follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 12-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
MTD

Drives: Hyundai
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So fellow Canucks, what do you think?

The cars...

I much prefer the BRZ over the FRS, mostly because of the interior. The BRZ interior is pretty nice from the pics Ive seen. Both in options, but in the silver trim look too. The Scion TC parts-bin interior of the FRS is pretty bad. The Navi/push button/leds/etc I can live without, but does it need to look so cheap inside? A base BRZ might be for me. My Elantra Limited was only $24K it its very, very nice inside.

The FRS exterior looks more aggressive, but I kinda prefer the more sedate BRZ look. Wheels can be changed and fogs can be added. Lack of HIDs might be a concern though.

Price?
The FRS under $30K I can deal with, but a BRZ at $35K I cannot. Thats V6 Genesis territory.

General...
As a Genesis owner, I love the small, light and compact size of the FRS/BRZ. But it might also be a downfall for me if I cant fit in it comfortably. The back seats I could care less about, but my 6'1" frame better fit up front. The 2012 Genesis is bringing 275 turbo horses to the game, but its bringing its fat ass with it. Love the hp, looks and interior. Hate the size and weight.

Fellow Canucks, what are your thoughts?
MTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
baldolera

Drives: None Yet
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I totally agree with you on the interior. The radio looks like crap and the HVAC is mediocre, but because I saw the auto HVAC on the 86 I was quite disappointed in the unit in the FR-S. I hope Scion makes all those things that we want like the auto HVAC, Navi, trim, materials, etc. options so we can pick and chose what we want freely. FR-S for Canada should start at around 23-25K because of the slight markup from the US, but Subaru will most likely butcher the price for Canada with a markup of like 4-6K like on their other models. If the FR-S doesn't have the options we want then I will suck it up and go aftermarket.

EDIT: Well, actually after looking at a few pics the BRZ front fascia is actually starting to grow on me. It will all depend on the price and what Scion has to offer for options. We can always put an 86 front bumper on.

Last edited by baldolera; 12-02-2011 at 10:37 PM.
baldolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I agree that some of the interior in the FR-S - particularly the centre stack - is pretty bad. Hell, I'd argue that my 98 Tiburon stack looks better! But the premium for the BRZ given Subie markups here is going to be at least $6-7k and that is too much for me. I'd love to see those rocker panel switches as a Scion option, as well as the BRZ headlights, but the latter is never going to happen. Don't really want the auto climate though, or the cheesy spoiler. And I prefer the Ultramarine blue on the FR-S to the loud Subie blue.

For me it's about the drive, the connection between myself, the car and the road. My father had a 911 at the time I got my license at 16 (and for a few years after that), so I had considerable time to explore just how incredible the experience of driving a brilliant sports car can be. I want that experience from the FR-S.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
Kooney

Drives: 1999 Toyota Solara
The interior of the BRZ seems like a much nicer place to be. The FRS looks cheap inside. Which, granted, was the original intention of this car. I had been expecting roll up windows and no cd player, so the FRS does offer more creature comforts than I had anticipated. I do think it's a shame that the centre console manages to look more dated than my '99 Toyota.

However, I'm a new professional out of grad school with a well paying full time job. I'm just getting established in life, and dumping the majority of my income into a car just doesn't make sense right now. I feel like Scion has managed to cater to someone in my position with a car that's fun to drive and still manages to keep costs down. In Canada we pay over $32 grand for a full spec Mazda 3 hatchback by the time you add dealer fees and taxes, and that doesn't include financing costs. Almost $35K for a basic 3 door VW GTI with 200hp, and don't get me started on a WRX. I can get into a no-options civic for $22K all told, and it'll last forever, but it's not going to put a smile on my face on my way back and forth to work.

I've been holding out on buying a car for a couple of years now in anticipation of the FRS/BRZ. I love the idea of a basic level sports car. I want something fun to drive that I can slide around. I don't need rain sensing wipers and touch screen GPS. I'm just not at that stage in my life. I want a bare bones car that makes me want to go for a drive. However, I don't want to go broke trying to pay for it. There's a serious market here for the FRS if Scion can get the price right, but there's a lot of competition and they have to make sure they don't price themselves out of the market.

I do think Scion is much more fair to us Canadians than Subaru (Scion here will even haggle prices a little bit). I fear that the Subaru will be priced in a totally different class (Subaru also has much higher financing rates, so make sure to read ALL the fine print). For me, pending official prices, the FRS is going to be the way to go. Now I'm just hanging on until official price numbers are released.
Kooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooney View Post
Scion here will even haggle prices a little bit
Interesting, although I suspect they won't be doing that on the FR-S for a long while. I wonder if this "flexibility" means they could pile on a dealer surcharge bringing the price above the MSRP on initial release.... apparently that is not the case in the US.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I agree with the look comment and I was pissed when Scion released it like that but if that helps to keep the price low thats not a terrible thing

also after sleeping my rage away you gotta take in the fact thats its purely a look thing considering you don't really need dual zone HVAC in a car this small

I also secretly hope that it is a luxury option on the FR-S

I would of been a Subie owner for the 1st time but Subaru Canada are ****s
Old 12-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Eighty Six

Drives: 98 Honda Prelude
I'm really happy with how both cars turned out although I wish they didn't look so much alike. It would be cool if they had a few more featuers on the exterior to tell the two apart, for the morst part people will think they are the same car at first glance. The front bumper is the only diffrence that stands out on the exterior. The only thing I really don't like in either car is the radio in the Scion but that is easily replacable.

At this point the only thing that will sway me one way or the other is price and as many people have already said, Subrau is always overpriced in Canada but who knows maybe they will stick close with Scion to create more competition.

Can't wait to get my hands on one!
Eighty Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
XIIIth
Waiting for a 2014 ***el

Drives: '85 AE86 & '04 Mazda 6i
I went from being really hyped with the concepts to being kind of disappointed when I saw how toned down it got for the road going production model. But then hearing about how damn good it is to drive, it spiked it right back up.

I think I'm going to be looking into getting the Scion as oppose to the Subaru. Mostly because of price, but I also like the front fascia on the FR-S more.

The center stack is.. not pretty, but funny enough it takes a lot of it's general design cues from the original AE86 (not where accessories are but general shape sort of) Of all the cars I've owned the best console I've ever used was on my 91 240sx, it was simple, to the point, and driver centric. (plus easy to take apart)

The interior of the FRS is.. not great either but for what it is, it's functional. I could care less about HVAC since like Mr.Jay said, the car is small, it'll heat up/cool down in no time. I don't need push start. I just want something that can bring a smile to my face when I go out for a hot lap the same way my ae does. and that's really the key factor for me.

I signed up for the contest and a dealer contacted me which I'll be looking forward to a test drive. Might not buy it this year, since there is a good chance a turbo version is on the way, but we'll see!
XIIIth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
colHolm
Default User Title

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The one thing I've got to say about the interior is that it is way nicer than any other Scion interior. Soft-touch materials are used throughout, and the HVAC does not feel as cheap as it looks. Overall it is well laid out, well put together, functional and comfortable. Moving to this car from a 2009 IS, I'm sure I'll miss some of the bells and whistles, but I'll get over it.
colHolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
Jehuty77

Drives: AE86
I'm very excited for this car, I've been a Hachi-Roku Owner for the past 5 years, Loving every minute of it, but I wont lie, driving a 25year old car means you must be a backyard mechanic.

I'm definitly in it for the FR-S but the price needs to be right if they dont wanna scare me off

Personally I'm hoping for like 22K before taxes but realistically it will probably be 25K before taxes, if they push it beyond that their making me very nervous.
Jehuty77 is offline   Reply With Quote