follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #239
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Tony View Post
are you running oem injectors as of now? and do you think i need to upgrade from stock injectors? im only lookin to make 280whp give or take as of this season. also are you on stock clutch if so hownis it holding up as my car will be seeing lot of track time. so trying to see if i should upgrade all at once before installing the kit and getting it tuned
Use your own discretion, of course but...

I have a much bigger intercooler than HKS supplies, and have deleted the intake restrictor. On stock injectors and pulley I have peak 275 WHP @ 7000 RPM using 94 octane. My tuner is pretty much the most respected one around here (Onpoint) and I am sure he has me absolutely maxed out while staying safe from detonation.

Keep in mind I also have an EL header without cat, an aftermarket over pipe and an aftermarket cat back. The only stock part of my exhaust is the front pipe which I have retained since it has a cat and a resonator and I am at my loudness limit presently.

280 WHP indicates just beyond I have with my setup. I am doubtful an aftermarket front pipe will get you another 5 HP. You can use that as a reference point but also keep in mind different dynos read differently despite SAE correction. I have read conflicting opinions but it is possible Onpoint's dyno reads up to 10% higher than some other systems. So I could possibly be somewhere between 250-275 WHP depending on which dyno system. Sasha, the tuner, indicated that he typically sees around 50 HP power train loss on these cars so my BHP might be anywhere from say 295 to 325.

No clutch issues at all and don't expect to have any. Firstly, the power comes on higher in the revs (think S2000), and I am pretty smooth in clutch takeup and never dump the clutch at high RPMs. The power for me isn't really for drag racing, but more for passing power. I think a positive displacement supercharger is more likely to burn a clutch.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
CxG (03-02-2016), Metabrz (03-05-2016), Yobiwan (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #240
86Tony

Drives: 2015 AOZORA EDITION
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Use your own discretion, of course but...

I have a much bigger intercooler than HKS supplies, and have deleted the intake restrictor. On stock injectors and pulley I have peak 275 WHP @ 7000 RPM using 94 octane. My tuner is pretty much the most respected one around here (Onpoint) and I am sure he has me absolutely maxed out while staying safe from detonation.

Keep in mind I also have an EL header without cat, an aftermarket over pipe and an aftermarket cat back. The only stock part of my exhaust is the front pipe which I have retained since it has a cat and a resonator and I am at my loudness limit presently.

280 WHP indicates just beyond I have with my setup. I am doubtful an aftermarket front pipe will get you another 5 HP. You can use that as a reference point but also keep in mind different dynos read differently despite SAE correction. I have read conflicting opinions but it is possible Onpoint's dyno reads up to 10% higher than some other systems. So I could possibly be somewhere between 250-275 WHP depending on which dyno system. Sasha, the tuner, indicated that he typically sees around 50 HP power train loss on these cars so my BHP might be anywhere from say 295 to 325.

No clutch issues at all and don't expect to have any. Firstly, the power comes on higher in the revs (think S2000), and I am pretty smooth in clutch takeup and never dump the clutch at high RPMs. The power for me isn't really for drag racing, but more for passing power. I think a positive displacement supercharger is more likely to burn a clutch.
thanks for the informative post, im getting my car tuned at on point by sasha aswell. im also running the same setup as you full exhaust with oem front pipe. without restrictor so ill be pretty happy with your numbers. i will keep in touch if i got anymore question since you are local and have the same setup.
86Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #241
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Tony View Post
thanks for the informative post, im getting my car tuned at on point by sasha aswell. im also running the same setup as you full exhaust with oem front pipe. without restrictor so ill be pretty happy with your numbers. i will keep in touch if i got anymore question since you are local and have the same setup.
Good luck. If you eventually want a smaller pulley I have one. Also have 700C injectors but it looks like a few of the small rubber seal rings are missing so I need to source those.

Also, if you don't have a way to drive the car to the tuner after install I have an HKS FCON iS that I would lend for a security deposit. I used it fora few weeks until Sasha was available.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92116
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #242
86Tony

Drives: 2015 AOZORA EDITION
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Good luck. If you eventually want a smaller pulley I have one. Also have 700C injectors but it looks like a few of the small rubber seal rings are missing so I need to source those.

Also, if you don't have a way to drive the car to the tuner after install I have an HKS FCON iS that I would lend for a security deposit. I used it fora few weeks until Sasha was available.
thats perfect i will get in touch with you when i get my kit installed.
86Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:05 AM   #243
PureShield

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torry@HKSUSA View Post
I think wbradley gave you a good answer on this. 350 whp would be about the maximum power you could do, and that would take some modifications (like a smaller pulley). However, that would be pushing the supercharger to its limits and it is possible you could wear it out quicker.
How come the HKS supercharger V1 got discontinued?
PureShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:13 AM   #244
Torry@HKSUSA

Drives: HKS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureShield View Post
How come the HKS supercharger V1 got discontinued?
The V2 replaced it, and now the V3 has replaced the V2. Just overall an improved design.
Torry@HKSUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Torry@HKSUSA For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (03-03-2016), CxG (03-03-2016), PureShield (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #245
CxG

Drives: Pearl White '13 ZN6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I think wbradley gave you a good answer on this. 350 whp would be about the maximum power you could do, and that would take some modifications (like a smaller pulley). However, that would be pushing the supercharger to its limits and it is possible you could wear it out quicker.
Is this on 93 or E85?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
CxG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #246
Torry@HKSUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CxG View Post
Is this on 93 or E85?

E85. 93 octane is going to be even harder to push that much power reliably.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #247
CxG

Quote:
E85. 93 octane is going to be even harder to push that much power reliably.
So this means that the blower comes essentially maxed out from factory? After all the claim is 319 whp on E85 with your header back exhaust and tune.

Do you guys sell different blowers? I know you don't have blower upgrade or upgrade kit in the works for this car, but if someone wanted more power could they maybe grab the one you guys have for the 2GR engine and then make their own brackets and adapt it to fit the piping?

I love the design of this kit, how it sits in the engine bay, the minimal cutting and trimming, the way it leaves room for a strut bar, abd that price point is sooo good which is why I'm asking It just seems a bit disappointing that the hp cap is so low leaving you with such little room to grow.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:29 PM   #248
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
So this means that the blower comes essentially maxed out from factory? After all the claim is 319 whp on E85 with your header back exhaust and tune.

Do you guys sell different blowers? I know you don't have blower upgrade or upgrade kit in the works for this car, but if someone wanted more power could they maybe grab the one you guys have for the 2GR engine and then make their own brackets and adapt it to fit the piping?

I love the design of this kit, how it sits in the engine bay, the minimal cutting and trimming, the way it leaves room for a strut bar, abd that price point is sooo good which is why I'm asking It just seems a bit disappointing that the hp cap is so low leaving you with such little room to grow.

The factory kit is not maxed out. They sell smaller pulleys, but you will need upgraded fueling and a bigger intercooler too.

I think they also sell non vehicle specific supercharger tuner packages but they will be more work to supply. It's on the HKS int'l website.
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
CxG (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #249
CxG

Quote:
The factory kit is not maxed out. They sell smaller pulleys, but you will need upgraded fueling and a bigger intercooler too.

I think they also sell non vehicle specific supercharger tuner packages but they will be more work to supply. It's on the HKS int'l website.
Good to know, thanks for the info

Old 03-03-2016, 06:47 PM   #250
Torry@HKSUSA

Quote:

It's not really "maxed out." There is a reliability margin in there because HKS prides itself on the quality and reliability of it rather than the power output. I just don't want to tell you it can handle 350+ hp just fine because I don't know what the max it can handle is. I'm just figuring what it was designed for + a decent margin for reliability. You may very well be able to push 400 and have it work fine, but I can't promise you of that.

There is an optional pulley upgrade kit ($360), which ours has on it.

As for upgraded superchargers, HKS does make other superchargers but the 7040L that is included in this kit is the only designed for this kit. Ultimately, this kit is designed for easy and affordable reliable power in the 300HP range. If you're looking for big power, it probably isn't the best solution for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Torry@HKSUSA For This Useful Post:
CxG (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 03:19 PM   #251
Andew727

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92116
what size pulley? im interested if its the smallest one out there. right now i have a 95mm pulley but i want the 90mm.

current mods:

HKS GT SC (no restrictor) V1
HKS S type oil cooler
HKS 95mm pulley
custom BOV
TRD baffled catch can
larger vertical intercooler
BC I beam connecting rods
ARP extreme hardware
ARP head studs
12.5:1 CR pistons
TI vavle springs and retainers
cosworth head gaskets
ft86 speedfactory uel headers
FIC injectors
DW fuel pump
moto-east flex fuel
act 6 puck
act LW flywheel
perrin LW crank
perrin rear shift bushing
perrin tranny support
mtech shift springs

i think thats everything haha... i cant wait to see the numbers.

Last edited by Andew727; 03-04-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Andew727 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andew727 For This Useful Post:
CxG (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 03:42 PM   #252
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andew727 View Post
what size pulley? im interested if its the smallest one out there. right now i have a 95mm pulley but i want the 90mm.

current mods:

HKS GT SC (no restrictor) V1
HKS S type oil cooler
HKS 95mm pulley
custom BOV
TRD baffled catch can
larger vertical intercooler
BC I beam connecting rods
ARP extreme hardware
ARP head studs
12.5:1 CR pistons
TI vavle springs and retainers
cosworth head gaskets
ft86 speedfactory uel headers
FIC injectors
DW fuel pump
moto-east flex fuel
act 6 puck
act LW flywheel
rear shift bushing
mtech shift springs
perrin tranny support

i think that's everything haha...
Just measured and it is the 90mm pulley. I will PM you.

Last edited by wbradley; 03-04-2016 at 08:38 PM.