follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
Axel

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Toyota FT-86: a goldmine for aftermarket parts

content removed

Last edited by Axel; 03-21-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Ground N Pound

Drives: S2K
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I definitely think many owners will upgrade mechanicals for the FT-86 before warranty is up. The demographic of this car is going to be younger car enthusiasts who aren't as conservative and worrying about warranty everytime they drive the car. I personally have never waited for warranty to expire before modding.

But it sounds like he's saying that Toyota itself will have plenty of aftermarket support for the car which would make the warranty issue moot since presumably installing TRD parts will retain the car's warranty. Win on both fronts!
Ground N Pound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground N Pound View Post
I definitely think many owners will upgrade mechanicals for the FT-86 before warranty is up. The demographic of this car is going to be younger car enthusiasts who aren't as conservative and worrying about warranty everytime they drive the car.

But it sounds like he's saying that Toyota itself will have plenty of aftermarket support for the car which would make the warranty issue moot since presumably installing TRD parts will retain the car's warranty. Win on both fronts!
As I said on the other forums, look for TRD to make a wide range of performance parts for this car shortly after its release.

The evidence is pretty clear, TRD made almost EVERY imaginable performance upgrade for the AE86 (and they are still some of the most highly desired/ quality upgrades for the 86 to this day). We're talking a range from $13,000 Formula Atlantic 4A-GE fully built to street-tuned version of suspension bushings, shocks, springs, tie-rods, etc. It goes on and on.

And yes, I do expect TRD to have some sort of force induction kit to purchase for the car. So long as it doesn't come factory, then all the better.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,102 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 681 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
As I said on the other forums, look for TRD to make a wide range of performance parts for this car shortly after its release.

The evidence is pretty clear, TRD made almost EVERY imaginable performance upgrade for the AE86 (and they are still some of the most highly desired/ quality upgrades for the 86 to this day). We're talking a range from $13,000 Formula Atlantic 4A-GE fully built to street-tuned version of suspension bushings, shocks, springs, tie-rods, etc. It goes on and on.

And yes, I do expect TRD to have some sort of force induction kit to purchase for the car. So long as it doesn't come factory, then all the better.
Yeah, it's TRD always make after market parts and they'll always will. That's how TRD makes a money. lol
ichitaka05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
I would much rather buy TRD aftermarket parts then have to do the research between infinite aftermarket companies and then hope you pick the best one. This is especially important to me when it comes to big upgrades such as suspension and engine modifications. Wheels are hard to get wrong but buying the wrong turbo or suspension can easily ruin a car for.

I don't care if Toyota is making this car to profit off us, if it is well balanced, the aftermarket parts provide significant improvements, and not over priced I will have no problem shelling out.
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:17 AM   #6
AZNWOKZ

Drives: AE86
Its going to be pretty hard since They are going to work with a Boxer engine parts to under TRD names. They would prob need data from Fuji Industries. Anything non-related to the engine. Its very marketable.

Interesting how this is going to work out.
AZNWOKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:40 AM   #7
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNWOKZ View Post
Its going to be pretty hard since They are going to work with a Boxer engine parts to under TRD names. They would prob need data from Fuji Industries. Anything non-related to the engine. Its very marketable.

Interesting how this is going to work out.
Hm... Not really, I'm pretty sure they have some kind of contract with FHI, so I'm sure FHI will give the info to TRD. Also c'on it's Toyota we're talkin' here. If they can't evolve around new system, they would have went bankrupted long ago. lol
ichitaka05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:44 AM   #8
AZNWOKZ

Drives: AE86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Hm... Not really, I'm pretty sure they have some kind of contract with FHI, so I'm sure FHI will give the info to TRD. Also c'on it's Toyota we're talkin' here. If they can't evolve around new system, they would have went bankrupted long ago. lol
We dont really know about the Back of the house idea for future possible generations of this car. I dont know how owning 17 percentage shares of Fuji Industries is going to allow them to do what we think they can do.

I think is mostly seeing this more for better technology and this car will help in both ways. Also allow them both for sales.
"
On April 10, 2008, Toyota increased its stake in FHI to 16.7% and announced the end of minicar production at its facility in Gunma Prefecture. Daihatsu, a subsidiary of Toyota, will instead supply the cars to FHI"

I got that from Wiki. I dont know how much that will translate in our FT-86 car.
AZNWOKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
Shadowsong6

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang
As nice as TRD's stuff is, I'm thinking I might load up on ARC, HKS and a few other JDM parts, depending on who produces what for the car
Shadowsong6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNWOKZ View Post
We dont really know about the Back of the house idea for future possible generations of this car. I dont know how owning 17 percentage shares of Fuji Industries is going to allow them to do what we think they can do.

I think is mostly seeing this more for better technology and this car will help in both ways. Also allow them both for sales.
"
On April 10, 2008, Toyota increased its stake in FHI to 16.7% and announced the end of minicar production at its facility in Gunma Prefecture. Daihatsu, a subsidiary of Toyota, will instead supply the cars to FHI"

I got that from Wiki. I dont know how much that will translate in our FT-86 car.
You have good point. But c'on it's Toyota we're talkin' here. It's not like they're new in the tuning work (F1 & 3, JRC & WRC, JGTC & GTC, Le Mans & other racing events). Like other have said, as long as they don't do like Corolla S, FT86 is in good hands. lol
Old 10-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
MR2fan

Drives: 91 MR2
Does Subaru have an in-house tuning arm like TRD (sorry not familiar with subies at all) ?? If so, and the cars are sharing engines I'm sure we'll be able to use some aftermarket parts put out by their tuning division. So we might have a situation where Toyota and Subaru 086a owners are cross shopping for aftermarket parts for maybe best value and performance. Weird
Old 10-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
Shadowsong6

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2fan View Post
Does Subaru have an in-house tuning arm like TRD (sorry not familiar with subies at all) ?? If so, and the cars are sharing engines I'm sure we'll be able to use some aftermarket parts put out by their tuning division. So we might have a situation where Toyota and Subaru 086a owners are cross shopping for aftermarket parts for maybe best value and performance. Weird
Subaru's in-house is called STI
Shadowsong6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #13
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong6 View Post
Subaru's in-house is called STI