follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #43
Jcas

Drives: 2013 Limited Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Two things. This screams used... And also, no mods till you have a rainy day fund. Also, patience is worth the practice. You will find more and more times your immediate wants may work out better with patience. I have still never purchased that car I really wanted (want still). Doesn't mean this isn't a good time to treat yourself, you need to do that too.

Where will you park? Can you afford the insurance? Will it be a vandalism target? (A couple locals are having issues with this, sadly.) Where will you work in it if you do the mods? Will you be able to afford to fix it if it breaks? Can you do without the car if not? College is a busy time.

I got my first new car (a Neon ACR) as a treat for landing my first real job out of college. It felt good having earned it rather than scratching that "want" itch... Especially because the want itch would bankrupt me.

Not going to say you shouldn't jump in, but trying to share some things I've learned that might help you consider the options.

C
There's a ton of things to consider. I really think I could handle it but I think I want to wait like 3-4 more months just to save up a few more thousand and then find the right brz for me. Luckily vandalism isn't a problem where I live. And parking isn't an issue I have a garage. I can afford payments pretty easily, and mods can be done in my garage for sure! Just have to be patient like you said which is hard to do when I daily an automatic cobalt 🙄Kills me just wanna be driving my manual brz around already. First car I learned to drive was manual and its a lot better then auto, really don't like auto haha.
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #44
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcas View Post
There's a ton of things to consider. I really think I could handle it but I think I want to wait like 3-4 more months just to save up a few more thousand and then find the right brz for me. Luckily vandalism isn't a problem where I live. And parking isn't an issue I have a garage. I can afford payments pretty easily, and mods can be done in my garage for sure! Just have to be patient like you said which is hard to do when I daily an automatic cobalt ��Kills me just wanna be driving my manual brz around already. First car I learned to drive was manual and its a lot better then auto, really don't like auto haha.
You'll do alright. I drove an S10 for years, and it was probably the perfect car to have even though I didn't particularly like it. Manual 4cyl, RWD, extended cab... could squeeze 3 people in it (not legal I'd guess, no seat belt on the milk crate...) and haul all our supplies (art students need to haul crazy stuff!)

That Cobalt gets you here and there, hauls people, is quiet (I assume...), doesn't freak out your date when you try to show off.... lots of good things about it. Not sure if it's paid off, but the insurance is probably half what the BRZ would be. Not having monthly payments is so nice. Lets you do that summer gig because you can skip the bills when you don't have any... (I missed a summer in India because... well, I didn't have a car payment, just an apartment with 2 roommates, but hell, it was stupid to pass on that opportunity).

Even better, save up for one so you can pay cash when you get there. You're just as actively paying for it. Force yourself the monthly amount into a savings account - that proves you can handle it (plus, if you set aside the extra the insurance would cost you'll get there faster). They'll be around when it's time to buy one.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
Jcas (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 12:12 AM   #45
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Any financial planner will tell you to buy used, if you have to buy a car. Cars are NOT investments, period. Cars are necessities at their lowest level and enjoyment at their best.

I chose new because it's only new once, and I'll know the history of the car. It will also have a warranty for when the inevitable issues crop up (been minor stuff, but it's fixed for free). It's MINE and nobody has smoked in it, or done some ungodly bullshit repairs to it that I've had to deal with on other cars.

The piece of mind was worth the added cost IMHO, but that's 100% a personal thing and I don't look down on people that buy used at all.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poodles For This Useful Post:
Jcas (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 12:55 AM   #46
Berzerk

Drives: '17 CWP Limited BRZ w/PP
I purchased new. Knowing what I know now about the car and how I want to go about with it, I probably should have bought used. I don't really regret buying new because I do love my car and knowing that it has been unmolested and no prior history.

After having my BRZ for about eight months, I realize I can't resist the mod bug. I haven't done a lot to my car, but I'd love to do a lot more. It would have been better to buy used at lower cost to support modding.
Berzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Berzerk For This Useful Post:
Jcas (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 02:23 AM   #47
EdBoy
Driver

Drives: 16 Subaru BRZ
if it fits your budget and you really want one, then yes used is more practicable. If you really want a new car then be sure that you can afford it.
Usually people buy used due to cheaper price because lets be real, depreciation factor.
The Following User Says Thank You to EdBoy For This Useful Post:
Jcas (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 04:49 AM   #48
Roth

Drives: 2013 Gt86
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBoy View Post
Usually people buy used due to cheaper price because lets be real, depreciation factor.
This is why I took mine used. Very low mileage (under 10k miles) and well maintained, bone stock and owned previously by an adult man in his 50s.

It's "as new" and I saved a lot.
Here in Norway we have crazy high taxes on cars, so a new Gt86 comes at about 500'000 Norwegian Kroner (62thousands US dollars, today).

Plus, with a good insurance that covers every kind of mechanical issue, the toyota warranty is not a determinant factor.
Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roth For This Useful Post:
Jcas (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 07:26 AM   #49
Jcas

Drives: 2013 Limited Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
You'll do alright. I drove an S10 for years, and it was probably the perfect car to have even though I didn't particularly like it. Manual 4cyl, RWD, extended cab... could squeeze 3 people in it (not legal I'd guess, no seat belt on the milk crate...) and haul all our supplies (art students need to haul crazy stuff!)

That Cobalt gets you here and there, hauls people, is quiet (I assume...), doesn't freak out your date when you try to show off.... lots of good things about it. Not sure if it's paid off, but the insurance is probably half what the BRZ would be. Not having monthly payments is so nice. Lets you do that summer gig because you can skip the bills when you don't have any... (I missed a summer in India because... well, I didn't have a car payment, just an apartment with 2 roommates, but hell, it was stupid to pass on that opportunity).

Even better, save up for one so you can pay cash when you get there. You're just as actively paying for it. Force yourself the monthly amount into a savings account - that proves you can handle it (plus, if you set aside the extra the insurance would cost you'll get there faster). They'll be around when it's time to buy one.
Yeah the cobalt does what it needs to do gets me from point A to B no prolems and for the most part she's quite haha. But yeah I feel you def would limit doing things that cost a bit more to do and you would miss out on opportunities. But yeah think the best thing to do like you said is just save and when he time is right there will be one for me. Thanks for the advice on everything really appreciate it.
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #50
perryair
junior mafia

Drives: ‘20 sti limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
well, look at everyone you see posting on these boards and how often you see "changing back to stock". on a brand new car with it being the kind that a lot of people mod you can at least be sure that there wasnt a terribly installed turbo with a tune that may not be correctly wiped off and suspension mods that may or may not have damaged any of the structural integrity of anything, for just some rough and totally random examples.

but yes, you do get to be able to take advantage of someone else paying depreciation if you do go used. if you go that route, try to at least find an example with a carfax that shows one owner and regular service intervals and use the extra money on your own mods.. which no doubt you will take off and sell to someone else that is hoping that you didn't do a bad job with your mods.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #51
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth View Post
Here in Norway we have crazy high taxes on cars, so a new Gt86 comes at about 500'000 Norwegian Kroner (62thousands US dollars, today).
Holy Shit!

You guys should lobby to use some of that oil money for lower car taxes.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #52
EdBoy
Driver

Drives: 16 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth View Post
This is why I took mine used. Very low mileage (under 10k miles) and well maintained, bone stock and owned previously by an adult man in his 50s.

It's "as new" and I saved a lot.

Plus, with a good insurance that covers every kind of mechanical issue, the toyota warranty is not a determinant factor.

wow! thats quite a lot.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #53
JeremyR

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcas View Post
My plans for the car include modding it of course. It's just such a nice platform to work with and I really like it. I have everything planned out already that I want for it and what not just of course finding one that is good enough condition and passes what I think is exceptional car can be challenging. It's kind of unfortunate that I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and I like things to be super maintained and everything to be in it's place, also little bit of OCD haha. But I think used is the way I'd like to go for sure.

I'm the exact same way! Although I bought my car sight unseen, so I was less than thrilled at the minor cosmetic issues it had. (which have all, for the most part, been fixed)

If I had to do it again, I would of just bought local so I could inspect the car better. I got a great deal though, which left me with more money for mods, so I guess that makes up for it.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #54
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There are certainly pros and cons for each.
The guys that bought used will say it is better.
The guys that bought new will say it is.
Both have very valid points but will say the other group are wrong.
both groups are wrong
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~el~jefe~ For This Useful Post:
Beachin86 (10-09-2017), Tcoat (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 05:50 PM   #55
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I bought slightly used, as in a 2015 series.blue with 3,000 miles because I hated the red interior. I now kind of wish I bought a 2013 FRS and saved the money for mods, because I've changed a bunch more than I expected too, but oh well.

If you want to mod the car at all then might as well go used. Any imperfections can be modded away with something more to your liking for far less than getting a newer lower mileage car.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:38 PM   #56
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
for now, yes, cuz they are all super low mile.

Plus it's easy to find one that's not boosted before...
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, subaru, subie, used or new