follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #57
random

Drives: Multiple
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Chris Harris did write something terrible about Ferrari.
Yes, but it wasn't necessarily about the a specific model. Instead, it was about how Ferrari as a company is a control freak with regards to tuning their cars specifically for a review before blessing the reviewers to review their car.

I'd love to see more journalists in general say something like, "I really hate this car because ..." and provide legitimate reasons for their opinion. As much Top Gear is supposed to be about entertainment, at least they offer negative opinions about cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyron686 View Post
How does Ferrari stop owners from loaning cars for reviews?
I suppose they could always blacklist them from purchasing new models in the future? One would then only be able to buy one used.
random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #58
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
http://jalopnik.com/5760248

Quote:
Apart from the laughable track test stuff, as a journalist you are expressly forbidden from driving any current Ferrari road car without permission from the factory. So if I want to drive my mate's 458 tomorrow, I have to ask the factory. Will it allow me to drive the car? No: because it is of "unknown provenance," i.e. not tuned. I'm almost tempted to buy a 458, just for the joy of phoning Maranello every morning and asking if its OK if I take my kid to school.
Quote:
Where I've personally run into trouble is by using owners' cars for comparison tests. Ferrari absolutely hates this; even if you say unremittingly nice things about its cars, it goes ape shit. But you want to see a 458 against a GT3 RS so I'm going to deliver that story and that video. Likewise the 599 GTO and the GT2 RS. Ferrari honestly believes it can control every aspect of the media — it has actively intervened several times when I've asked to borrow owners' cars.
blu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #59
no_name

Drives: 2005 Hyundai Accent
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting to wish that this car wasn't so damn good so that I could justify my baseless opinion that it's too expensive.

GT86: "This car has two steering wheels: one is circular, the other is operated with the right foot."
no_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #60
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_name View Post
I'm starting to wish that this car wasn't so damn good so that I could justify my baseless opinion that it's too expensive.
That's priceless - better than 95% of what comes out of Clarkson on Top Gear. QOTD.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote