follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-08-2015, 12:53 AM   #29
subiebui

Drives: 2017 STi WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaguphire View Post
reason for this rattle noise is because of that little circular thing that holds the rod to the baffle. I reached out to mishimoto for replacement parts and fixed my rattles. I suggest you reach out to them for the replacement parts.
thanks for the quick reply. what circular piece are you talking about? the clips/washer that kind of sandwich the baffle?
subiebui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:57 AM   #30
yaguphire

Drives: white-out FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by subiebui View Post
thanks for the quick reply. what circular piece are you talking about? the clips/washer that kind of sandwich the baffle?
the thing that clips the rod to the baffle that can spin/turn.
yaguphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:50 PM   #31
Mishimoto

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, I just got my mishi direct fit can for the brz, are the fittings supposed to be flush with the can when installed? I was turning them on and they were getting super tight so I left them a few threads off and I have a noise coming from the can. I didn't want to break the fittings buy cranking them further in. Should I just man up and turn them all the way in? Lol
Thanks for picking up our catch can setup! The fittings are actually an NPT thread and do not need to be turned completely into the can. Spin the fittings in until they are tight and it should provide a leak-free seal.

If you turn the fittings completely in, it should not cause any issues. That being said, you are unlikely to be able to re-install them and obtain an appropriate seal. If you need to remove the fittings in the future, let us know and we can set you up with replacement fittings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbrz View Post
Timely question, I am currently on attempt #2 to install Mishi catch can on Brz. My fittings are not flush and also did not want to over tighten either. Also the hoses I received are supposed to be custom to Brz/FRS; and inlet hose is to small to fit over catch can fitting. Should be fittings be the same size ?
Strange, the fittings for this kit should be the same size. Send us a PM if the fittings you received featured different barb diameters. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Quote:
I tightened the fittings all the way in, seems OK. The small end of the hose should be for the pcv valve and the bigger end goes onto the catch can fitting.

Also if anyone can answer, I still have a rattle type noise coming from the catch can area. I thought it was the baffle so I put some tape on it and the noise is still there. I noticed the bronze filter makes a rattle when I tap on it with my finger because its fairly loose inside it's fitting. Is this normal? Maybe this is the rattle/flutter noise I'm hearing?
Quote:
reason for this rattle noise is because of that little circular thing that holds the rod to the baffle. I reached out to mishimoto for replacement parts and fixed my rattles. I suggest you reach out to them for the replacement parts.
Quote:
Quote:
the thing that clips the rod to the baffle that can spin/turn.
A few folks have experienced the rattle noise and our team looked into it. It appears a small batch of our bronze filters were not correctly assembled, and the filter media can move slightly within the housing. This is likely the cause of noises from vibration. Just sent you a PM regarding this! Our team will have no issue sending out a replacement.

Thanks
-John
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mishimoto For This Useful Post:
Donbrz (12-17-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 05:35 PM   #32
JohnJuan

Drives: 2013 FR-S, Hot Lava; 2012 Z1000 CBO
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I think I have The rattle too. I'll send an email. I'm also short one worm gear clamp. Otherwise, this seems like a solid part.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #33
Mishimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJuan View Post
I think I have The rattle too. I'll send an email. I'm also short one worm gear clamp. Otherwise, this seems like a solid part.
Sorry for the inconvenience! Our team should have no issue sending out replacement components.

Thanks
-John
Old 12-26-2015, 10:28 PM   #34
Mundy

Drives: 93' Supra & 13' 86 GTS w/Aero
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hi, I have received one of these baffled catch can kits in Australia for Christmas and when I went to put it in the car I found the mounting bracket that came with it won't fit. I was wondering if there was meant to be a different bracket for the RHD cars as there are 3 hoses instead of one running along the top of the bay (see photos attached).
I'll be contacting the store when they return from the Christmas/New Year break but thought I might check here in the meantime.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Mundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #35
Mishimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundy View Post
Hi, I have received one of these baffled catch can kits in Australia for Christmas and when I went to put it in the car I found the mounting bracket that came with it won't fit. I was wondering if there was meant to be a different bracket for the RHD cars as there are 3 hoses instead of one running along the top of the bay (see photos attached).
I'll be contacting the store when they return from the Christmas/New Year break but thought I might check here in the meantime.

Thanks.
Thanks for picking up our catch can kit. Sorry to hear it looks like you ran into some fitment concerns during the install process. We did actually adjust this bracket design to accommodate the brake lines on RHD models. It is possible that our V1 bracket made its way into your kit, although it is tough to see in the images posted. Sending you a PM shortly to see if we can determine the cause for concern!

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Thanks
-John
Old 01-07-2016, 09:13 PM   #36
yaguphire

Drives: white-out FR-S
mishimoto fixed my rattle by sending me a replacement part I'd say a year ago. Thanks guys for being so quick on sending the replacement part!
yaguphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:09 PM   #37
Mishimoto

Quote:
mishimoto fixed my rattle by sending me a replacement part I'd say a year ago. Thanks guys for being so quick on sending the replacement part!
Great!

Thanks
-John
Old 01-13-2016, 10:57 AM   #38
ort895

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
does anybody know if this will work with an innovate supercharger?
Old 01-15-2016, 11:20 AM   #39
Mishimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ort895 View Post
does anybody know if this will work with an innovate supercharger?
Great question. Unfortunately we have not tested our catch can with this particular supercharger setup, so I cannot provide concrete confirmation. Looking at images of the placement, I do not believe our catch can system will fit with the piping coming from the rear of the supercharger.

-John
Old 02-10-2016, 05:06 PM   #40
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Don't mean to revive the thread from a month ago, but I do have a question for the mishimoto team...

I happened to have bought your universal 3 port catch can. I'm running the kraftwerks supercharger kit. Is there any different in the 3 port catch can? Also, because I purchased the universal one without knowing there was one made specifically for the car, is there any way I can order the mounting bracket separately?

For anybody else that would like to answer how do you have your 3 port catch cans set up with the hoses running where? Thank you!
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #41
Mishimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
Don't mean to revive the thread from a month ago, but I do have a question for the mishimoto team...

I happened to have bought your universal 3 port catch can. I'm running the kraftwerks supercharger kit. Is there any different in the 3 port catch can? Also, because I purchased the universal one without knowing there was one made specifically for the car, is there any way I can order the mounting bracket separately?

For anybody else that would like to answer how do you have your 3 port catch cans set up with the hoses running where? Thank you!
No worries on reviving the thread, I would be happy to assist.

I am not so sure the 3-port is the catch can you will want for this vehicle. We typically recommend the 3-port for vehicles with two breather lines, such as the EJ25 which has one coming from each valve cover. The FA20 only uses a single breather line and a single PCV line, both of which will need to be routed into a can of their own. For the FA, we found the PCV circuit to capture the most fluid out of the two. The breather line did not show any accumulation in our tests. This could change with the addition of forced induction.

My recommendation would be to stick with a single two-port for the PCV line and potentially an additional single two-port for the breather line. Our direct-fit setup can be used for the PCV line and will include everything necessary for installation. You have a few options here.

1. Install the 3-port and acquire brackets and hoses from our team. Plug additional inlet.

2. Return 3-port and purchase direct-fit kit.

3. Install 3-port and construct a bracket and hoses in DIY fashion. Plug additional inlet.

My recommendation would be option 2 as this will be the cleanest looking installation. You can then add on a breather catch can in the future if you feel it is necessary.

Sending this list to you via PM and we can work out a solution for you!

Thanks
-John
The Following User Says Thank You to Mishimoto For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (05-26-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 06:19 PM   #42
smotonaga

Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
I just ordered these this past weekend and attempted to install it today but ran into a small problem. The catch can does not fit with the STI Flexible Strut bar. The 2 fittings get in the way.
Attached Images

smotonaga is offline   Reply With Quote