car runs fine.
2) Did the install myself in 5:45 taking my time. An experienced installer would probably be faster.
3) Yes. I'm still not the fastest car on the road, but I just wanted a more low end power for DD and my AutoX events.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
diss7
Banned

Drives: AE86, 2x GT86, TE27
Thanked 1,179 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:

1. Not NEEDED. But, does give you head room. I'm going to leave this decision upto my tuner as to whether it would be beneficial (from a long term reliability point of view) to upgrade the fuel pump.

2. Happy to agree with above estimate of 4 - 6. But that is over, even for a DIY install.

3. One thing I will say about this kit, is that it doesn't feel like your typical FI kit. It doesn't turn the car into a monster. It turns it into what feels like is a quicker stock car. A lightweight sports car with what feels like a 3000cc engine. Comparable to a base model Porsche Cayman for example.

I don't agree with comparisons saying its like a 350/370z. As they're lard asses.

If you have driven an evo or sti, that is running 20psi, or an aftermarket turbo, an you're expecting the same from this kit; you'll be disappointed.
diss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I am having a hard time finding this... I have checked out build threads who have installed Innovative kits, but those cars have lots of other mods..

If you installed the Innovative kit on a car with stock exhaust, would hp and torque bump would you expect to see vs stock? Innovative site is not clear on this either.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Thanked 1,573 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

I hooked my FRS up to a lexus tool that showed that the injectors were at 100% and the pump was damned close. I think that with tuning, you may need to use the injectors, so you don't have to worry about pushing 100% with them.

I LOVE this blower. torque curve is how it should have been, and pulls awesome strong compared to stock.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
phloozy

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diss7 View Post
1. Not NEEDED. But, does give you head room. I'm going to leave this decision upto my tuner as to whether it would be beneficial (from a long term reliability point of view) to upgrade the fuel pump.

2. Happy to agree with above estimate of 4 - 6. But that is over, even for a DIY install.

3. One thing I will say about this kit, is that it doesn't feel like your typical FI kit. It doesn't turn the car into a monster. It turns it into what feels like is a quicker stock car. A lightweight sports car with what feels like a 3000cc engine. Comparable to a base model Porsche Cayman for example.

I don't agree with comparisons saying its like a 350/370z. As they're lard asses.

If you have driven an evo or sti, that is running 20psi, or an aftermarket turbo, an you're expecting the same from this kit; you'll be disappointed.
I just bought the kit but this is what i worried about before purchasing. I had a stock turbo stage 2 legacy gt before this (260-270 whp) and I loved how it pulled. Do you think I will be disappointed?
phloozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

no. Think about the power to weight of the 86 vs. the legacy. Might not get off the line as fast, since RWD, but lighter, and no boost lag.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
phloozy

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxgoose View Post
no. Think about the power to weight of the 86 vs. the legacy. Might not get off the line as fast, since RWD, but lighter, and no boost lag.
thats y i pulled the trigger, I thought if i can get ALMOST the same HP but 500lb lighter it should be great.
phloozy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phloozy For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Quote:
I hooked my FRS up to a lexus tool that showed that the injectors were at 100% and the pump was damned close. I think that with tuning, you may need to use the injectors, so you don't have to worry about pushing 100% with them.

I LOVE this blower. torque curve is how it should have been, and pulls awesome strong compared to stock.
93 or E85?
Old 08-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

93 octane
Old 08-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #12
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Quote:
93 octane
Ah, interesting. What's your DI utilization look like?
Old 08-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Stop teasing me! I really want the innovate SC.
jflogerzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
Ah, interesting. What's your DI utilization look like?
100%, but i'm still using the stock injectors. I'll be swapping them out for the ones that came with the kit once i finally get some time off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Stop teasing me! I really want the innovate SC.
it's so worth it. atleast to me it is.