follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-24-2023, 01:15 PM   #1331
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
Fun fact, wind turbine mounting structures load calculations are based on the blade area being a solid disc, as the impedance to airflow the blades provide is technically similar.

So next time you pass a wind farm, imagine sticking that large of a flat disc of material up on a stick in a windy area, when I can't even hold a 4x8' sheet of plywood up in my driveway!
You've probably seen the size of the buried concrete foundations of those things. They are immense.

And they quickly feather the blades in strongish winds.
soundman98 (04-24-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 05:36 PM   #1332
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
While I don't doubt the fact efficiency can be gained on a EV through better heat mgmt, I'd take any positive Tesla news with a grain of salt when the article is followed by a Tesla referral code.

But yeah, apart from these gains there are no physics-bending way to run ancillaries. Any energy has to come from somewhere, just like it does on an ICE's ancillaries.

I do wonder whether a steam turbine would make sense to generate electrical power on an ICE, since 60% of gasoline's theoretical power is dissipated.
Years ago, before I got an engineering degree and learned to calculate stuff, I had read something about an ICE with extra steam powered stroke(s) or something along those lines. No idea if it made any sense or even if it was a real thing.
Old 04-25-2023, 04:23 AM   #1333
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Years ago, before I got an engineering degree and learned to calculate stuff, I had read something about an ICE with extra steam powered stroke(s) or something along those lines. No idea if it made any sense or even if it was a real thing.

Well the theory behind it sure makes sense, but there are a few hurdles I can already think of, like:

-some ancillaries like the water pump or AC need to start running as soon as the engine starts up, they can't wait until the engine warms up and builds steam pressure
-you can map the alternator to only work in braking situations, which is a far simpler solution than a steam turbine

However, using a steam turbine to charge a hybrid battery that provides power assist would make sense on paper, and could provide a mileage boost to closed-circuit hybrids in situation where they don't use KERS, such as constant-speed highway driving. The only research paper I could find on this is from Egypt and is 20 years old so it's either super-duper-confidential, or not something being worked on.

It's likely too late for an idea like this that only provides marginal gains, in a world where PHEVs and BEVs will soon take over.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alex87f For This Useful Post:
Spuds (04-25-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 08:57 AM   #1334
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
Well the theory behind it sure makes sense, but there are a few hurdles I can already think of, like:

-some ancillaries like the water pump or AC need to start running as soon as the engine starts up, they can't wait until the engine warms up and builds steam pressure
-you can map the alternator to only work in braking situations, which is a far simpler solution than a steam turbine

However, using a steam turbine to charge a hybrid battery that provides power assist would make sense on paper, and could provide a mileage boost to closed-circuit hybrids in situation where they don't use KERS, such as constant-speed highway driving. The only research paper I could find on this is from Egypt and is 20 years old so it's either super-duper-confidential, or not something being worked on.

It's likely too late for an idea like this that only provides marginal gains, in a world where PHEVs and BEVs will soon take over.
My guess is the latter lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (04-25-2023), MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires (04-25-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 10:35 AM   #1335
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires

Drives: what
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/26/2...-affordable-ev

GM killing off the Bolt, rip
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:05 PM   #1336
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires View Post
Yeah, too bad, but the people have spoken, and they want giant trucks and not small, affordable cars, and there are investors to consider--capitalism, right?

Quote:
Barra said it was in order to shift operations at its assembly plant in Orion Township, Mich., toward the production of two electric trucks: the GMC Sierra EV and the Chevy Silverado EV.

"We'll need this capacity because our trucks more than measure up to our customers' expectations, and we'll demonstrate that work and EV range are not mutually exclusive terms for Chevrolet and GMC trucks," Barra told investors.
Quote:
Though GM relies heavily on sales from gas- and diesel-powered trucks and SUVs, the company announced two years ago that it was setting a goal of producing only electric vehicles by the year 2035.

"When the Chevrolet Bolt EV launched, it was a huge technical achievement and the first affordable EV, which set in motion GM's all-electric future," GM spokesperson Cody Williams told NPR via email.

Now the company is shifting gears, turning some of those popular trucks into EVs and launching other electric models later this year, including the Chevy Blazer EV and the Chevy Equinox EV, Williams added.

When GM's Orion assembly plant reopens in 2024 and reaches full production capacity, Barra said in the call with investors, jobs will nearly triple there and the company will be able to build 600,000 electric trucks each year.
https://www.npr.org/2023/04/26/11721...vehicle-ending
Old 04-26-2023, 04:07 PM   #1337
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Well, that's what she said, but really it's being replaced by the Equinox EV so they can get the Ultium battery in the bottom level car, and it can DCFS. I really think they didn't want to re-engineer the Bolt for that.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 04:57 PM   #1338
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Yeah, too bad, but the people have spoken, and they want giant trucks and not small, affordable cars, and there are investors to consider--capitalism, right?

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/26/11721...vehicle-ending
Thank God. I wouldn't want it any other way
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 05:59 PM   #1339
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Quote:
CAFE regs are skewed to favor trucks/SUVs over cars, and also to favor *larger* cars over smaller. Automakers find it easier to meet regs with bigger, less-efficient vehicles. Level the CAFE across the board, make it more stringent every year, and we'll get a lot more reasonable size/weight vehicles on the road and fewer monsters.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:28 PM   #1340
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Well, that's what she said, but really it's being replaced by the Equinox EV so they can get the Ultium battery in the bottom level car, and it can DCFS. I really think they didn't want to re-engineer the Bolt for that.
Why do you say that? Seems like they could build any new gen compact with a similar shell and call it a Bolt. I see no reasons why they would be able to build a new, EV Equinox, but would be stuck reengineering and retrofitting a new powertrain to the old Bolt.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:51 PM   #1341
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Thank God. I wouldn't want it any other way
I always thank God for capitalism too and for God to save capitalism from capitalism.

https://fortune.com/2023/04/05/end-o...orate-profits/
Capt Spaulding (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 07:32 PM   #1342
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
I always thank God for capitalism too and for God to save capitalism from capitalism.

https://fortune.com/2023/04/05/end-o...orate-profits/
Agreed, except for the first clause.
Irace86.2.0 (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 07:43 PM   #1343
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
CAFE regs are skewed to favor trucks/SUVs over cars, and also to favor *larger* cars over smaller. Automakers find it easier to meet regs with bigger, less-efficient vehicles. Level the CAFE across the board, make it more stringent every year, and we'll get a lot more reasonable size/weight vehicles on the road and fewer monsters.

Are we really going back to this conversation? People are choosing to buy these vehicles. Like yes, CAFE standards aren't as strict for SUVs and light duty trucks than cars, but heavier vehicles are harder to make efficient too, so either way, it is hard on manufactures. They are selling SUVs and trucks because people want to buy them, and because there is greater profit margin on selling larger vehicles with larger engines and with more stuff. Every industry is trying to upsell you to a larger and more expensive version of the same thing whether we are talking about a double cheese Whopper with XL soda or your 75" TV with 8K resolution.

CAFE standards will likely evolve to apply to EVS, but all EVs meet CAFE standards. Even the Hummer EV gets 52 MPGe, so manufactures could sell only Hummer EVs and not pay a CAFE fine. Discontinuing the Bolt for EV trucks is just good business for them--more money in their pockets. It would also remove more ICE trucks off the road, which do emit more emissions, so by replacing the Bolt with the EV trucks, they are making more money, reducing the fines they might be paying on the trucks and reducing emissions more. Sounds like a win/win, even if it is less than optimal.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:55 PM   #1344
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Why do you say that? Seems like they could build any new gen compact with a similar shell and call it a Bolt. I see no reasons why they would be able to build a new, EV Equinox, but would be stuck reengineering and retrofitting a new powertrain to the old Bolt.
It is pretty much the consensus on several forums I read. They could do what you said but the Bolt didn't meet their sales projections primarily based on it's looks, and the Equinox is closer to what sells these days.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote