follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What do I do?
Keep the BRZ, go forced induction 20 38.46%
Pre-order Focus RS 8 15.38%
Go for a used Porsche 15 28.85%
Something else 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2015, 04:57 PM   #43
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,013 Times in 2,337 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
Factory tuned fa20dit found in the JDM STI-S, 305 hp, 311 lb*ft.
Factory tuned fa20dit found in the WRX s4 296 hp, 295 lb*ft.

I don't think its fair to judge the fa20dit from its NA tune.
Forgive me for being lazy on this, but is that really just a tune? I recall reading threads on the stock US WRX hitting 20+ PSI just to get 268 hp. I know it isn't a huge amount more, but I would be surprised if the JDM STI-S hit 305 with the same turbo. Willing/hoping to be wrong, though.

@OP The only advice I can offer is don't buy a car without test driving it. If you can put a refundable deposit on a Focus RS and change your mind if you don't like how it drives, great. Just don't commit to buying it without getting behind the wheel first. Aside from that, research what you like, test drive them, and then buy the one which works best for you.

Last edited by ScoobsMcGee; 06-17-2015 at 05:00 PM. Reason: How I mention for fish?
ScoobsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:01 PM   #44
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobsMcGee View Post
Forgive me for being lazy on this, but is that really just a tune? I recall reading threads on the stock US WRX hitting 20+ PSI just to get 268 hp. I know it isn't a huge amount more, but I would be surprised if the JDM STI-S hit 305 with the same turbo. Willing/hoping to be wrong, though.
@SCHN3LL The only advice I can offer is don't buy a car without test driving it. If you can put a refundable deposit on a Focus RS and change your mind if you don't like how it drives, great. Just don't commit to buying it without getting behind the wheel first. Aside from that, research what you like, test drive them, and then buy the one which works best for you.

Its just a tune.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (06-18-2015), ScoobsMcGee (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 05:03 PM   #45
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobsMcGee View Post
@SCHN3LL The only advice I can offer is don't buy a car without test driving it. If you can put a refundable deposit on a Focus RS and change your mind if you don't like how it drives, great. Just don't commit to buying it without getting behind the wheel first. Aside from that, research what you like, test drive them, and then buy the one which works best for you.
It spikes to around 19psi briefly but has a normal peak of 15.9psi. Just a tune alone puts the new wrx from 215wheel to 275wheel. Downpipe and intake will put it over 300whp.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
ScoobsMcGee (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 05:15 PM   #46
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
NA = North American.
Thanks for playing though.

And are you seriously saying that an aftermarket kit with an aftermarket tune, while making the same HP, has the same reliability as an engine with a factory turbo tuning?
No, I'm saying that if you're going through the effort of swapping the engine that 65 hp is not worth it.

After all if you fault an aftermarket tune sacrificing reliability the same logic must be applied to both engines. Unless you know of a dealership willing to flash a tune that will produce that kind of power.

If you can get a reliable 300 horses out of an FA20DIT and meet smog emissions then that's kickass, but as far as I'm concerned I would not consider it more reliable than the current aftermarket supercharging options on the FA20 given how new Subaru is to DI engines (the D4-S system in the FA20 is nearly 10 years old at this point and early iterations were out in the 90's) and that in the US you'd be using an aftermarket tune to get there. After factoring in the cost of sourcing the engine and the custom fabwork just doesn't add up to me.

I was wrong about how receptive the FA20DIT is to tuning. Feel free to link me to an engine that popped running an OTS CARB tune and I'll drop it completely.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (06-17-2015), tahdizzle (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #47
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
No, I'm saying that if you're going through the effort of swapping the engine that 65 hp is not worth it.

After all if you fault an aftermarket tune sacrificing reliability the same logic must be applied to both engines. Unless you know of a dealership willing to flash a tune that will produce that kind of power.

If you can get a reliable 300 horses out of an FA20DIT and meet smog emissions then that's kickass, but as far as I'm concerned I would not consider it more reliable than the current aftermarket supercharging options on the FA20 given how new Subaru is to DI engines (the D4-S system in the FA20 is nearly 10 years old at this point and early iterations were out in the 90's) and that in the US you'd be using an aftermarket tune to get there. After factoring in the cost of sourcing the engine and the custom fabwork just doesn't add up to me.

I was wrong about how receptive the FA20DIT is to tuning. Feel free to link me to an engine that popped running an OTS CARB tune and I'll drop it completely.

Only thing I was trying to clear up is: the fa20dit is NOT a lack luster engine.

In my original post I mentioned if it were feasable in Cali. All this is in development and there are no answers... Yet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (06-17-2015), strat61caster (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #48
Nothingman

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
used lotus Elise or Exige
Nothingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:30 PM   #49
reni
Nobody beats the B[I|R]Z

Drives: shopping cart i stole from walmart
Thanked 1,145 Times in 456 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Porsche

and now we return you to your regularly scheduled off topic bickering
reni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:38 PM   #50
computeruser

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Keep the car you have, pay it off, and drive it. Take the money you save by not swapping like-new cars every year or two and put that money in your IRA or some sort of investment vehicle.
computeruser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to computeruser For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-18-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 12:12 AM   #51
jdmblood

Drives: white subaru brz
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Has anyone seen a US civic type R?

If they have, what are the specs?

Don't assume that the civic type R you've been jerking it too for the past year is the same civic type R thay MAY come to the US>

I've been jerking it to the 9th Gen type r. If the us does get a type r it will be a tenth Gen and we don't know what it looks like yet.
jdmblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:14 AM   #52
jdmblood

Drives: white subaru brz
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Granted we haven't driven either yet... but that's just stupid. And that's coming from a Honda owner and racer with connections to HPD and big Honda race teams.

Fanboyism is dumb and generalized statements like that are nothing but fanboyism.

fanboyism is life
jdmblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:03 AM   #53
phobos512

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I've had 16 vehicles in 17 years and 2 months of driving/motorcycling. I'd say you're falling behind there chief. I'm wrestling with this too though. Keep the twin once it's paid for or move on. I'm struggling with being responsible and keeping it for a change since not having a car payment would be nice. But so many crazy exciting vehicles are coming out over the next few years.

Me personally, given your situation I'd love the Porsche but I'd probably go Focus RS just to have a new vehicle. HOWEVER, I personally love Porsches. I've driven several, and by 2017 I'll be able to afford a GT3 all day long. They're magic. AND the seats in the Focus ST are absolutely crap (the base seats have no bolstering and the "Recaros" (Fakaros) have waaaay too much lumbar and it's nonadjustable) so I worry that they'll be crap in the RS too (unless they're using the Mustang Recaros that are actually Recaros - those are amazing).
Old 06-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #54
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos512 View Post
I've had 16 vehicles in 17 years and 2 months of driving/motorcycling. I'd say you're falling behind there chief. I'm wrestling with this too though. Keep the twin once it's paid for or move on. I'm struggling with being responsible and keeping it for a change since not having a car payment would be nice. But so many crazy exciting vehicles are coming out over the next few years.

Me personally, given your situation I'd love the Porsche but I'd probably go Focus RS just to have a new vehicle. HOWEVER, I personally love Porsches. I've driven several, and by 2017 I'll be able to afford a GT3 all day long. They're magic. AND the seats in the Focus ST are absolutely crap (the base seats have no bolstering and the "Recaros" (Fakaros) have waaaay too much lumbar and it's nonadjustable) so I worry that they'll be crap in the RS too (unless they're using the Mustang Recaros that are actually Recaros - those are amazing).
16 vehicles in 17 years? I've owned 16 vehicles in 7 years, with at least 10 being in the last 18 months...
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:35 AM   #55
phobos512

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
16 vehicles in 17 years? I've owned 16 vehicles in 7 years, with at least 10 being in the last 18 months...
Good on ya. That's what I'm talking about.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:42 AM   #56
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos512 View Post
Good on ya. That's what I'm talking about.
It's nice to experience a lot of different vehicles. I have kept the BRZ and built it up while trying out some cheaper sub $10k cars and trucks on the side. I still have yet to own anything with more than 6 cylinders or a muscle car yet...
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, focus rs, new car, porsche