follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #29
fridayfrs

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I am curious about something. When I took my drivers test the e-brake was considered the AT version of park. Has that changed?

I would think using the e-brake would be a distraction but that could just be how I was taught.

And yes it's been a good while since I learned to drive a MT. I learned first on a Ford 8n (farm tractor) and then a lovely (not) baby blue pinto wagon that was older than I was at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fridayfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fridayfrs For This Useful Post:
mdm (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 01:47 PM   #30
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
congratulation on your new ride!!hope you enjoy it.

Took me 2 days to learn,,2 weeks to get used to it. I think it depends on person.
But if you practice more,,you ll get used to it faster. Watch some youtube about how manual work will give you the idea and increase the processes.

When you take off from the green light, put little more gas to 2500 rpm,and let go the clutch slowly with confident. Thats what i have been experience.
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #31
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayfrs View Post
I am curious about something. When I took my drivers test the e-brake was considered the AT version of park. Has that changed?

It's more than that. You may (and should*) use it to secure the car when parked. But you can also used it in ways that do not work with Park, like help with uphill starting, emergency brake if the main brake fails, or to induce drift ;-).

* it is sometimes discouraged in freezing temperatures, supposedly water can freeze within the cable sleeve or between pads and rotors and you won't be able to disengage. I always use e-brake when parked and it have never happened to me.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #32
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Most drivers ed classes only teach the basics.
A lot of the fleet cars they use only have a foot parking brake with the ratchet and a release handle located in an inconvenient place.
It's either on or off.
It's a foot brake and not a hand brake. You can't really release those smoothly.

To get around teaching about how to use a handbrake they just don't..
Old 03-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #33
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
It's more than that. You may (and should*) use it to secure the car when parked. But you can also used it in ways that do not work with Park, like help with uphill starting, emergency brake if the main brake fails, or to induce drift ;-).

* it is sometimes discouraged in freezing temperatures, supposedly water can freeze within the cable sleeve or between pads and rotors and you won't be able to disengage. I always use e-brake when parked and it have never happened to me.
How are you supposed to park these cars if you dont use the hand brake though?

I live in the city so pretty much anywhere you park, your car has a chance of rolling around. Either due to unlevel/uneven ground or just something nudging your car.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #34
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
How are you supposed to park these cars if you dont use the hand brake though?

I live in the city so pretty much anywhere you park, your car has a chance of rolling around. Either due to unlevel/uneven ground or just something nudging your car.
Leave it in gear.
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #35
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Leave it in gear.

Yup. But gear plus parking brake is safer. Plus, on inclines turn the wheels so that the car will stop against the curb if everything else fails.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:20 PM   #36
Westen
Native Texan

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I learned to drive manual transmission on my BRZ. I'm not going to rehash what others have said about technique, and I think too much thinking about technique when learning to drive manual is not always a good thing. What helped me the most was remembering that if the car starts stalling, give it more gas or more clutch. I had a habit of panic-dumping the clutch and stalling the car when things started to not go my way.

The most important thing I can tell you about this though, is do not be afraid for the car. You are not going to damage your clutch learning to drive stick, and the car will tell you when it's not happy with you. Your clutch pedal will heat up under your foot if you're shifting constantly, this doesn't mean you're screwing up, it just happens. If you start smelling your clutch (you'll know, it smells bad), stop the car and give it a rest for an hour.

I probably stalled my car about 20 times before I even got it rolling once (this was also on a test drive, it was great). I managed to run it into a curb in a cul-de-sac, couldn't figure out how the reverse gear lockout worked, and had to put it in neutral and push it backwards. However much of an idiot you may think you are while struggling with the stick shift, I guarantee you lots of other people have been there before. Keep at it! One day everything will suddenly come together and you'll realize you're shifting with no effort at all. Practice is all it takes and the reward is a way more fun driving experience.
Westen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:35 PM   #37
xFury

Drives: '16 Scion FR-S - Oceanic
Garage
Also a decent advice I got from YT. If you feel like it need more gas, give it more gas (Not too much tho, like 10%-15% more give or take).

But like other said, we can give you tips and advice all day, but at the end its what you're more comfortable with, since we all don't drive the same way. Practice, practice and practice. Empty lot works best. You can try those driver instructed course (Autocross I believe and a few others, depending on what they have at your local track).
xFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:31 PM   #38
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Come to think about it, My dad taught me how to drive a manual too. Thou I think my nissan was like a lot more forgiving then twin's clutch... Funny How that car is probably lighter then the twins judging by the feel I remember.

But ya, one thing about this car is that it took me a while to figure out where the bite point is, cuz when it was brand new my clutch was light as feather... & it got heavier overtime. So you just need to remember where the bite point is with muscle memory then it will be super easy.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #39
Jfheisenberg

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series Blue WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I learned to drive manual on my brand new BRZ, i was a bit scare to mess things up in the beginning, but like people have mentioned above, DO NOT OVER THINK IT!!. Learn the basic and your brain will just adapt to the new driving habits with time.

You do need to have good reflects and have good cordination between your foot and hands IMO...
Jfheisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:27 PM   #40
Mini Cooper S

Drives: '16 MX5 rip '14 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Straya kunt! Maybe this yt vid can help you visualize it a little bit. [ame="http://youtu.be/ErCw1FfLPf4"]http://youtu.be/ErCw1FfLPf4[/ame]
Mini Cooper S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mini Cooper S For This Useful Post:
ToySub1946 (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 06:38 PM   #41
3nl

Drives: 2015 FR-S 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
^ Handbrake on a hill start comes immediately to mind.

OP, stay away from the "how do I drive a manual" threads.
Handbrake on a hill is silly, until you need it. You should still know how to do it and it and learn it at some point.

Underground parking lot with a 50-60% exit grade with smooth concrete and a gate you have to stop at on the incline to pay. And if you roll backwards too far, the gate closes. That would be an awfully expensive time to learn how to do it.
3nl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:47 PM   #42
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3nl View Post
Handbrake on a hill is silly, until you need it. You should still know how to do it and it and learn it at some point.

Underground parking lot with a 50-60% exit grade with smooth concrete and a gate you have to stop at on the incline to pay. And if you roll backwards too far, the gate closes. That would be an awfully expensive time to learn how to do it.
Still don't need it.... lol
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote