follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2023, 09:29 AM   #1
Asura

Drives: MR2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
86 Engine Failure, typical reasons?

Thought Id ask the guys over the US on your experiences with engine failure.

Considering on getting one if my MOT on my spyder fails due to corrosion.

Ive been considering the following cars and i know ill probably wake up an ongoing age old argument. ND vs the 86.

Im really wanting the 86 given its less common than the mx5, but hearing about engine failures is putting me off as well the dull steering feel of the ND.

Is most of the engine failure attributed to the oil starvation whether or not its FIed?

I thought getting opinions here will help.

Its going to be my daily driver for the first 4/5 years, with the occasional spirited driving since their sports cars. after those 4/5 years ill be looking on taking them to track days. I plan on getting the car on finance so having a reliable platform will be essential. I dont plan on going FI, and at most will do the exhaust and header tune to fix the torque dip as well as get an oil cooler.

Im mostly worries that ill blow up the engine and then not be able to get a replacement given their prices, so on that basis im more likely to go with the ND and bite the bullet on the issues with the transmission, since the fix is more cheaper and it seems like its less likely a transmission failure to occur than an 86 engine failure.
Asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 10:23 AM   #2
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,764 Times in 934 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
IMHO, the most typical reason for engine failure for non-boosted engines on this car has historically been, and will continue to be:

The money shift.

I would be willing to bet that this single factor outweighs all the RTV issues as well all others combined. Factory defect rates on this car are in line with all modern car manufacturers, and forums tend to not be representative of overall market figures.
nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nextcar For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (03-13-2023), Opie (03-13-2023), PulsarBeeerz (03-14-2023), soundman98 (03-13-2023), Spuds (03-14-2023), Tcoat (03-13-2023), Ultramaroon (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 10:37 AM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post
IMHO, the most typical reason for engine failure for non-boosted engines on this car has historically been, and will continue to be:

The money shift.

I would be willing to bet that this single factor outweighs all the RTV issues as well all others combined. Factory defect rates on this car are in line with all modern car manufacturers, and forums tend to not be representative of overall market figures.
All of this ^ ^^^^ All day long THIS.
And...
Modifying beyond the design limits, be it FI, tuning, or or just messing with things that don't need to be messed with.
Of course then any failure is because the engine is crap and the company has no idea what they are doing.
Opie (03-13-2023), Spuds (03-14-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 10:46 AM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,324 Times in 7,382 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post

The money shift.

I disagree. As someone who runs around with groups of other twin owners who track, autoX, do TT/TA. Never seen an FA blow from a money shift. I've done it twice, both times hard enough to spin the car.

I'd say it is poor maintenance.
soundman98 (03-13-2023), Spuds (03-14-2023), Teseo (03-14-2023), Ultramaroon (03-13-2023), Wally86 (03-14-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 10:57 AM   #5
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I've not money shifted on this engine (yet and hope never) but I have cracked a piston once doing it on an STi. It does seem to be a common mishap that leads to failure.

I wouldn't be surprised with money shift being a top contributor, but I can never get over how many people beat on these cars, and don't maintain them as they should.

In short, I would not be surprised in the least if user error were #1 by a good margin. That is most common with ANY car on the market.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (03-13-2023), Wally86 (03-14-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 10:59 AM   #6
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
From reading this forum I would say the most common engine failure is from bringing it to the dealer to get a valve recall done.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
Flarpswitch (03-14-2023), PulsarBeeerz (03-14-2023), soundman98 (03-13-2023), Spuds (03-14-2023), Teseo (03-14-2023), Wally86 (03-14-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 11:29 AM   #7
Asura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
All of this ^ ^^^^ All day long THIS.
And...
Modifying beyond the design limits, be it FI, tuning, or or just messing with things that don't need to be messed with.
Of course then any failure is because the engine is crap and the company has no idea what they are doing.

I definitely don’t intend on going more than stock ideally. But at most would do the following mods I listed to improve the torque dip and prevent oil starvation issue.

I hear the standard service interval is questionable. Over here i think its 9k miles. I’ll definitely look for MY2015 and above but say if the services have been done but its been done accordingly to the manufacturers interval even though the actual interval thats optimal based on forum is around 4k, do you suggest that I still consider it?
Old 03-13-2023, 11:30 AM   #8
Asura

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
From reading this forum I would say the most common engine failure is from bringing it to the dealer to get a valve recall done.

I’ll definitely look at models on or after 2014 MY.
Old 03-13-2023, 11:34 AM   #9
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asura View Post
I definitely don’t intend on going more than stock ideally. But at most would do the following mods I listed to improve the torque dip and prevent oil starvation issue.

I hear the standard service interval is questionable. Over here i think its 9k miles. I’ll definitely look for MY2015 and above but say if the services have been done but its been done accordingly to the manufacturers interval even though the actual interval thats optimal based on forum is around 4k, do you suggest that I still consider it?
The interval is fine unless you are heavily tracking, live in the desert or regularly drive at -40 degrees.
There is zero reason to service more on a daily driven street car.
soundman98 (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 11:49 AM   #10
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:

I dunno where you picked up 4k

Guys have tracked with E85 and done 7500mi intervals and UOA's came back fine. Just use decent oil that meets the requirements specified in the manual and you will be fine.
Old 03-13-2023, 01:10 PM   #11
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Guys have tracked with E85 and done 7500mi intervals and UOA's came back fine. Just use decent oil that meets the requirements specified in the manual and you will be fine.
Any links to follow on this?

We start to see oil dilution after 2K miles, sometimes at just over 1K miles on big built turbo engines. That said, I've never run it on an FA24, but that is a LOT of miles on E85.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 01:16 PM   #12
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
Any links to follow on this?

We start to see oil dilution after 2K miles, sometimes at just over 1K miles on big built turbo engines. That said, I've never run it on an FA24, but that is a LOT of miles on E85.
I'd have to find the UOA thread. There are a few big ones with lots of samples to go off off. I only run E85 on track as it's hard to get here, there are some that use it almost exclusively that have done UOA's.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:33 PM   #13
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:

i don't really know where the idea comes to mind that the service interval is questionable.

granted, i change my oil around 5k miles, but i readily admit that it's always been more for my peace of mind than any factual/mechanical reason.

i think getting a 2015+ model is a good idea, as it gets past the new platform teething issues that occurred, and takes advantage of some of the incremental improvements that were made. but by no means do i consider any '13-14 unreliable by itself. i would absolutely recommend a properly-serviced '13 over a non-serviced '18 with the same mileage/condition.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:34 AM   #14
CedN

Drives: 2013 GT86 fully standard
The amount of bearing related failures like rod knock on these is staggering, thats just how it is, not exactly helped by the recall thing. The later ones are much rarer but seems better built in most ways, they changed quite alot of small things over the years.

Tags
engine