follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-02-2020, 01:45 AM   #1
ItsReiko

Drives: 2017 subaru brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Will catless Front Pipe Introduce Rasp even with stock headers/overpipe?

Hi everyone, I want to add volume to my Perrin 2.5in catback and want to get a catless front pipe to do so. However, the last thing I want is any sort of rasp. I've read a lot of posts here indicating that a stock front pipe is very important to keep rasp down.

However, if I get a catless front pipe paired with my Perrin, but retain the OEM header and overpipe, I will still have any rasp issue? Would like to hear from your experiences.

Btw, what would be louder between these two? A catted aftermarket header or a catless front pipe? Considering if only one of them were changed in a setup.

Thanks
ItsReiko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ItsReiko For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (05-04-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 02:33 AM   #2
el_chicocali

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
there shouldn’t be any rasp, i did this with a stock header / op - invidia catless front pipe and berk muffler delete, it just gets a deeper tone and a bit loud, didn’t experience any rasp.
el_chicocali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:14 PM   #3
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
it entirely depends on the front pipe design (and not a question of whether it has a catalytic converter or not)

I ran a Berk front pipe on a completely stock car and the stock exhaust had weird rattles under load.

Some front pipes have larger resonator or a Helmholtz resonator design that make it just as quiet as the factory front pipe without a catalytic converter.

the factory front pipe is essentially two large resonators since the catalytic converter is large with baffles. aftermarket front pipes tend to use smaller high flow universal cats, they almost always end up being the same size.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:20 AM   #4
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
it entirely depends on the front pipe design (and not a question of whether it has a catalytic converter or not)

I ran a Berk front pipe on a completely stock car and the stock exhaust had weird rattles under load.

Some front pipes have larger resonator or a Helmholtz resonator design that make it just as quiet as the factory front pipe without a catalytic converter.

the factory front pipe is essentially two large resonators since the catalytic converter is large with baffles. aftermarket front pipes tend to use smaller high flow universal cats, they almost always end up being the same size.
You seem like you might be the right person to ask: how does a stock fp with the cat punched out compare to a straight through front pipe? I'm aware the stock fp will still have the muffler in its downstream end. How much noise if any do you think that muffler in the stock fp dampens?
Old 05-04-2020, 02:51 AM   #5
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
When I changed my frontpipe with a catted/custom resonated Berk frontpipe (Tomei headers+overpipe already in the car, stock catback) the only difference was cleaner boxer sound than with the factory frontpipe and slightly louder.
So it really depends from the frontpipe resonators, buy one that has at least two of them say Apexi, HKS etc, I sell mine almost new but you are faraway!

JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #6
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
You seem like you might be the right person to ask: how does a stock fp with the cat punched out compare to a straight through front pipe? I'm aware the stock fp will still have the muffler in its downstream end. How much noise if any do you think that muffler in the stock fp dampens?
all depends on the size of your resonators throughout the exhaust system.

there's no way to give you an answer, because volume of sound (in db) is one of the worst things to quantify with words.

It just comes down to what the end goal is: to say "I want something louder and more aggressive but no rasp or annoying things" is very generic. to have something else to compare against is better... but YouTube videos filmed on a GoPro or cell phone doesn't help because of the poor microphone used to capture sound.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
HaXx (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 05:24 PM   #7
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have to add note, size not as in "bigger is better", but as in "right" size. Depending on their size resonators work for specific frequencies. If they are to reduce drone/rasp at specific frequencies they need to be sized right for that. It's simpler to design/test exhaust system as a whole (or to work with something most common, eg. stock rest of exhaust bits), but when customers do different combinations of parts from multiple vendors, result is often left to chance/luck. :/
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:23 PM   #8
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsReiko View Post
Hi everyone, I want to add volume to my Perrin 2.5in catback and want to get a catless front pipe to do so. However, the last thing I want is any sort of rasp. I've read a lot of posts here indicating that a stock front pipe is very important to keep rasp down.

However, if I get a catless front pipe paired with my Perrin, but retain the OEM header and overpipe, I will still have any rasp issue? Would like to hear from your experiences.

Btw, what would be louder between these two? A catted aftermarket header or a catless front pipe? Considering if only one of them were changed in a setup.

Thanks
I have HKS dual resonator front pipe with HKS HiPower SpecL exhaust and stock header - not much louder and no rasp or drone.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #9
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I would like to know how the Fujitsubo dual resonated cattless front pipe would compare to a Resonated and Catted (like the JDL Ultra Quiet) front pipe, in terms of sound level and rasp.

Perhaps @mav1178 can speak to this?

This would be in conjunction with a 4-2-1 EL header and a MXP SP cat back. I want to know if I should expect a huge jump in noise by replacing the stock front pipe with either of those options.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:22 PM   #10
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
I will add my experience, I went with jdl catless header with stock FP and invidious Q300 catback. Very quiet at idle but good sound when on it. Went to the hooker FP catted with helmholz resonator and was only slightly louder than stock. The cat broke loose so I went with jdl catted and resonated FP. Maybe a little louder than the hooker. I am getting more rasp but I think my Q300 is getting louder over time (known issue). Debating what to do about it. Sounds great in the car, but sometimes a little raspier than it used to be with the windows open. Only thing stopping me is it’s so expensive to change for a sound that may not be that different.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:02 PM   #11
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
I will add my experience, I went with jdl catless header with stock FP and invidious Q300 catback. Very quiet at idle but good sound when on it. Went to the hooker FP catted with helmholz resonator and was only slightly louder than stock. The cat broke loose so I went with jdl catted and resonated FP. Maybe a little louder than the hooker. I am getting more rasp but I think my Q300 is getting louder over time (known issue). Debating what to do about it. Sounds great in the car, but sometimes a little raspier than it used to be with the windows open. Only thing stopping me is it’s so expensive to change for a sound that may not be that different.
The cat broke loose in my Hooker FP as well.
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:39 PM   #12
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
I would like to know how the Fujitsubo dual resonated cattless front pipe would compare to a Resonated and Catted (like the JDL Ultra Quiet) front pipe, in terms of sound level and rasp.

Perhaps @mav1178 can speak to this?

This would be in conjunction with a 4-2-1 EL header and a MXP SP cat back. I want to know if I should expect a huge jump in noise by replacing the stock front pipe with either of those options.
The Fujitsubo is absolutely the quietest and less raspy, but it's uncatted. I'll go with a catless header and I want to keep a cat.
There's a catted version of Fujitsubo front pipe, but it's sold just with all the EPU exhaust.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:07 PM   #13
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
The cat broke loose in my Hooker FP as well.
Yeah, mine sat in the shed for a longtime. Just sold it to a local guy. He got a deal, says he’s gonna have his guy weld it in. I’ll check back with him in a month or so and see how it turn out. It’s a nice piece but the quality just is not that good.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:55 PM   #14
ItsReiko

Drives: 2017 subaru brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
Which component of your exhaust is causing your rasp?

In the end, I went with a catless Tomei EL header to pair with my stock over/front pipe and Perrin 2.5 resonated catback. From the single youtube video on earth that you can find with this setup, it sounds like it will increase volume but still have zero rasp, which I did not previously know was possible with a catless header.

I'm in this mostly for sound, but hopefully this will also increase performance a bit since I'm already running e85 on stock 2017 headers.
ItsReiko is offline   Reply With Quote