follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 06-27-2015, 10:12 AM   #2843
Alan

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Ltd. / E60 M5
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campo View Post
Wave at Singapore American School for me next time you drive by! I went to school there in '85-'86. Lived across the highway from Big Splash back when it was an actual waterpark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzerker View Post
Aye! Well.. Sadly the waterpark is gone now but some local car groups do actually hold many meets at the Big Splash area nowadays!
My mom still lives in Bedok. I don't make it back there nearly as much as I used to. 3 months a year every year until I started law school.

An afternoon at Big Splash followed by dinner at the Seafood Center was always a great day.

Hoping to make it back to S'pore for CNY in 2016. Look forward to some char kway teow at the hawker center near my mom's house -- hungry already!

Sorry for the OT.
2013 BRZ Limited | SWP | Verus Ventus 1 and High-Efficiency Rear Wing | Invidia N1 Ti | JR Oil Cooler | RCE T2 | RaceSeng Cas/Cam | SPL LCA & TA | Wilwood/RR Racing Stage II/Sport Performance | XP10 | Apex ARC-8 | Toyo R888R | 245/40-17 | Sparco Ergo II/Evo II | AIM MXP | SmartyCam GP HD 2.2
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alan For This Useful Post:
Campo (06-29-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 11:06 PM   #2844
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Following up on this post:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=2794

Autocrossed today, started out like I said I would at around 28 ish cold, felt best on the first run, went away on runs 2 & 3, coming up to the 29-30 range measuring after coming off, rolling a bit and hopping out, I believe I dropped 1 psi after run 2. I chatted up a guy who's wicked fast and his suggestion was to start the day at 25 cold and let them float up to 32 or 33. Based on that I dropped another 2 psi so hypothetically down to 25 cold and it worked really well. 27-28 measuring after my run so some time to cool down. I dropped another psi and it got worse for my last two runs (didn't have convenient air to add a psi back).

So yeah, based on today my stock 86 (plus brake pads, fluid, camber bolts to -1.1 degrees up front) on 215/45/18 Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec on oem wheels seemed to really like hovering around 27-28 psi coming off the autocross course. My new baseline is 25 psi cold in the morning and I'll keep progress logged in my little build thread as I tweak. As is well known having the rear 1-2 psi lower hooks it up and reduces some oversteer but I find that any oversteer incidents can be traced back to the driver if the suspension/sways are stock.

Sorry if I let any cats out of the bag for the uber competitive guys, or maybe I'm off base and y'all are runin' 'em up at 44 like some guys with heavier cars do in which case you're welcome.

Last edited by strat61caster; 06-29-2015 at 12:13 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-29-2015), travisb (06-30-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 09:05 PM   #2845
philooo

Drives: 13' Scion FRS Track car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
what the consensus on the best track only exhaust ?

no cat, full 3" pipe without resonator, all the way back with no muffler ?

or resonator and muffler are not damaging HP too much ?
Old 07-03-2015, 09:22 PM   #2846
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Are there any vids from professionals that show proper hand position and how they utilize the 9-3 o'clock hand position. Id like to see and observe how pros do it.Thanks!

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:39 PM   #2847
BBYZILA

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hi guys,

TLDR: Need more traction for the track, 17x8 RPF1 w/ 35mm offset and sticky 235 tires are enough for my NA (near stock, OFH+OFT) car? I see most people get 17x9 though, why?

I went to my first HPDE a couple of months ago sponsored by PCA, so there were a lot of high powered porsches there. Surprisingly enough, i still hung in there in our very tight, twisty road course.

My question is regarding wheel setup. I have stock everything except exhaust and tune, brake fluid and brake pads. I noticed my wheels (non Michelin stock all-seasons) were squealing basically all the time and I just cant get good grip around the corners. I want to upgrade to better tires/wheels. I want to get the RPF1s because I hear they are light, strong, and somewhat cheap. I want to get 17x8 RPF1 w/ 35mm offset and sticky 235 tires are enough for my NA (near stock, OFH+OFT) car? Will there be any issues with 35mm offset?

Thanks in advance guys!
BBYZILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #2848
JozhGoober

Drives: 2020 718 GT4, 2013 FR-S (Turbo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBYZILA View Post
Hi guys,

TLDR: Need more traction for the track, 17x8 RPF1 w/ 35mm offset and sticky 235 tires are enough for my NA (near stock, OFH+OFT) car? I see most people get 17x9 though, why?

I went to my first HPDE a couple of months ago sponsored by PCA, so there were a lot of high powered porsches there. Surprisingly enough, i still hung in there in our very tight, twisty road course.

My question is regarding wheel setup. I have stock everything except exhaust and tune, brake fluid and brake pads. I noticed my wheels (non Michelin stock all-seasons) were squealing basically all the time and I just cant get good grip around the corners. I want to upgrade to better tires/wheels. I want to get the RPF1s because I hear they are light, strong, and somewhat cheap. I want to get 17x8 RPF1 w/ 35mm offset and sticky 235 tires are enough for my NA (near stock, OFH+OFT) car? Will there be any issues with 35mm offset?

Thanks in advance guys!

I've got 245/40 RS3's on 17x9 and sometimes it feels like I've got more traction than I can use. I think looking back I would have preferred 17x8 with a 225 tire but I fell prey to aesthetics as the color I wanted was only in the 17x9 (TC-105N in gunmetal). Looks sweet though, and handling is still phenomenal. Might lose a little top end in the straights though.

RPF-1's are probably the best price/weight deal, 225 width tires are probably more than enough for an NA car. Any high end summer tire is going to do well on the track (especially compared to stock all-seasons), so pick which one suits you. Pretty sure a +35 offset is fine with a 17x8.
JozhGoober is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JozhGoober For This Useful Post:
BBYZILA (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 06:21 PM   #2849
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
what the consensus on the best track only exhaust ?

no cat, full 3" pipe without resonator, all the way back with no muffler ?

or resonator and muffler are not damaging HP too much ?
Track pipe for cheap weight reduction, Tomei for the most weight reduction.

These come at the cost of creating a little lift from the gap made.

There is no "best". It varies by every person and setup.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:22 PM   #2850
CSG Mike

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance guys!
Try just upgrading tires for now, before you commit to wheels. If you truly want fast, get higher offset. Tucked is faster.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
BBYZILA (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 06:43 PM   #2851
BBYZILA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Try just upgrading tires for now, before you commit to wheels. If you truly want fast, get higher offset. Tucked is faster.
would you recommend michelin pilot super sport for street/track use? or is there a better one for the $$.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #2852
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
PSSes are far more street oriented than track oriented. It depends where you draw the line. I.E. 90% street, 10% track might be a good fit for PSSes.
Of course, if you don't have much track experience under your belt, PSSes would do just fine.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:57 PM   #2853
CSG Mike

Quote:
would you recommend michelin pilot super sport for street/track use? or is there a better one for the $$.
For track only duty, look for something in the 180-200TW range. The PSS is more street than track, by a large margin.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #2854
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance guys!
A few followup questions before shooting out my opinion on this...

Do you Daily Drive the car? Is it a year round car? Is it your only car or primary car?

How many track days (now that you are hooked) do you plan to attend per season?

With those questions answered, I can give you a better answer in terms of bang for the buck on it.

-mike
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #2855
dp1
driving smoother faster

Drives: Sold
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
For track only duty, look for something in the 180-200TW range. The PSS is more street than track, by a large margin.

Agreed, also I found them to be very good for rainy track days (and summer street), if you can swing two sets of rims...I ended up with four...
dp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:07 AM   #2856
BBYZILA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post
A few followup questions before shooting out my opinion on this...

Do you Daily Drive the car? Is it a year round car? Is it your only car or primary car?

How many track days (now that you are hooked) do you plan to attend per season?

With those questions answered, I can give you a better answer in terms of bang for the buck on it.

-mike

Not my daily driver, i have a RAV4 in addition, but when there is no snow i tend to drive it almost everyday . I drive my RAV in the winter with appropriate winter wheels, FRS stays garaged.

I plan to attend 3-5 track days per season, its quite an expensive hobby..

I think after doing some thinking and researching, I've determined that my skills have not improved enough to a point where I need stickier tires or lighter wheels. BUT i would still appreciate your advice for when I do get to that point.

Thanks in advance!

ALSO: I cannot find a place that sells 17X9 RPF1 5x100 with a 35mm offset, they ONLY carry 45mm offsets. I read these rub, and i would have to purchase spacers.. so why not do them right and get the 35mm offsets to begin with?