follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-13-2021, 01:18 AM   #1
Gamabouy

Drives: '14 Black GT86 AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy HELP! just serviced '14 AT 86 died on the road and won't start

Apologies for the long writeup but I wanted to share whatever relevant info there is.

I just had my car serviced at a popular garage in my area that deals with Subarus.

It was the 60K service and some other repairs as follows:

-Spark Plugs

-5W30 Oil and filter

-Differential Oil (I believe they also did trans oil but I am not sure)

-Fuel Filter and gasket (they removed the entire fuel pump assembly and changed it out except for the motor/pump)

-EPS Dampener (this requires the entire steering column to be removed) https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133606

-All fuel injectors cleaned, direct and port. I also had a DI replaced because apparently it was 'completely dead' as well as the seals for all the DI's changed.

I picked up the car 3 days ago to drive about 30 miles back home and there wasn't anything wrong with the car, it felt a bit sloppy/slow but I assumed it was cause they pulled the battery (the time was reset) and the ECU needed time to relearn.

The day after I took the car out to a store 2 miles away, parked for about 15 minutes and then came back to the car, put the AC to full (since it was 50C out) drove about a mile and then a couple meters after a speed bump the car stalled (CEL, Battery, ABS, TRC lights lit up) and I lost all engine power. I was able to pullover to the side of the road and put the car in Park, tried to restart and the starter would not even click/crank.

I tried starting the car multiple times and I heard a weird whine noise (sounded like it was coming from the steering wheel lock/immobilizer) but it wouldn't even crank (no starter noise). I only had a 10mm wrench with me so I unplugged the negative lead and pressed the brake pedal to drain the car and tried starting it again with the battery connected, the weird whine went away but it still would not crank. I am certain the car detects the key fob since it shows green on the dash.

The battery was at 12.3V and was replaced only a month ago, I am fairly certain the battery is not the issue and if the alternator were shot it would have drained the battery too. OBD Scanner detected a code DTC U0100. I still could put the car in ACC mode, turn on the AC and change the gears.

I sent the car back to the same garage to have it looked at but now I am a bit torn on what to do once I get the car back since we drive on the highway at 140kph normally (87mph) and having the engine die in such cases could put me and the passengers in danger.

UPDATE: The garage called me back saying the car starts again, apparently it was the fuse for the "fuel control systems", he also mentioned that it was not because of the repairs they did . I told them to drive it and make sure it does not do it again but I am worried it might happen again and not in a residential area like the last time. Is there any way I can make sure it does not happen again? or actually track down what caused the fuse to blow? (I asked the garage to see why it blew but they stated there was no short circuit or anything )

TL;DR AT 86 died on the road after certain extensive repairs and services and now I am worried it might happen again on the freeway
Gamabouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:03 AM   #2
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
There is no way to be certain it won't happen again. Anything can break at any moment. It's just incredibly unlikely. Injector fuse blowing is kinda odd though. Find out which one it is and carry spares and whatever tool you need to replace it. That way if it fails again, at least you won't be stranded. If it does fail again then that rules out it being a fluke and the root cause will need found

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #3
Gamabouy

Drives: '14 Black GT86 AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I got the car back today, spoke to the technician who worked on my car and he said they burned through 10 fuses trying to figure out the problem, turns out it was the Fuel Injector Control Module that kept blowing a fuse.

He said they noticed some of the pins were bent on the connector and fixed it, and the fuse stopped blowing.

I have driven the car for about 50 miles now and so far so good but I am still fearful it will die out
Gamabouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:41 PM   #4
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamabouy View Post
I got the car back today, spoke to the technician who worked on my car and he said they burned through 10 fuses trying to figure out the problem, turns out it was the Fuel Injector Control Module that kept blowing a fuse.

He said they noticed some of the pins were bent on the connector and fixed it, and the fuse stopped blowing.

I have driven the car for about 50 miles now and so far so good but I am still fearful it will die out

No doubt that was something that THEY did during the engine replacement. I sure hope they fessed up tp their mistake and didn’t charge you anything to diagnose and fix it.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 11:35 PM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Oh, it's probably OK now.

However, I would make sure your road side assistance plan is up to date and you keep a fully charged cell phone with you, just in case.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote