follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-26-2013, 01:23 AM   #15
MANDALAY
Banned

Drives: MR2
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-tan View Post
I don't really know if actually understand the way it works. It reaches maxium boost for the pulley size. Smaller pulley = more boost, if you over spin the SC it will overspin the unit. If you want higher boost than this unit you'll have to wait till vortech make a bigger unit.

No as stated the pulley supplied causes the SC not to reach 100% at 7,400 rpm . To do that the SC pulley needs to be smaller which at a guess the SC would most likely reach at least 10 - 12 psi.

Having said that the engine might not handle it or there may be MANY claims of blown up engines.

Its being super safe as pointed out most of the time it will be around 3 - 4 psi only.

If thats enough and YOU are happy well let it be so but the information has to be explained to those who dont know.

Imagine the SHOCK when put on a dyno and all it shows 5 psi because of timing beling pulled because the IAT's are high and all you get it 200 rwhp
MANDALAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #16
MANDALAY
Banned

What i like about the 86 is thats its open to a whole new audiance of members.
The engine is N/A so there is no bias about members flogging you if you take the SC route as there is with cars that are available in Turbo format from factory like the SW20 MR2.
So there is an open mind. But the correct info needs to be explained because ill tell you that if a turbo is doing 7 psi it will run circles over the SC.
THERE IS SO MUCH IMPATIENCE. Why is everyone in such a hurry ? To be first ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MANDALAY For This Useful Post:
canu_50 (12-12-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 01:54 AM   #17
The Slow One
Track Junkie

Drives: Argento Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Is it possible to change out the unit into a bigger unit? I know it was common practice in the s2k scene. I'm just interested in a larger unit for the future.
The Slow One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:38 AM   #18
j-tan

Drives: 13 FR-S, 03 COBRA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Would it be possible to install a waste gate on the intake side instead of a bypass to regulate the top end psi? From what I remember bypass is either open or close, but I could be wrong.
For example 1 Pulley setup for 7 psi at 7400 rpm and makes 4-5 psi at 4000-5000 rpm
example 2 with waste gate: pulley for 12 psi at 7400 rpm and makes 6-7 psi at 4000-5000 rpm, but have the waste gate regulate it at 8psi like a turbo setup.
Is this even possible? Sorry If I don't make any sense.
j-tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 AM   #19
ZC6BRZ
Wannabe JDM Type S

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
When will CARB E.O. be granted?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:11 AM   #20
Tradewind

Drives: 2006 Subaru Liberty EZ30 S/charged
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Imagine the SHOCK when put on a dyno and all it shows 5 psi because of timing beling pulled because the IAT's are high and all you get it 200 rwhp
Should'nt be high at all if there is an intercooler in the system - which there is. Timing values are likely to be quite close to stock if the IAT are under control from the intercooler - which would be a piece of cake to do at 5psi
Old 01-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #21
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANDALAY View Post
Im relaxed buddy. Its just as soon as someone questions something many turn on you , what for ?

Im not trying to discourage Vortech but rather the information be given. They do know the answers i seek just crazy that noone has asked.

I would like to know is the SC being limited to 7 psi because thats what they believe the max for the engine Stock ?

You have to be aware the way the SC belt driven works that its geared to maximum psi at red line. This belieng under geared the system will be running mostly only 3-4 psi, unless you red line every gear.
This is not how we drive on the street.

I for one do love the reponse of a belt driven SC but being this low its a waste since you will have 7 psi at 7,400.
Then there are other calculations like the drain of the SC on the engine and the psi lost in the IC.
No you're not relaxed. Your posts portray a lot aggression towards Vortech. I'm not sure why because he's answering all your questions.

You do pose a good question about the 7 psi. Was that an original psi goal? If so, why?

"This belieng under geared the system will be running mostly only 3-4 psi, unless you red line every gear." Now my understanding of this type of supercharger is it has a linear boost curve. Which means that max boost is at redline. So yeah under normal driving conditions that's how it's gonna work.

From what I've gathered from your interrogation of Vortech is that this isn't a system for you. You'd like something with instant max boost and that works at the bleeding edge of performance.

Either way I'm bouncing around between this kit or the Full Blown turbo kit. And I'd like to thank Vortech for being on these forums and answering all our questions. Customer service is just as important to me as the performance of a product. Thank you.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeman For This Useful Post:
BRZPDX (03-18-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #22
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
No you're not relaxed. Your posts portray a lot aggression towards Vortech. I'm not sure why because he's answering all your questions.

You do pose a good question about the 7 psi. Was that an original psi goal? If so, why?

"This belieng under geared the system will be running mostly only 3-4 psi, unless you red line every gear." Now my understanding of this type of supercharger is it has a linear boost curve. Which means that max boost is at redline. So yeah under normal driving conditions that's how it's gonna work.

From what I've gathered from your interrogation of Vortech is that this isn't a system for you. You'd like something with instant max boost and that works at the bleeding edge of performance.

Either way I'm bouncing around between this kit or the Full Blown turbo kit. And I'd like to thank Vortech for being on these forums and answering all our questions. Customer service is just as important to me as the performance of a product. Thank you.
I've read through some of his other thread posts and came to a couple conclusions. First is that what you interpret as interrogation is just his posting/writing style. Second is that he has centri sc experience. Not just kit install, but sizing, speed selection, cooler selection and what not.

Everyone else just hears Vortech's PR monkey tell us it's going to awesome and goes 'OK!' If you have a better understanding, but no specs, everything is suspect. Especially when the PR monkey comes off as condescending regarding technical questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@Vortech View Post
An Engineer? If I were an Engineer, you guys would need a "Engineer-speak" to English translator to decipher all of my posts!
Not all of us, bro. Keep in mind this is before any specs were revealed.

Then this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@Vortech View Post
OMG guy, really? I just gave you the formula, and you chose to not use it, and then put up some random, completely incorrect numbers as a result.

Using the CORRECT formula, the impeller speed is 41,588.
As was pointed out Mandalay was NOT incorrect, he was referring to shaft speed, not impeller. If PR monkey cannot recognize that, and instantly comes up with a condescending attack, what does that say of the professionalism of this company?

And we still don't have a compressor map.

People need to get over the 'they are doing sooo much for the community, that we should thankful and reverential' attitude. They are here to make money.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
DAN_BRZ (05-22-2013), frs23 (01-31-2013), Jon H (01-31-2013), MANDALAY (01-26-2013), SanDiegoFRS (01-26-2013), toast (05-06-2015)
Old 01-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #23
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Drives: Perrin/VORTECH Supercharger TestBRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
posts 13,14,15 & 16 suggest your are not relaxed enough, or is that just normal for you?

at some point, if its not for you, its just trolling, unless youre out on every vendors thread acting this way, which isnt the case. thank you.
Huehuecoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #24
drifter

Drives: truck and old car
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OjiGeorge View Post
Dude, you need to chill out. Vortech is doing the community a huge solid by being active on the boards. This kind of behavior discourages other vendors from becoming actively involved in the community and hurts everyone.
As far as I"m concerned, Mandalay is doing the community a huge solid by explaining provided info and asking questions that you and others have not.

Further, I believe the title of this thread is "questions and discussion".
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drifter For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (01-26-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #25
MANDALAY
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
posts 13,14,15 & 16 suggest your are not relaxed enough, or is that just normal for you?

at some point, if its not for you, its just trolling, unless youre out on every vendors thread acting this way, which isnt the case. thank you.

See im not one of those guys that holds everything to himself . I not only share my very good experiences but also my fails.

This really doesnt have anything to do with Vortech persay its more to understand the principles of a belt driven SC.

Think of it this way 2+2 = 4 but also 1+3 =4

I have talked to some of the best all around the world and i mean talk not internet.

If my preference is for the Rotrex and not the Vortech thats my decision and one that another thread could be started. If i posted that here it would be seen as bias.
All im asking is for the facts so members will know what they get.

Believe me when i say i want the Vortech to suceed , why not ? I dont have any commercial interest at all. All my systems have always been one of , for me.

It would just be good to see that they disclose everything about the kit and thats why i posted so as the non informed maybe can get something by my questions
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MANDALAY For This Useful Post:
drifter (01-26-2013), Sportsguy83 (01-26-2013), Wes (02-19-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #26
MANDALAY
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
Should'nt be high at all if there is an intercooler in the system - which there is. Timing values are likely to be quite close to stock if the IAT are under control from the intercooler - which would be a piece of cake to do at 5psi

Again buddy bring up another point . If i were to sell a kit , which i wont , ild be selling it like no tomorrow on all its points

Aesthetics
Power
Upgrade ability
Show gains
Show loses
Temperature points

etc

Have any these been menioned ?
IC effectiveness, psi lose , IAT's

In a mad rush to get kits out , lots of this info hasnt been shared. Gee i thought i would see IAT's of the stock engine then with the kit installed.

If this info is being kept secret because of commercial interest so be it but say it.
Do you think Bullet doesnt have all the answers well they DO. Its just that they keep quiet
Old 01-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #27
Tradewind

Drives: 2006 Subaru Liberty EZ30 S/charged
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Post Interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANDALAY View Post
Again buddy bring up another point . If i were to sell a kit , which i wont , ild be selling it like no tomorrow on all its points

Aesthetics
Power
Upgrade ability
Show gains
Show loses
Temperature points

etc

Have any these been menioned ?
IC effectiveness, psi lose , IAT's

In a mad rush to get kits out , lots of this info hasnt been shared. Gee i thought i would see IAT's of the stock engine then with the kit installed.

If this info is being kept secret because of commercial interest so be it but say it.
Do you think Bullet doesnt have all the answers well they DO. Its just that they keep quiet
It would be interesting to see this data from all the producers - have the turbo kit manufacturers and other SC kit manufacturers listed all their data to the extent that Mandalay is requiring from Brian?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #28
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
It would be interesting to see this data from all the producers - have the turbo kit manufacturers and other SC kit manufacturers listed all their data to the extent that Mandalay is requiring from Brian?
I don't think any of the other SC or TC kits have done it, but that shouldn't be a free pass to not answer the questions ( or at least say hey, its proprietary information can't disclose). If anything, releasing all the information will probably win more customers for Vortech in the transparency front.

Just my 0.02 on the topic.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote