follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2017, 01:43 AM   #1
leevanf

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited A/T
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lighter BRZ without tuning

Hi Guys,

I dont have access to a tune and all so my mods will be limited to reducing weight/dynamics. I'd rather steer away from mods that will change airflow, odometer reading, sensor readings etc. while keeping the car looking generally stock

Heres what i plan to do, please chime in each item!

1. CF Driveshaft - In general, everything seems positive about this mod

2. Lightweight Wheel/Tire combo retaining 17x7.5 215/45 sizes

3. Lightweight Flywheel and Pulley Combo - seems ok at first but i realized it also carries some problems some people are sharing with it like idle problems, dying down fast because it also stops faster. I will have to make adjustments but.. (not something id want to change esp for a traffic daily driver)

4. I want to retain batteries because i hear small batteries need to be charged if unused much. Greater risk of discharge.

5. Retain seats of course.

So there you go. Basically 2 of 3 mods that I wanna do sans a tune.

Last edited by leevanf; 06-20-2017 at 12:56 PM.
leevanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:57 AM   #2
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
1. Can't comment on the effectiveness of CF 1-piece driveshafts other than to say they're expensive.
2. 245's will be pinched on 17x7.5. You want at least an 8, if not 8.5 or 9. They're also heavier. If you're going primarily for weight, stay with 215's. That said, there are some lightweight 17x7s out there, so you can cut weight on wheels. If you have copious amounts of money, there are brake kits with lighter calipers and rotors that will save a fair amount of unsprung weight too.
3. Flywheel, yes. Your shifting will need to be on point, because your RPM will drop faster. Pulley, no. You're not saving a ton of weight there and enough people have reported engine problems associated with lightweight pulleys that I would pass.
4. You can save pounds with a lightweight battery, but I'd want a garage or some place where I could leave it on a tender.

Look into exhaust. The OEM exhaust is freaking heavy. Aftermarket exhaust can be significantly lighter. Titanium exhaust can be tremendously lighter. Also tremendously louder.

Read Anthony's 4 Step Diet Program for a lot more ideas on where to cut weight.

Why can't you do a tune? Premade tunes are as easy as flashing your ECU. I wouldn't get a catless header without a tune anyways; it won't run correctly.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 06:24 AM   #3
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leevanf View Post
Hi Guys,

I dont have access to a tune and all so my mods will be limited to reducing weight/dynamics. I'd rather steer away from mods that will change airflow, odometer reading, sensor readings etc. while keeping the car looking generally stock

Heres what i plan to do, please chime in each item!

1. CF Driveshaft - In general, everything seems positive about this mod
2. Lightweight Wheel/Tire combo retaining 17x7.5 245 sizes
3. Lightweight Flywheel and Pulley Combo - seems ok at first but i realized it also carries some problems some people are sharing with it like idle problems, dying down fast because it also stops faster. I will have to make adjustments but.. (not something id want to change esp for a traffic daily driver)
4. I want to retain batteries because i hear small batteries need to be charged if unused much. Greater risk of discharge.
5. Retain seats of course.

So there you go. Basically 2 of 3 mods that I wanna do sans a tune.
for lightweight ideas start here.

It also depends on what you want to do with your car. If it is a dd that won't see much if any track, then 245 are real overkill and 215's or 205's will be much more entertaining. Also, a cf driveshaft is good, but the aluminum is 80% as good and half the price.

Ignore what people say about lightweight pulley's. They still think we're in 1950 and every car has a massive v8 that needs to be externally balanced. A lightweight flywheel is a good mod, but it doesn't really cause much problems in this car.

As for lightweight batteries it really depends. A stock battery usually weighs 40 lbs. You can now buy all sorts of lighter batteries, to the point where even auto parts stores are selling them. As long as they have 400+ cranking amps and you don't let them sit forever, you should be fine. But if you have a garage it is always good to have a trickle charger installed. There is so many different options now it really is amazing.

Also, buy and install a drop in filter. The computers can adjust enough for that to have an effect. Supposedly brand isn't that important.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #4
BWilky

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've been thinking of alt mods as well, as I'm not looking to squeeze every bit of power out if I can get 90% of the power for less.

Been looking at changing to lighter overpipe and catted front pipe first and axle back. Trying to lower the weight in the front and middle of car first, plus cat backs dont change the power enough to spend the extra on it.

Also, looking to swap FD prior to header and tune as well.

BWilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #5
leevanf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
1. Can't comment on the effectiveness of CF 1-piece driveshafts other than to say they're expensive.
2. 245's will be pinched on 17x7.5. You want at least an 8, if not 8.5 or 9. They're also heavier. If you're going primarily for weight, stay with 215's. That said, there are some lightweight 17x7s out there, so you can cut weight on wheels. If you have copious amounts of money, there are brake kits with lighter calipers and rotors that will save a fair amount of unsprung weight too.
3. Flywheel, yes. Your shifting will need to be on point, because your RPM will drop faster. Pulley, no. You're not saving a ton of weight there and enough people have reported engine problems associated with lightweight pulleys that I would pass.
4. You can save pounds with a lightweight battery, but I'd want a garage or some place where I could leave it on a tender.

Look into exhaust. The OEM exhaust is freaking heavy. Aftermarket exhaust can be significantly lighter. Titanium exhaust can be tremendously lighter. Also tremendously louder.

Read Anthony's 4 Step Diet Program for a lot more ideas on where to cut weight.

Why can't you do a tune? Premade tunes are as easy as flashing your ECU. I wouldn't get a catless header without a tune anyways; it won't run correctly.

Hey gram, whats a good lightweight exhaust that doesnt make the car loud? I want to retain close to stock sound levels. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
Lantana frs

Drives: 13 frs red
Why can't you tune the car? The mods you're talking about will cost thousands and still be less effective than tuning.
Lantana frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
I'm a big fan of light weight. But you'll spend hundreds/thousands to save 5s/10s of pounds, and performance will not be improved by any perceptible amount. Lightweight flywheel is the only thing you'd really notice, and that would be due to revs changing more rapidly during shifting, not from any actual performance improvement.

IMO, enjoy car and save yer $$$.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #8
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
I'm a big fan of light weight. But you'll spend hundreds/thousands to save 5s/10s of pounds, and performance will not be improved by any perceptible amount. Lightweight flywheel is the only thing you'd really notice, and that would be due to revs changing more rapidly during shifting, not from any actual performance improvement.

IMO, enjoy car and save yer $$$.
I'm sure lightweight wheels would make a noticeable difference as well.

Between wheels, spare tire removal, lightweight battery, and lightweight exhaust you should be getting close to 26XX pounds.

The car won't be drastically faster, but it should acclerate/handle/brake better all without making the car harsher to drive on a daily basis.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #9
Psilox

Drives: Nothing yet!
Good thread, interesting to hear about weight mods, not oft discussed around here. Like others have said, I think your biggest savings would be around:
  • Lightweight wheel/tire
  • Lightweight exhaust
  • AGM battery (better cranking performance, better lifetime, lighter for the same capacity, better charge retention)
  • Lightweight (fixed?) front seat(s)

You could really get some decent savings out of these pieces I'd think. Not sure how much difference it would make in acceleration, but would be interesting to compare.
Psilox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:36 PM   #10
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Seems foolish IMO to upsize to 245 width tires, especially if you're leaving power output alone. All you're getting with 245 tires is increased unsprung weight and aero drag. Stay with the stock 215 width.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (06-20-2017), why? (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #11
leevanf

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Seems foolish IMO to upsize to 245 width tires, especially if you're leaving power output alone. All you're getting with 245 tires is increased unsprung weight and aero drag. Stay with the stock 215 width.

Honest mistake! Edited now to 215/45

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #12
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psilox View Post
Good thread, interesting to hear about weight mods, not oft discussed around here. Like others have said, I think your biggest savings would be around:
  • Lightweight wheel/tire
  • Lightweight exhaust
  • AGM battery (better cranking performance, better lifetime, lighter for the same capacity, better charge retention)
  • Lightweight (fixed?) front seat(s)

You could really get some decent savings out of these pieces I'd think. Not sure how much difference it would make in acceleration, but would be interesting to compare.
There are a lot of build threads dedicated to adding lightness. Some people have removed hundreds of pounds
Old 06-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #13
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Lightweight flywheel + CF driveshaft + bucket seats + removal of trunk items + light, single exit exhaust + lightweight 17" wheels and tires + lightweight battery + remove factory crash beam/replace with aftermarket.

Those are simple things that can be done without completely ruining the daily practicality of the vehicle by stripping everything out. It can add up in cost quickly, though:

Corbeau seats/brackets = $800 (~50lbs)
CF Driveshaft = $900 (~15lbs)
Flywheel = $450 (~15lbs)
Removing tools/spare/etc = FREE (30lbs)
Nameless single exit axle back = $300 (~30lbs)
17x8 RPF1s with 215/45 tires = $1600 (15lbs)
Lightweight Battery = $250 (25lbs)
Aftermarket crash beam = $150 (~15lbs)

$4300 and you're looking at ~190lbs removed from the vehicle, while retaining pretty much all of the interior in the original configuration and keeping the features/comforts.

Easiest and most cost effective method is ditching everything in the trunk and going to a Nameless single exit axleback. Those two alone will save you well over 60lbs and cost you ~$300.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (06-20-2017), new2subaru (06-20-2017), Psilox (06-20-2017), why? (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #14
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leevanf View Post
The stock battery weights around 12kg. You can replace it with a 7-8kg battery and don't have any issues. In fact, a deep cycle battery will be better than the OEM one.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
why? (06-20-2017)