follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 05-31-2017, 03:43 PM   #2311
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oh the headers I will be going with will be catted, and there will also be an ultra quiet resonated catted overfront pipe. So hopefully the noise will be decent
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:21 PM   #2312
Silverfox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, Edelbrock SC, E-85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Oh the headers I will be going with will be catted, and there will also be an ultra quiet resonated catted overfront pipe. So hopefully the noise will be decent

I run full ACE catless and it's nice and quiet. Not a lot of guys like the center exit but a dual should be out this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:58 PM   #2313
retsehc

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava Fr-s
Garage
CEL code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foralong25 View Post
Long time lurker. I've had an Edelbrock SC issue for months, that has just been resolved.

My car is a 2015 MT Scion FR-S. I had CSG install the Edelbrock SC one year ago, at 25k miles. I used the CARB tune. Car is otherwise stock, except for Michelin Pilot Super Sports that I added later.

BRIEF EDELBROCK SC REVIEW:

Car has run great since the install. Acceleration is vastly improved. Car is much faster. Stock primacy tires are inadequate with the Edelbrock installed, giving rise to wild wheelspin. Stock clutch will roast somewhat if you feather or roll it in too slowly at high rpms, but is holding up so far (>38kmi). Car is less playful, more serious.

If you regularly drive with traction control off, and you make this upgrade, please keep traction control on until you are fully used to the increase in power.

Minor issues have included the following:
- fuel smell in oil (CARB tune runs a bit rich -- I changed to a 3k mile oil change interval to minimize impact)
- rev hang when clutched in at low speed
- occasional bucking/hesitation at mid-throttle
- initial CARB tune had massive surge of torque at 3k rpm (feature or bug?). This was smoothed out in the following iteration of the CARB tune.
- initial CARB tune less fruitful winding out above 5k rpm. Again, this seems to have been addressed in the following iteration.

DTCS P1170 & P0171

About 6 months ago the CEL and traction control light both came on. Car continued to run well -- no noticeable reduction in power. Car threw codes P1170 (port injector) and P0171 (lean condition).

I began troubleshooting with my normal garage. They inspected, cleaned the MAF, smoked exhaust, smoked intakes, found no leaks. They recommended returning to stock (!).

CSG then inspected and evaluated thoroughly. Among other things, they replaced MAF, replaced O2 sensor, and swapped injectors. Codes persisted.

I brought the vehicle in to Edelbrock. After an in-depth troubleshooting process, they determined that the bypass valve on the supercharger was leaking. This apparently resulted in pulled timing, which in turned resulted in detection of a lean condition. Edelbrock replaced the bypass valve. Codes are gone.

Edelbrock advised that it was very difficult to detect that the bypass valve was leaking.

I have been very impressed with both CSG and Edelbrock throughout this process.

i havent checked the OBDII yet but i have the same issue about car stalling on idle. CEL, traction ctrl and cruise ctrl light turned on when i was driving in the freeway.

i got a 2013 fr-s so warranty on the edelbrock is out of the question. The kit was installed two months ago by a licensed installer and only running on carb tune. Only has the catback exhaust mod everything else is stock.
retsehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:56 PM   #2314
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
I run full ACE catless and it's nice and quiet. Not a lot of guys like the center exit but a dual should be out this year.

the front pipe catless as well?
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #2315
Silverfox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, Edelbrock SC, E-85
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
the front pipe catless as well?

Yes. Only non ACE part. HKS dual Resonated catless.

Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:19 PM   #2316
itsibarra

Drives: Supercharged Car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by retsehc View Post
i havent checked the OBDII yet but i have the same issue about car stalling on idle. CEL, traction ctrl and cruise ctrl light turned on when i was driving in the freeway.

i got a 2013 fr-s so warranty on the edelbrock is out of the question. The kit was installed two months ago by a licensed installer and only running on carb tune. Only has the catback exhaust mod everything else is stock.
Warranty on the kit itself is still in effect for another 2 years, 10 months.

Your limited powertrain warranty is no longer valid... Which is a completely separate warranty and covers different components.

Last edited by itsibarra; 06-01-2017 at 08:25 PM.
itsibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #2317
clayrush

Drives: FRS,09 370z, 00 CelicaGT-S, 85 300Z
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foralong25 View Post
Long time lurker. I've had an Edelbrock SC issue for months, that has just been resolved.

My car is a 2015 MT Scion FR-S. I had CSG install the Edelbrock SC one year ago, at 25k miles. I used the CARB tune. Car is otherwise stock, except for Michelin Pilot Super Sports that I added later.

BRIEF EDELBROCK SC REVIEW:

Car has run great since the install. Acceleration is vastly improved. Car is much faster. Stock primacy tires are inadequate with the Edelbrock installed, giving rise to wild wheelspin. Stock clutch will roast somewhat if you feather or roll it in too slowly at high rpms, but is holding up so far (>38kmi). Car is less playful, more serious.

If you regularly drive with traction control off, and you make this upgrade, please keep traction control on until you are fully used to the increase in power.

Minor issues have included the following:
- fuel smell in oil (CARB tune runs a bit rich -- I changed to a 3k mile oil change interval to minimize impact)
- rev hang when clutched in at low speed
- occasional bucking/hesitation at mid-throttle
- initial CARB tune had massive surge of torque at 3k rpm (feature or bug?). This was smoothed out in the following iteration of the CARB tune.
- initial CARB tune less fruitful winding out above 5k rpm. Again, this seems to have been addressed in the following iteration.

DTCS P1170 & P0171

About 6 months ago the CEL and traction control light both came on. Car continued to run well -- no noticeable reduction in power. Car threw codes P1170 (port injector) and P0171 (lean condition).

I began troubleshooting with my normal garage. They inspected, cleaned the MAF, smoked exhaust, smoked intakes, found no leaks. They recommended returning to stock (!).

CSG then inspected and evaluated thoroughly. Among other things, they replaced MAF, replaced O2 sensor, and swapped injectors. Codes persisted.

I brought the vehicle in to Edelbrock. After an in-depth troubleshooting process, they determined that the bypass valve on the supercharger was leaking. This apparently resulted in pulled timing, which in turned resulted in detection of a lean condition. Edelbrock replaced the bypass valve. Codes are gone.

Edelbrock advised that it was very difficult to detect that the bypass valve was leaking.

I have been very impressed with both CSG and Edelbrock throughout this process.
I have been battling the same issue for about the same time. I guess i need to send an email and find what troubleshooting processes to go though.
clayrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #2318
RCSlide

Drives: Ultramarine 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Coolant pump turning on randomly

I've noticed that my kits water pump will turn on randomly when the car is not running.

I have heard it kick on a few times just walking through my garage when I haven't started the car in a day or two.

My room mate confirmed that he will hear it click on randomly in the middle of the night (he sleeps right next to the garage)

I've been told that it should only turn on when the ECU is powered - any ideas?

Last edited by RCSlide; 06-03-2017 at 05:21 PM. Reason: added image
RCSlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:16 PM   #2319
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSlide View Post
I've noticed that my kits water pump will turn on randomly when the car is not running.

I have heard it kick on a few times just walking through my garage when I haven't started the car in a day or two.

My room mate confirmed that he will hear it click on randomly in the middle of the night (he sleeps right next to the garage)

While I don't have the Edelbrock kit, my Cosworth kit does that too!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:54 AM   #2320
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSlide View Post

are you SURE it's the water pump on the kit? The factory fuel pump? or something turns on even if the car is off, even in stock form.

"Approximately five hours after the engine is turned off, you may hear sound
coming from under the vehicle for several minutes. This is the sound of a fuel evaporation leakage check and, it does not indicate a malfunction."
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-04-2017), JoeS (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 10:37 AM   #2321
Gforce
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Even if directly powered and not through the ignition switch (ecu does not power or switch on the coolant pump, the ignition does that) the coolant pump should not run for more than a short time after shutdown. It should run for some time after the ignition is off, presumably to avoid boilover in the intercooler matrix. The system runs a pressure cap which blows off extra pressure just like a rad cap would.

Now how the run on period is controlled I don't know but that would be where I would be looking. I should've thought it was a time delay relay which is what turbo cars like SAAB and Audi use for this function, though for the main coolant circuit since they do not have liquid intercoolers. SAAB have a tune deiay relay to run the rad fan blowing air directly into the turbo and Audi use one to run a reverse coolant pump that backflows coolant from the rad through the two turbo bearing housings to prevent oil coking. Edelbrock runs the pump to clear the hot coolant out of the intercooler after shutdown.
Gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #2322
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin86 View Post
I've had the edelbrock setup + Delicious tune + Delicious dbox for a year now and am tempted to go e85... but am wondering if it's worth the risk on a stock motor.

Are these motors safe with e85 and the edelbrock charger? Delicious advertises 330whp, and I've heard that's borderline with the stock rods -how many edelbrock + e85 guys we got running safely in here?

Opinions?
I have over 10,000 miles on my Edelbrock supercharged engine with stock bottom end running e-85, with a dyno tune from Church Automotive. No problems at all since the tune.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #2323
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin86 View Post
Any others in the forums running e85 + edelbrock on a stock bottom end? How many miles on the setup? Track days?

Worth the risk?
I have over 10,000 miles on my Edelbrock supercharged engine with stock bottom end running e-85, with a dyno tune from Church Automotive. No problems at all since the tune. Of course I have bigger injectors and a bigger fuel pump. 323 at the wheels. I track my car at least 2 days a month.

I also am running a carless Top Speed header which has over 35,000 miles on it with no problems. HKS dual resonated down pipe and Invidia Q300 exhaust. Very quiet which is what I want, but still sounds good when you get on it.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:13 AM   #2324
Victor Draken

Drives: Toyota Gt86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
@cgsmike ypu have a pm