follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-07-2017, 08:49 PM   #1
Xaftos
The Stripes Add HP

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Advice on some first mods?

Hey guys, I'm a newbie modder that has been researching and taking input from numerous people across the internet and I'm starting to come to a conclusion on what I want to get as my first mods.

From what I've been told, a new header is a safe bet for ez HP gainz and to sound meaner, and I've been suggested this header as my potential choice. If there's a specific header that any of you recommend, I'm always open to suggestions as long as it remains under $1000 for this specific part. I'm also interested in getting a throttle body spacer, as it'll free up my engine a little bit and costs virtually nothing in comparison. I could, to tag along with that, get an entirely new throttle body as well.

Let me know what your thoughts are, and what I should go ahead and do. It's just kinda intimidating as these mods are a decent chunk of change and I want to make sure it's the right choice for my vehicle.

Thanks in advance! From what I've seen you are all generally helpful people, so I'm looking forward to seeing your responses.
Xaftos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:52 PM   #2
carsebuco
How do I shift?

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
New tires. Finally switched from stock and holy chit, it makes a huge difference.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:53 PM   #3
Xaftos
The Stripes Add HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsebuco View Post
New tires. Finally switched from stock and holy chit, it makes a huge difference.
Ah yeah, I actually forgot to include this in my main post. I've been considering 18" 245's, as I've seen both 17" and 18" 245's in some posts around here as recommendations.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Throttle body is a do last item that will give very little gains even then. Don't mod random things just for the sake of modding.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96158
mrg666 (08-08-2017), Silver Supra (08-07-2017), Spuds (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 09:01 PM   #5
Borchert97

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'm assuming you have a 2017, since your profile says you have an 860? If so, the first things I'd do are a drop-in filter as well as a Perrin inlet hose to delete the resonator box and sound generator, unless you like that stuff. On my 2017, I didn't have the wing that you do, so I put that on first, and now I'm doing a Subaru auto-dimming mirror w/ compass and rexpeed polarized wide mirrors since headlights bother me at night and I do a lot of my driving at night, but next up for performance is a TRD catback + the two intake mods I mentioned.
Borchert97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
I don't know, this smells of troll. Anyone who took a minute to search would learn the throttle body or spacer has no real gain. And you really have to look for that on part sites.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:06 PM   #7
Xaftos
The Stripes Add HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borchert97 View Post
I'm assuming you have a 2017, since your profile says you have an 860? If so, the first things I'd do are a drop-in filter as well as a Perrin inlet hose to delete the resonator box and sound generator, unless you like that stuff. On my 2017, I didn't have the wing that you do, so I put that on first, and now I'm doing a Subaru auto-dimming mirror w/ compass and rexpeed polarized wide mirrors since headlights bother me at night and I do a lot of my driving at night, but next up for performance is a TRD catback + the two intake mods I mentioned.
This is correct, I do have a 2017 860. I've been told about drop-in filters as there's no point in getting a whole new CAI. I've heard about catbacks, but what does it do for performance? Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:07 PM   #8
Xaftos
The Stripes Add HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
I don't know, this smells of troll. Anyone who took a minute to search would learn the throttle body or spacer has no real gain. And you really have to look for that on part sites.
Not a troll. I just don't think I know how to research properly *shrug*
Old 08-07-2017, 09:08 PM   #9
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaftos View Post
This is correct, I do have a 2017 860. I've been told about drop-in filters as there's no point in getting a whole new CAI. I've heard about catbacks, but what does it do for performance? Thanks for the reply.
Catbacks do nothing for performance they just sound like they do.

What are your plans for using the car? Unless you have the exact same goals and plans as others then all the suggestions you will get are just a waste of time.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #10
Xaftos
The Stripes Add HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Catbacks do nothing for performance they just sound like they do.

What are your plans for using the car? Unless you have the exact same goals and plans as others then all the suggestions you will get are just a waste of time.
For simplicity's sake, to look nice, sound nice, and go fast. My car is a daily, and sometimes I do the occasional drive up fifty or so miles through some mountain roads. So, not sure exactly what you mean by these suggestions being useless.

Quick edit: I also have plans to track in the future.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:20 PM   #11
Tcoat

Quote:
For simplicity's sake, to look nice, sound nice, and go fast. My car is a daily, and sometimes I do the occasional drive up fifty or so miles through some mountain roads. So, not sure exactly what you mean by these suggestions being useless.
You will have guys telling you to turbo, slam, go with light weight pulleys, do engine swaps and all sorts of other weird and wonderful things. Some of those things are a great idea if tracking, hard parking at shows or drag racing but are piss poor for a daily driven street car. That is what I mean by some suggestions would be useless.
If you simply want to enhance the driving then start with the header, drop in filter and tires. Then drive for a bit to workout for yourself what else you may want to change. Don't base you plans on what some random stranger on the internet says he did. There are guys on here that will have you totally screw up your car if you follow their advice so tread carefully when following recommendations.
D5teph (08-08-2017), spike021 (08-07-2017), Spuds (08-07-2017), stranger things (08-08-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 09:26 PM   #12
Xaftos
The Stripes Add HP

Quote:
You will have guys telling you to turbo, slam, go with light weight pulleys, do engine swaps and all sorts of other weird and wonderful things. Some of those things are a great idea if tracking, hard parking at shows or drag racing but are piss poor for a daily driven street car. That is what I mean by some suggestions would be useless.
If you simply want to enhance the driving then start with the header, drop in filter and tires. Then drive for a bit to workout for yourself what else you may want to change. Don't base you plans on what some random stranger on the internet says he did. There are guys on here that will have you totally screw up your car if you follow their advice so tread carefully when following recommendations.
Thank you so much, and that's exactly why I've been waiting and observing for so long because I'm just unsure. If a header, drop-in, and tires are what you recommend then I will go ahead and begin. Is my header choice in the OP up to par? I've heard good things.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:32 PM   #13
Borchert97

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
A catback won't do too much for power gains, but it's, in my opinion, a necessary step to accomplish before you do a header. A catback might net you a couple hp, I know that Toyota advertised 10hp for the TRD CAI + catback a couple years back, but mostly the catback will get rid of the weak Camry/Impreza sounding stock exhaust note.

A drop-in filter definitely sounds like the way to go since most tuners say the stock airbox is actually the best option for this car, it's just that the stock filter is garbage.

A catback will increase exhaust flow to get you ready to put a header on, but just note that with a header you'll likely need a tune but I've seen some people put a header on without ever actually getting an engine light, and as far as I know, there are no tunes for 2017s quite yet. Until we get tunes, I'm not doing my header so I'll focus on other things like better wheels and tires, some aesthetic stuff like carbon fiber replacement shift trim and door handles as well as carbon fiber hood struts to delete the prop rod.

You could also replace the front and overpipe but I've heard that it's essentially useless except for sound, I had a guy at my work (I work at a Subaru), with a BRZ go with a catless Borla header, catless Borla front and overpipe, and Borla catback and it was extremely obnoxious, he ended up reverting the front and overpipe back to stock and it sounded much more controlled which still sounding mean, but not obnoxiously loud.
Borchert97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:37 PM   #14
Silver Supra
Hombre

Drives: 1994 Supra Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm a newbie .....
what I should go ahead and do. ....
Quote:
..... Don't mod random things just for the sake of modding.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96158
Read fully the thread that Tcoat referred to. That is the first thread I read when I came here, and still refer back to it.

Then - come back and ask specific questions in the relevant subforum!

BTW - there is a subforum specifically for all things track!

GL and Welcome.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver Supra For This Useful Post:
Spuds (08-07-2017), Tcoat (08-08-2017)

Tags
gt86, header, modding, mods, throttle body