follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
BC-Boy

Drives: 2013 Brz sport-tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Borla Catback Installed ! sounds like a Beast

So anyone who has seen my build thread knows i had a Greddy sp elite with a resonated frontpipe (invidia) Jdl Uel & overpipe.
Before the header the sound was smooth and tame not loud at all, after the header the rasp made its presence. I had to wrap my frontpipe to get rid of that thin wall pipe rasp like when you empty a cat, and also the backbox being a chamber type muffler had a good deal of rasp over 4000 it was allmost embarassing how raspy it was between 4000-6000, but there was 0 drone and a smooth tone in the cab where you could hear the engine as much as the exhaust. this setup made 184hp 145ftlbs tq i have the dynos in my build thread.

Now the Borla, install was fairly easy some rubber hangers were streched to the max making it hard to line up the tail pipes perfectly (OCD) but eveything fit smoothly (note the flange for donut gasket is ment for a 2.5in pipe and larger donut gasket than stock). Upon startup it was clear that there was no more rasp the sp elite had a insane rasp upon start up, the Borla just had a super deep bassy growl, driving its LOUD , not cruiseing but anytime you step on the gas its very deep and loud, very deep like having a sub woofer in the trunk running a constant deepass bass note. You cannot hear the engine anymore, BUT that deep tone is only until 4000rpm, past that the sound is absolutely mental , it has a nasty powerful,hi power sound to it, which the sp elite at that rpm started to rasp and sound like slapping thin steel sheets with a rubber mallet, the Borla sounds like a Beast ! if only i could tame the low drone than this exhaust would be perfect in every way.ALSO the boxxer rumble is much much more distinctive with this exhaust sounds like a 05 sti with strait 3in exhaust
Performance was noticeable at start up, like when i put the overpipe the engine had trouble finding its sweet spot to idle, it kept dipping and idleing high until finally it found a groove ,the car does seem to have more power and reading logs the mass airflow seems to have a tad bit higher reading truout the band,meaning that more air is allowed to flow tru the entire system, not a lot even hard to determine but it does seem to have freed up some air flow, Toni @ fa20club is reviewing my logs and im awaiting a updated file, then i will go back to the dyno for a last pull and see if im any closer to the 190hp mark i want to be at
BC-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
teamturbo

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1 on the Borla. I love the drone free, aggressive race car sound produced from this exhaust. Opening this exhaust up above 4,000 RPM is magic to my ears!
teamturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:00 AM   #3
dxero

Drives: 13 BRZ Sport Tech WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
about to order mine soon! I can't wait to hear this everyday!
dxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:28 AM   #4
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Boy View Post
So anyone who has seen my build thread knows i had a Greddy sp elite with a resonated frontpipe (invidia) Jdl Uel & overpipe.
Before the header the sound was smooth and tame not loud at all, after the header the rasp made its presence. I had to wrap my frontpipe to get rid of that thin wall pipe rasp like when you empty a cat, and also the backbox being a chamber type muffler had a good deal of rasp over 4000 it was allmost embarassing how raspy it was between 4000-6000, but there was 0 drone and a smooth tone in the cab where you could hear the engine as much as the exhaust. this setup made 184hp 145ftlbs tq i have the dynos in my build thread.

Now the Borla, install was fairly easy some rubber hangers were streched to the max making it hard to line up the tail pipes perfectly (OCD) but eveything fit smoothly (note the flange for donut gasket is ment for a 2.5in pipe and larger donut gasket than stock). Upon startup it was clear that there was no more rasp the sp elite had a insane rasp upon start up, the Borla just had a super deep bassy growl, driving its LOUD , not cruiseing but anytime you step on the gas its very deep and loud, very deep like having a sub woofer in the trunk running a constant deepass bass note. You cannot hear the engine anymore, BUT that deep tone is only until 4000rpm, past that the sound is absolutely mental , it has a nasty powerful,hi power sound to it, which the sp elite at that rpm started to rasp and sound like slapping thin steel sheets with a rubber mallet, the Borla sounds like a Beast ! if only i could tame the low drone than this exhaust would be perfect in every way.ALSO the boxxer rumble is much much more distinctive with this exhaust sounds like a 05 sti with strait 3in exhaust
Performance was noticeable at start up, like when i put the overpipe the engine had trouble finding its sweet spot to idle, it kept dipping and idleing high until finally it found a groove ,the car does seem to have more power and reading logs the mass airflow seems to have a tad bit higher reading truout the band,meaning that more air is allowed to flow tru the entire system, not a lot even hard to determine but it does seem to have freed up some air flow, Toni @ fa20club is reviewing my logs and im awaiting a updated file, then i will go back to the dyno for a last pull and see if im any closer to the 190hp mark i want to be at

are you selling the greddy?

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:41 AM   #5
BC-Boy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
are you selling the greddy?
yes i am its still in great shape, its a good sounding exhaust as long as you dont out a test pipe and header
Old 04-26-2014, 01:47 AM   #6
BC-Boy

Garage
Yah is sounds pretty good but it is loud. BUT watch out it hangs low under the car(the muffler that is), im going to either shorten the hanger or find a shorter exhaust hanger bushing for that center one just behind the muffler , there is a good 2in before the rear subframe, lots of room to lift her up, currently it sticks out a good 2 inchs lower than the factory midpipe which is weird because theres so much room to lift it.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:49 AM   #7
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Boy View Post
yes i am its still in great shape, its a good sounding exhaust as long as you dont out a test pipe and header
I've got a header and fp/op, but the fp is resonated. I've heard this exhaust with header and fp/op and it's not too loud for me at all, and the hemholz resonator on the fp will kill the rasp. It's not loud at all, but one of the quietest exhausts available. With the exception of the q300, I don't know of another exhaust which tames the increased noise from an aftermarket header and fp/op.

I'll pm for pricing info.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 04-26-2014, 01:51 AM   #8
BC-Boy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
I've got a header and fp/op, but the fp is resonated. I've heard this exhaust with header and fp/op and it's not too loud for me at all, and the hemholz resonator on the fp will kill the rasp.

I'll pm for pricing info.
yah i need a nameless f/p or just fit a Helmholtz to my current fp
Old 04-26-2014, 02:11 AM   #9
Asphalt TG
Captain Stabbin

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphault
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Love my Borla man, your description is perfect here it is on my Asphalt FRS.

Also, let us know your dunk results when you have them
[ame="http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iskPYHyWWQ"]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iskPYHyWWQ[/ame]
Old 04-26-2014, 04:23 AM   #10
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt TG View Post
Also, let us know your dunk results when you have them
Fixed it for you (you had an http before your http & it confused the hell out of Chrome )

On phone I am. Therefore, if mistakes I make, Frank Oz blame you should.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
The Following User Says Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
Asphalt TG (04-26-2014)

Tags
borla, catback, uel