follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2022, 08:06 AM   #1
Nickel
Nick

Drives: 2013 10 Series GT86 #182 of 2500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sparco Sprint in a 10 Series

Last night, my friend and I swapped my new Sparco Sprint into my 10 Series. I used the Buddy Club adjustable rail and as others have posted on this forum, I used the 1w 3.3 ohm resistors that you can get from Amazon. Everything worked out good. The brackets are maxed out but I wish I could get the seat to move a mm or so to the right, but it's nothing I can't get used to. Anyway, here's some pics.
Attached Images

2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series MT #182 of 2500/1993 Mazda Miata/1994 Suzuki Cappuccino/2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Package/2016 Yamaha FZ-09/2023 Toyota Camry XSE

Instagram: @nickel_reed
Nickel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 08:21 AM   #2
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,141 Times in 1,986 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel View Post
Last night, my friend and I swapped my new Sparco Sprint into my 10 Series. I used the Buddy Club adjustable rail and as others have posted on this forum, I used the 1w 3.3 ohm resistors that you can get from Amazon. Everything worked out good. The brackets are maxed out but I wish I could get the seat to move a mm or so to the right, but it's nothing I can't get used to. Anyway, here's some pics.

Looks good, would you be able to point me into the specific rails/supporting equipment you got. How's the feel? Do you sit lower?
Old 05-13-2022, 09:04 AM   #3
Nickel
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Looks good, would you be able to point me into the specific rails/supporting equipment you got. How's the feel? Do you sit lower?
Sure. So the rail is a Buddy Club super low BC08-RSBSRZN6-L. L is for left so if you want both, you'd have to get different rails. I got mine from eBay because that's where it was in stock. The rail will work with most any seat, but the buddy rail has tons of adjustability so you can sit lower or higher than stock. I've got it on basically the lowest sitting with one up in the front so I have a bit of a rearward rake. I'm 5'10" 140 lbs and wear a 30W32L. This seat is the standard size and fits me well and I'm definitely sitting lower than stock but not by a whole lot.

My rail didn't come with any screws for the side seat mounts but that screw size is an M8-1.25x30 Socket cap Allen and I used M8 washers with them.

As far as feel. Obviously, you don't have to fight being upright so you can feel a lot more of what the car is doing. I'd say spray the rail with WD40 because the grease that's on it isn't enough, the rail is still tight. My only real complaint but this is with every racing seat I've had is that I wish I could sit maybe a mm or 2 more to the right but the brackets are maxed out. It's not a performance issue, just a mental thing.
2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series MT #182 of 2500/1993 Mazda Miata/1994 Suzuki Cappuccino/2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Package/2016 Yamaha FZ-09/2023 Toyota Camry XSE

spcmafia (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 09:45 AM   #4
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,141 Times in 1,986 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Sure. So the rail is a Buddy Club super low BC08-RSBSRZN6-L. L is for left so if you want both, you'd have to get different rails. I got mine from eBay because that's where it was in stock. The rail will work with most any seat, but the buddy rail has tons of adjustability so you can sit lower or higher than stock. I've got it on basically the lowest sitting with one up in the front so I have a bit of a rearward rake. I'm 5'10" 140 lbs and wear a 30W32L. This seat is the standard size and fits me well and I'm definitely sitting lower than stock but not by a whole lot.

My rail didn't come with any screws for the side seat mounts but that screw size is an M8-1.25x30 Socket cap Allen and I used M8 washers with them.

As far as feel. Obviously, you don't have to fight being upright so you can feel a lot more of what the car is doing. I'd say spray the rail with WD40 because the grease that's on it isn't enough, the rail is still tight. My only real complaint but this is with every racing seat I've had is that I wish I could sit maybe a mm or 2 more to the right but the brackets are maxed out. It's not a performance issue, just a mental thing.

Interesting, thanks for the info! Definitely something to look into if I ever decide to switch the seats. Are you keeping the stock seatbelt or looking to upgrade to a harness, if so, which combo are you looking at.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:53 AM   #5
Nickel
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Interesting, thanks for the info! Definitely something to look into if I ever decide to switch the seats. Are you keeping the stock seatbelt or looking to upgrade to a harness, if so, which combo are you looking at.
Well, a harness without a HANS device would be dangerous on the street. I haven't ever used one of those ASM harnesses but if they work the way a stock seat belt does where it gives during a crash then that may be worth looking into but I'm going to use the stock belt for now. I don't really want to add a harness bar as this is still one of my daily drivers but we'll see. It depends on what's needed when I sign up my next track day.

Old 05-14-2022, 10:50 AM   #6
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Bucket seat without rollcage - dangerous.
Driving without helmet on car with rollcage - dangerous.
Driving with helmet on street due reduced visibility - dangerous.
Multipoint harness without hans - dangerous.
And little sense of stock airbags in car with multipoint harness, due different deployment distances.

There is reason why many say it's bad/wrong to mix & match stock & sport safety systems instead of going all-out stock or all-out sport safety systems, why in some events tech inspection won't approve car with such mix to participate, or why in some countries such mixes are making car non street-legal.

I'd suggest at most going for reclaimable back recaro seats (though they also slightly compromise eg. working of side airbags), dropping rest. Or make car track-only, transportable to track on trailer, with all the stuff, bucket seat, multipoint harness, rollcage (and obviously helmet & hans device for yourself).
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (06-06-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 11:31 AM   #7
Nickel
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Bucket seat without rollcage - dangerous.
Driving without helmet on car with rollcage - dangerous.
Driving with helmet on street due reduced visibility - dangerous.
Multipoint harness without hans - dangerous.
And little sense of stock airbags in car with multipoint harness, due different deployment distances.

There is reason why many say it's bad/wrong to mix & match stock & sport safety systems instead of going all-out stock or all-out sport safety systems, why in some events tech inspection won't approve car with such mix to participate, or why in some countries such mixes are making car non street-legal.

I'd suggest at most going for reclaimable back recaro seats (though they also slightly compromise eg. working of side airbags), dropping rest. Or make car track-only, transportable to track on trailer, with all the stuff, bucket seat, multipoint harness, rollcage (and obviously helmet & hans device for yourself).
A fixed bucket seat with the proper safety ratings alone and the 3 point belt working as it should is as safe as the stock seat. Sure you don't get the side air bags but you're in an FIA SFI seat.

Porsche uses fixed bucket seats, a half cage, and the 3 point belt in their road cars in some cases and those cars are very safe.

Jdmjunkie (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 12:40 PM   #8
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
A fixed bucket seat with the proper safety ratings alone and the 3 point belt working as it should is as safe as the stock seat. Sure you don't get the side air bags but you're in an FIA SFI seat.

Porsche uses fixed bucket seats, a half cage, and the 3 point belt in their road cars in some cases and those cars are very safe.
Porsche .. probably in properly designed/engineered way, with various safety systems designed/configured to work properly together. Not just some mashup from random aftermarket parts from various shops, often selected more by looks and price.
Proper bucket seat is very strong/rigid. And if you are fixed in it in car without rollcage, in case on roll over it won't fold unlike stock adjustable seats. And with multipoint harness one wouldn't be able to submarine below (and also one risks breaking neck due being in such seat and with such harness w/o hans device in frontal crash if there are no properly deploying airbags to help .. which are there in mentioned porsche, yet are not in twins, rather deploying with wrong timing/distance if keeping stock airbags, or no airbags if also steering wheel replaced with some aftermarket with quick release hub. So in this case .. brought up example of porsche imho will serve in bad way, as twins owners here might think due it that it's safe to mix & match safety systems even if they randomly buy them and install/use without properly thinking out that thoroughly.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 09:40 PM   #9
toyota_86

Drives: Toyota 86 (old) / GR86 - (current)
Quote:
Are the seats comfortable? Thinking not getting one myself as I'm too old to be straining at events.
toyota_86 is offline   Reply With Quote