follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2022, 02:25 PM   #71
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Here's my take on that intake.

Gazoo Racing engineers have made & used it on their 86 and 86GRMN way before GruppeM or other DIYers.

With that said, they designed the front bumper area to get certain amount of air/force fed into that intake.

Just like other mods, is it worth the price? That's up to the buyer. It might be a bling factor, it might be power factor (even it only give 0.5% more whp). If the buyer thinks it's worth $1,600, sure go for it.

2 yen,
Yes, that's an actual GRMN 86 intake manifold. Yes, you could of bought it (there's part #). No, you can't buy it anymore (they discontinued).
That at least is almost a straight run unlike the Magic Mountain rollercoaster that started this thread.
Attached Images

DylanJZA (06-25-2022), ichitaka05 (06-23-2022), NoHaveMSG (06-23-2022), Pete (06-28-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 02:35 PM   #72
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,254 Times in 7,347 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
GruppeM Ram Air System Intake

My header would never clear that Gazoo intake.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:36 PM   #73
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Don't want to derail this thread... but I still don't get the obsession with OFT tune? ESPECIALLY when it comes to E85. Everyone that raves so much about it makes it sound like it's the absolute best bang for the buck. I just don't see how it comes even close. I mean how much does it really run for?? I got Ecutek with license and tune for about 750 after tax. I had the peace of mind of choosing ANY professional tuner out there that I preferred. I also have the peace of mind of fine tuning the car over and over again until I think it's perfect. I also get the benefit of the different maps and the extreme ease of switching between them. I also get the benefit of using flex fuel and never having to worry about how much of 93 or E85 I ever choose to fill.

For the what... few hundred bucks that I didn't get to save? Granted I went with a flex-fuel kit to add onto costs (about 500), but I didn't have to. It just seems like the far better bang for the buck to me. It also feels worlds safer to me knowing that I have one of the top tuners out there who will personally read my logs repeatedly and get my car to an optimal tune.

Then you tack on the Shiv disappearing problems and it pretty much seems like a no brainer to me on what the best bang for the buck is. Am I crazy or missing something here? Are OFT tunes that much cheaper?
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-24-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 04:21 PM   #74
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
Don't want to derail this thread... but I still don't get the obsession with OFT tune? ESPECIALLY when it comes to E85. Everyone that raves so much about it makes it sound like it's the absolute best bang for the buck. I just don't see how it comes even close. I mean how much does it really run for?? I got Ecutek with license and tune for about 750 after tax. I had the peace of mind of choosing ANY professional tuner out there that I preferred. I also have the peace of mind of fine tuning the car over and over again until I think it's perfect. I also get the benefit of the different maps and the extreme ease of switching between them. I also get the benefit of using flex fuel and never having to worry about how much of 93 or E85 I ever choose to fill.

For the what... few hundred bucks that I didn't get to save? Granted I went with a flex-fuel kit to add onto costs (about 500), but I didn't have to. It just seems like the far better bang for the buck to me. It also feels worlds safer to me knowing that I have one of the top tuners out there who will personally read my logs repeatedly and get my car to an optimal tune.

Then you tack on the Shiv disappearing problems and it pretty much seems like a no brainer to me on what the best bang for the buck is. Am I crazy or missing something here? Are OFT tunes that much cheaper?
I loved having OFT/e85 on my FRS and being able to log/monitor with my OFT mounted to my dash. I had alarms set for various parameters and could monitor real time fuel trims, knock, global timing advance, oil/coolant temps, etc.

I logged my canyon and track drives and could tweak and edit tunes easily on romraider to make as many adjustments as I wanted until I had each tune running exactly how I wanted. I created a tune for canyons at elevation. Had another more conservative tune for track days. Another for 91 and for 93. I could switch freely between tunes depending on what fuel I was using and where I planned to drive. I also could tell based on my logs the effect of each part I added (Mishimoto inlet tube, 2017 header, various catless and catted headers) and how my tune was compensating and adjusting to those parts.

Not really sure how this all compare with Ecutek but I think $450 (or w/e it is now) for OFT is a bargain for everything that you’re getting (ots e85/91/93 stage 1 and 2 tunes, plus all the other tunes and maps available open source) plus the loading and logging and real time monitoring functionality.

Probably the only downside was the customer service was very slow at OFT but you don’t really need them for much.

I actually wish OFT would hurry up and release a product for the 2nd gens. Seeing how cheap e85 is right now compared to 91 is killing me lol.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
CincyJohn (06-24-2022), Dzmitry (06-27-2022), Lantanafrs2 (06-23-2022), NoHaveMSG (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 04:54 PM   #75
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,228 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

There we go, at first you were trying to present it like you can run a Flex Fuel tune without the kit. Currently $600 + $750 for the license and such.

So are you REALLY trying to act like you don't understand why people would want to pick up a used OFT for $350 ($500 new) vs $1350 for an Ecutek tune and fuel kit?

I never had any issues with my BRZ running E85 on the OTS OFT tune. Watched the parameters and saw no need to datalog to try to get another 4-5 whp out of it. Started fine in the cold and pulled strong with no knock and good fuel trims.
Lantanafrs2 (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 05:35 PM   #76
mycrors7

Drives: zd8 brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecky_Flowers_ View Post
I think you can both have nice parts like this, and also take them to the track and use them. I don't know how this particular community is in that regard, but having an S2000 track car put together with really nice parts is not an especially uncommon thing. Some people have deeper pockets and like having nice stuff that is going to be worth decent money when they part the car out and move on to something else. This is no different to buying a set of Volks to use as track wheels when Konigs or Enkeis would have worked about as well. You could go even further and say this is more functional than the stick-on BS OEM STi "aero" that some people tack onto their cars - I don't hear anyone complaining about that.

As you are suggesting, the OEM intake in this car is very well designed. Subaru's engineers put a lot of thought into designing the intake so that it performed well at all RPMs and didn't cause a significant power restriction. Having said this, there are other factors at play - the intake is designed to make power, but ALSO to not make noise (bummer!), to mitigate the risk of water or foreign material intrusion into the engine as much as possible (so people can drive them through puddles and not pop their engines), reduce heat soak, comply with the emissions goals of the engine, etc. That means it is an inherently compromised design if your goal is to make as much power as possible, which was not Subaru's ultimate goal here. Again, the S2000 is subject to the same logic - well designed intake that works great, but you give up ultimate performance for something that is designed to work in every street car Honda sold, in all situations. A properly-designed aftermarket intake (those cars are very picky in this regard) would yield power gains, but at the expense of the other factors the OEM was working with (noise/emissions/reliability/etc). Another thing to consider is that the OEM intakes on both cars are designed and mass-manufactured to a cost and to be easily serviceable, as opposed to some aftermarket intakes that take up every little bit of room available in the name of performance while making it more of a pain to install and service (replace filters, clean, etc).

The Golf (and any turbocharged performance car in general) is not an apples to apples comparison here because it is totally different in terms of design, and was engineered to work and perform totally differently than the motor in this car. That motor was designed with turbocharging in mind, and thus doesn't benefit very much from an intake (unless you're tuned and seeking to squeeze out maximum performance and response from the motor and turbo). Intakes on those cars largely help with response and add some noise, but are not where you go if you're trying to make power. As the owner of a Mk7, I am speaking purely from experience here, not what I've read on the internet.

Guys, my goal here isn't to convince you all that spending two racks on an intake is a good idea. I am simply trying to have a discussion about the potential of this intake to make power under the appropriate circumstances. No intake for any 4 cylinder N/A car is going to make a noticeable amount of horsepower without a tune, however on the last car and other similar cars they usually pick up power when tuned compared to the OEM intake also with a tune. In the real world, I don't think there are any intakes that would yield a very noticeable improvement in power over stock without a tune, but if you're tuned and switching to a good aftermarket intake you're going to notice the extra WHP and torque. Saying something is useless or worthless with no evidence to support your claim other than purely anecdotal evidence is kind of silly in my opinion. At present, there is no data on the FA24 that shows how well it responds to a properly-designed aftermarket intake as there is still no tuning solution. I am positive that we will start to see some pretty encouraging results from these motors with bolt-ons added to the mix once there is a way to tune them.
Pretty parts can be used on track... but there's a good chance they wont. Track guys would rather dump $1k+ on tires and pads to continue tracking, than to dump it on an intake that in the most perfect world will give a 2-3whp bump in power. This has been common knowledge for 99% of NA motors on the market and i highly doubt the fa24 will be an exception to that.

If youre dumping $1k+ on an intake for a track car brz/86, you better be damn on the limit of the platform and be ready to jump ship into a something better or go FI with the brz/86.

I grew up with vw's but am an advocate for NA motors having owned stuff like s2000s, ae86's, e36's, ITR's etc. Induction noise is very addictive.

In fact ive only owned one turbo charged vehicle in my entire life and that was an STI.

Out of every damn NA vehicle ive owned or worked on in the last decade, my mk6 golf was the ONLY car where an aftermarket intake made sense from a performance aspect. The OEM intake is routed right over the exhaust manifold and is notorious for having heat soaking issues.

The cost of this GruppeM intake is a few hundred $$ cheaper than the Greddy ITB kit for the previous gen(not including install or tuning ofc)

If you really care for induction noise, bling, and want to dump money into minimal gains, that ITB kit is perfect. Youll get more induction noise than youll ever want, youll be taking home awards at shows and if properly tuned, you might gain a tiny bit of power.

in conclusion before i go too far off topic, i think the biggest issue with this GruppeM intake is that it doesnt make sense in any regard. It's $1600 for an intake on an NA vehicle where tuning isnt even unlocked yet. Intakes never show any reliable gains without tuning. Even if GruppeM wanted to show gains, they cant unless they somehow have unlocked the factory ECU and tuned the car with the intake. It's not that they didnt provide anything to back their product... its the fact that they cant because it literally isnt possible yet
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:20 PM   #77
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
My experience is that any swirl created before the throttle plate is gimmicky and will only confuse the maf anyway
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-24-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 06:24 PM   #78
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

I paid 400 brand new for my oft in 2014 and have used 3 different tunes. The tunes were free. No knocking or other issues except for one tune being on the rich side.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:29 AM   #79
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,455 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecky_Flowers_ View Post
The S2000 had a similarly-optimized intake from the factory, however there is always room for improvement. The intakes on these cars are no different. Claiming that intakes don't make power on these cars is a bit disingenuous, especially when there is clear evidence that they do. D-Sport also did a comparison of a ton of available intakes for the FR-S and found that most, if not all of them, made considerable power with a tune. Link here: https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/scion...ting-ecutek/9/

Didn't the revolution intake (gruppe m collaboration) make power on the FA20? This seems like an improved version of that design, so deductive reasoning would suggest that it could make power here as well.
According to this thread, it made quite a bit.... https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94390

Again, this intake seems like it would work just as well as any other intake, perhaps slightly better due to the chamber design and the twin air scoops. Once these cars have a tuning solution available for them I am reasonably sure that intakes like these and others will yield healthy gains all over the power band, including in the torque dip. Even without a tune, I am sure modest gains would be realized, but caring about how much power an intake makes without a tune, especially on any car with an engine this size, seems silly to me.

The D-Sport test was done vs the 2013 OEM intake. The 2017+ intake is better and so far I've seen *maybe* one intake outperform it by any statistically meaningful margin.

A drop-in filter alone made 5-ish hp on an early intake. On a 2nd gen it makes like... 2 hp. Which is a MUCH smaller percentage gain when comparing 215whp to 165whp.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (06-24-2022), Tcoat (06-24-2022), Ultramaroon (06-24-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 02:15 PM   #80
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,114 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Big plus for OFT is resale value. I paid $630 CAD for my V2 brand new and can unload it for $550 pretty easily.

Had custom tunes done via forum members for less than $100. Ecutek is the superior tuning platform but for most NA stuff OFT is pretty decent.

In retrospect I may have gone ecutek day 1 since @tomm.brz also does ecutek tunes and would have probably cost me same or less overall.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (06-27-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 03:05 PM   #81
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,254 Times in 7,347 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Thread is pretty well derailed already

The cool thing about OFT is it is great and simple way to get an improved tune. For DIY'ers it's also a lot of fun to play with. I spent a lot of time playing with the OTS tune and making changes to get my car running and make changes to it as I go. When I went flex fuel I had steve99 do a tune for my car buy I enjoyed playing around with it up until that point. It's not perfect but it does work pretty well.
OkieSnuffBox (06-24-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 08:25 AM   #82
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Thread is pretty well derailed already

The cool thing about OFT is it is great and simple way to get an improved tune. For DIY'ers it's also a lot of fun to play with. I spent a lot of time playing with the OTS tune and making changes to get my car running and make changes to it as I go. When I went flex fuel I had steve99 do a tune for my car buy I enjoyed playing around with it up until that point. It's not perfect but it does work pretty well.
Not derailed at all since the one single thing everybody agrees on is that a tune is needed to get anything at all out of an aftermarket CAI. A discussion on what tune is better or any known issues is right on topic really.
What I haven’t seen, or missed if here, is that there are probably just as good gains to be had by tuning a completely stock engine as one with a gimmicky CAI. The stock tune is a compromise between power, mileage and emissions so room to improve any one of those at the expense of the others is there.
The big difference between the gains to be had on the 86 and many of the older cars is that it already has a good CAI and header not an old school under hood intake and straight cast iron exhaust manifold.
OkieSnuffBox (06-25-2022), Ultramaroon (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 12:32 PM   #83
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wow I can't believe this got to 6 pages.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:33 PM   #84
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
Wow I can't believe this got to 6 pages.
Oh I doubt it is done yet.
Everything still needs to be repeated at least 6 more times to meet forum standards.
Dzmitry (06-27-2022), Jdmjunkie (06-25-2022), mycrors7 (06-25-2022), OkieSnuffBox (06-26-2022), PulsarBeeerz (06-25-2022)