follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2021, 04:58 PM   #589
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Did anyone calculate the amount of energy (KW) that the state uses in the form of gas and diesel that will have to come from the electric grid? We know that California has a great over abundance of electricity right know and an overbuilt distribution system that can handle several times the requirement of today.

Solar is great at night when charging is needed, winds usually drop at night. We charge during the day and drive at night. That will work.

I am waiting to see how this is sold.

I think they are planning to make electricity using mushrooms and distribute it with fairy dust. Because any plans to build the necessary generating plants and distribution systems needed to be started at least five years ago. We know how helpful the regulatory agencies are for permits to build projects of that magnitude.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (05-26-2021), WolfpackS2k (05-27-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 08:57 PM   #590
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
Did anyone calculate the amount of energy (KW) that the state uses in the form of gas and diesel that will have to come from the electric grid? We know that California has a great over abundance of electricity right know and an overbuilt distribution system that can handle several times the requirement of today.

Solar is great at night when charging is needed, winds usually drop at night. We charge during the day and drive at night. That will work.

I am waiting to see how this is sold.

I think they are planning to make electricity using mushrooms and distribute it with fairy dust. Because any plans to build the necessary generating plants and distribution systems needed to be started at least five years ago. We know how helpful the regulatory agencies are for permits to build projects of that magnitude.
Reposting:

Old 05-27-2021, 12:55 AM   #591
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Old 05-27-2021, 08:05 AM   #592
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
1000 miles in a day...
Good video, and good real world experience. His driving style on the road pretty much matches mine when solo. I only stop to fuel, which in the FRS is about half his frequency.

So, in the 86, in 1000 highway miles, assuming I start full, I'd have to refuel twice, for about 20 minutes. If you throw in a couple of quick rest stop breaks we would probably be up to an hour. Some "rest stop" breaks might be early fueling breaks so overall it probably works out to an hour either way.

So, in the end, it took him about 2 hours longer than it would have taken me (if you extend his trip to the full 1,000 miles). Not awful, but not insignificant either.

BTW, I realy enjoy his videos, but (and this applies to all similar videos) I don't get why this had to be filmed in a car. There was nothing the car added to the video and frankly I found it distracting.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 12:48 PM   #593
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Good video, and good real world experience. His driving style on the road pretty much matches mine when solo. I only stop to fuel, which in the FRS is about half his frequency.

So, in the 86, in 1000 highway miles, assuming I start full, I'd have to refuel twice, for about 20 minutes. If you throw in a couple of quick rest stop breaks we would probably be up to an hour. Some "rest stop" breaks might be early fueling breaks so overall it probably works out to an hour either way.

So, in the end, it took him about 2 hours longer than it would have taken me (if you extend his trip to the full 1,000 miles). Not awful, but not insignificant either.

BTW, I realy enjoy his videos, but (and this applies to all similar videos) I don't get why this had to be filmed in a car. There was nothing the car added to the video and frankly I found it distracting.
2 hours is gargantuan when added over time across multiple trips.

I prefer filming in the car, it adds entertainment and likely aids to the success of many of his videos. You can only stare at a white board with magic numbers for so long.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-27-2021), WolfpackS2k (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 01:21 PM   #594
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
2 hours is gargantuan when added over time across multiple trips.
Agreed, and it would likely be worse for shorter trips, at least mathematically. I can make a 300 mile without refueling easily in my FRS, and a 450 mile one in my Suburban. I've made both of those with maybe one or two 5 minute rest stops along the way. Both would require at least one, if not two recharging stops.

Quote:
I prefer filming in the car, it adds entertainment and likely aids to the success of many of his videos. You can only stare at a white board with magic numbers for so long.
True, but he could have shown video clips from the 1,000 mile trip the entire time to at least made it directly relevant rather than a random drive through the same backwoods at his home he uses in other videos.

Old 05-27-2021, 01:59 PM   #595
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Agreed, and it would likely be worse for shorter trips, at least mathematically. I can make a 300 mile without refueling easily in my FRS, and a 450 mile one in my Suburban. I've made both of those with maybe one or two 5 minute rest stops along the way. Both would require at least one, if not two recharging stops.

True, but he could have shown video clips from the 1,000 mile trip the entire time to at least made it directly relevant rather than a random drive through the same backwoods at his home he uses in other videos.
Long haul trips I do assume there to be no benefit to the consumer, only detriment so far. City driving and to work/grocery/etc, the benefits of EV in its current state is okay, and presumably this would be where it would make the largest impact anyway. No more idling ICEs, instead we now have idling EVs, yay city emissions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-27-2021), soundman98 (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 03:04 PM   #596
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Long haul trips I do assume there to be no benefit to the consumer, only detriment so far. City driving and to work/grocery/etc, the benefits of EV in its current state is okay, and presumably this would be where it would make the largest impact anyway. No more idling ICEs, instead we now have idling EVs, yay city emissions.
I agree, and that's where I've come to the conclusion it works for me. I basically own a separate DD and long-haul vehicle now. On occasion I'll take a 300 to 500 mile trip in the FRS but it is usually because it is a day or overnight trip. Anything longer than that I take our Suburban because I'm likely hauling more than will fit in the FRS.

So, an EV for daily use and an ICE for weekend/long haul trips works great for me now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (05-27-2021), soundman98 (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 03:24 PM   #597
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
I agree, and that's where I've come to the conclusion it works for me. I basically own a separate DD and long-haul vehicle now. On occasion I'll take a 300 to 500 mile trip in the FRS but it is usually because it is a day or overnight trip. Anything longer than that I take our Suburban because I'm likely hauling more than will fit in the FRS.

So, an EV for daily use and an ICE for weekend/long haul trips works great for me now.
I'm in the same place mentally, but not financially lol. If I could and had the need (currently don't), I would have an EV solely for driving to work and doing fairly minor city tasks. Anything for really driving, the ICE comes out.

I am in the motions of trying to get a beater second car. After losing my 86 in busy daily driving, I don't feel like taking that risk again. An EV would be a great DD beater, just need those prices to come on down.

Ideal future garage:

EV DD
ICE weekend/leisure
Mega beater winter salt eater, ICE or EV idc.
Old 05-27-2021, 03:45 PM   #598
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
I'm in the same place mentally, but not financially lol.
Not exactly beater territory, but with Chevy trying to dump the last of their 2021 Bolts, I've seen them in the low to mid 20's and as low as 16 or 17K used on Carvana.

Your future garage looks like it will match mine except we'll keep one additional car for MomHawk, and don't need the winter beater. So:

DD EV
ICE traveling car/truck
EV or ICE MomHawk car (she will only drive a "real" Mustang though so she may just keep her '05)

Old 05-27-2021, 04:09 PM   #599
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Not exactly beater territory, but with Chevy trying to dump the last of their 2021 Bolts, I've seen them in the low to mid 20's and as low as 16 or 17K used on Carvana.

Your future garage looks like it will match mine except we'll keep one additional car for MomHawk, and don't need the winter beater. So:

DD EV
ICE traveling car/truck
EV or ICE MomHawk car (she will only drive a "real" Mustang though so she may just keep her '05)
Yeah, a bit out of reach as a beater for now, but they'll get there one day. I'm looking at 3 cars best case scenario, present time line though is I get another ICE this year and save my CTR and self from heart ache. DD ICE to be replaced by EV at unforeseeable future, 3rd car up in the air, based on current offerings want either a twin or another CTR; would be EXTREMELY interested in an EV S20*0.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:44 PM   #600
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

If the new $12,500 EV Tax Credit gets passed, it will definitely increase my interest, as long as the OEMs don't increase their price to account for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 10:06 PM   #601
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm in the same place mentally, but not financially lol. If I could and had the need (currently don't), I would have an EV solely for driving to work and doing fairly minor city tasks. Anything for really driving, the ICE comes out.

I am in the motions of trying to get a beater second car. After losing my 86 in busy daily driving, I don't feel like taking that risk again. An EV would be a great DD beater, just need those prices to come on down.

Ideal future garage:

EV DD
ICE weekend/leisure
Mega beater winter salt eater, ICE or EV idc.
this is where i'm at. i routinely keep under 10 miles to/from work every day, so an ev would be perfect for my typical commuting.

but an ev isn't a truck. so then i end up keeping the truck around for scrap hauling, and projects. but then the ev, and the truck are boring, so the 86 needs to hang around to remind me that cars can be fun.

and then i come to the conclusion that i shouldn't have 3 cars for one person. there's absolutely no reason for that.

and so i end up sticking with what i have. a truck for the day-to-day and projects stuff, and the 86 for funzies.

btw, early nissan leaf's(leaves?) have dropped into the $5k range. i originally said when they got that low i'd get one, but after having an opportunity to drive one around at an auto auction for a day. just it'd be too much of a forced effort to drive something that i can find more things wrong than right with on a number of levels.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:01 PM   #602
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
this is where i'm at. i routinely keep under 10 miles to/from work every day, so an ev would be perfect for my typical commuting.

but an ev isn't a truck. so then i end up keeping the truck around for scrap hauling, and projects. but then the ev, and the truck are boring, so the 86 needs to hang around to remind me that cars can be fun.

and then i come to the conclusion that i shouldn't have 3 cars for one person. there's absolutely no reason for that.

and so i end up sticking with what i have. a truck for the day-to-day and projects stuff, and the 86 for funzies.

btw, early nissan leaf's(leaves?) have dropped into the $5k range. i originally said when they got that low i'd get one, but after having an opportunity to drive one around at an auto auction for a day. just it'd be too much of a forced effort to drive something that i can find more things wrong than right with on a number of levels.
That is quite cheap actually, but I am looking in canuk bucks.. and something around 5k CAD might be where I cap off at. I may have the opportunity for something through a family member for cheap, so that's my route at the moment, unless someone on here decides to sell a twin for 5k.