follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
ph0en1xtk

Drives: Raven MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Head unit wiring issue. Please help

Hello there everyone. I recently purchased a new head unit for my 86, along with the metra harness and dash kit. I had the unit installed just fine for about 2 weeks, with no problems at all, but when i went to test my rear view camera that i bought separately, i think i shorted something out. Immediately after hooking it up, the screen on my HU just shows white and is unresponsive. Thinking i shorted out the harness, i unhooked everything and tried hooking the unit up directly to the battery by touching the wires to the 2 battery terminals. Doing that made it boot up like normal, with no problems at all. So thinking i was right in shorting the harness, i took the opportunity to order the beatsonic harness and dash kit (as i was having problems with the metra fitment) and much to my dismay, i had the exact same problem with this one as well, now the unit wont even boot on at all from the harness, but still works fine on the battery (again)

This led me to believe that something is shorted even further down the line, but to me this doesnt make sense, because reinstalling my stock head unit works perfectly fine.

Can someone shed some light on this, as im at my wits end now, and im trying to avoid taking it to an expensive audio installer just to troubleshoot.
ph0en1xtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
F3dzo

Drives: 13 fr-s whiteout
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Check if you have a good ground. Or add a separate ground.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
ph0en1xtk

on the metra kit, it had a ground wire connection, but the beatsonic does not. I attached the ground wire from the HU to a metal bit on the inside of the dash. Should that be alright?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
ph0en1xtk

anyone got any ideas? still cant get it to come up