follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
CptCaveman

Drives: 05 WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Good Article: Yes, Toyota and Subaru Can... Save Driving!

Good article by Jalopnik:

Quote:
Yes, Toyota and Subaru can… save driving

Lulled into stupor by your in-car DVD player and automatic butt massagers, you may not have noticed, but cars have gotten really, really boring in the last two decades. Sure, they're faster than ever — a 2011 Toyota Camry makes 21 more horsepower than a 1991 Porsche 911 — they're safer than ever and they're more luxurious than ever. But all the above have removed the whole purpose of cars: The driving itself. But change could now be on the horizon. Could a new product from the most beige of automakers forever restore the driver to his rightful place?

And I really do mean cars have gotten boring. Even equipped with a weekly rotation of the newest, most exciting cars on the planet and regular jaunts around the world to drive them on race tracks, I left as Jalopnik's road test editor last year, departing for the more involved climes of motorcycles. There simply wasn't a car on the market that was any longer capable of holding my interest; not when I could swap my driving shoes for a leather suit and actually be allowed to control a fast vehicle using only skill and physical inputs.

Don't believe me? Go bounce off the top speed governor of a CTS-V on the road. Rather than some feat of ridiculous human prowess, you just mash the pedal and point away from trees. Go drive an SLS AMG around Laguna Seca or, rather, sit along for the ride while the automatic transmission and undefeatable stability control do it for you. Hell, you can set lap records in a Porsche 911 GT3 RS all day long without really trying.

But that all changed a week ago when I walked into the reveal of the Scion FR-S here in Hollywood. The car in front of me wasn't about bullshit numbers that translate into very little experience. It wasn't about features and it wasn't about image. It's not designed to perfectly accentuate Mr. Bluetooth Earpiece's striped shirt or make Sally Homemaker feel rugged. Unlike literally every other car on the market in 2011, it's made to do one thing and one thing only. It's made to be driven.

There's been some bitching in Jalop circles that the Scion FR-S/Toyota GT 86 and its Subaru BRZ cousin don't make headline-grabbing power figures. To them, I say, who cares? I've driven the most powerful cars on the planet and been bored to tears doing so. The problem is, that with ridiculous power, comes ridiculous liability.

No automaker is free to allow mere mortals to exploit a 556 HP luxury car without intervention. And I'm not talking about just the electronic kind. Chassis on those cars are tuned for safety, not driver involvement. Stability at high speeds, not agility in tight corners. The hugely wide and extremely low-profile tires needed to put that power to the road grip like hell, but utterly refuse to slide in a controllable manner. Where's the fun when you only have two choices on the menu: grip or spin?

In fact, the whole concept that speed somehow correlates with what we want to do as drivers is completely erroneous. I'm not in this to read some number off a dashboard, I drive cars and ride bikes to develop new skills, then practice them. I drive to participate in a landscape and, occasionally, to scare myself.

The best driver's car I've ever owned was a BMW that weighed 2,813 Lbs and made 167 HP. The Scionotabaru weighs 2,689 Lbs and makes 197 HP. That's plenty for me. That I'll be able to drive it without playing into the ideas that our midwestern and southern readers probably have about me and my skinny jeans and that I'll be able to carry luggage and occasionally some buddies in the back seats just makes it that much better.

To put those numbers in perspective, a current BMW M3 weighs 3,704 Lbs. Over 1,000 more than the Subionta. Where's the fun in that?

That the GT 86/86/FR-S/BRZ was able to get down to such a svelte weight without the use of exotic materials is indicative of its appeal. It doesn't need a carbon fiber roof or magnesium wheels or drillium pedals in order to perform. Which means you'll be able to make it perform for just $24,000. That's less than a VW Golf TDI. You can afford this car. You can afford to crash this car and you can afford to repair it. That means you can afford to really, really drive it. Hard. You can afford to modify it. You'll probably be able to do the maintenance yourself, in your driveway.

When I walked into that FR-S unveil I saw a car that was small, a car that was practical, a car that was unassuming, a car that was RWD, has a manual transmission, a light weight and perfect weight distribution. I saw a car that I wanted, badly. For the first time in a long time.

I'm planning on buying a BRZ. How about you?
CptCaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Whoa damn. Feels like, well, he gets it.

Quote:
It wasn't about features and it wasn't about image. It's not designed to perfectly accentuate Mr. Bluetooth Earpiece's striped shirt or make Sally Homemaker feel rugged. Unlike literally every other car on the market in 2011, it's made to do one thing and one thing only. It's made to be driven.
Best quote ever
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Kids Heart

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Damn good read.
Kids Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I agree with everything except the part about being able to afford to crash and repair a 24K car. 24K is still a lot of money for a car for me. But then, I am a lot older than most of the fans of this car.
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
ryude

Drives: Volkswagen GTI
I think he meant fenders and such are designed to be cheap, hence the bland design on some of the exterior.
ryude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Reading fail. BRB
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
mines13

Drives: '13 FR-S '12 CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mines13 Send a message via Yahoo to mines13
I agree with all of it, well written. This is coming from someone who usually hates Jalopnik articles.
mines13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
Syldrin
Troll Feeder

Drives: boosted scion tc.
he spelt FR-S wrong at the end there.
Syldrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #9
Syldrin
Troll Feeder

Drives: boosted scion tc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mines13 View Post
I agree with all of it, well written. This is coming from someone who usually hates Jalopnik articles.
agreed this guy trys to hard to be like clarkson and just comes across as an asshole.
Syldrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
ft86Fan

Drives: FR-S, Exige S, Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by syldrin View Post
he spelt FR-S wrong at the end there.
Yes, he "spelt" it BRZ
ft86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86Fan View Post
Yes, he "spelt" it BRZ
lulz
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
TheRipler
Reap the BReeZe

Drives: 04 LandShark STi
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
I agree with everything except the part about being able to afford to crash and repair a 24K car. 24K is still a lot of money for a car for me. But then, I am a lot older than most of the fans of this car.
It's a matter of perspective, I suppose. I think the author is coming from the view that it's cheaper to crash and repair than any other new car you would take to the track. When you actually use a car like this to its full potential, it's just an understood cost that you will incur. Track rats will understand this.
TheRipler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by syldrin View Post
agreed this guy trys to hard to be like clarkson and just comes across as an asshole.
On the money.

In the same paragraph of talking about how cars are boring he says this:
Quote:
Hell, you can set lap records in a Porsche 911 GT3 RS all day long without really trying.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #14
DuMa

Drives: LR BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i like the reference to teh BMW E30. but honestly there have been many driven purpose cars in the last 20 years. MR-S, S2K, MX-5, RX-8,
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote