follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-03-2019, 03:22 PM   #43
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
I've already reached out to two local Subaru/BRZ centric performance shops and asked exactly that. I'll be getting quotes tomorrow, but the preliminary answers are I can pay them a fraction what the dealership wanted and get the timing cover resealed, AND all the parts installed. I usually like to do things myself, but I'm sure the exhaust is rusted to hell, so having a shop do it might be beneficial. I already have the O2 sensors installed in the new header, so it would be a quick part swap.

Assuming I have them install the parts, do you guys think it's safer to gently drive the car home on the factory tune, or flash the preliminary Delicious tune in their parking lot and drive home on that? I'm thinking driving gently home on the factory tune shouldn't cause any major issues...
Do you NEED to drive it home? if so, the car will be totally fine. If not, load the tune up in the parking lot! Either way you will be fine, just wont perform as best it could with the tune. Hopefully you get some enthusiasts on the phone who are excited to help. Keep us posted! You will enjoy the new found power and that Torque Dip being absent.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:00 PM   #44
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Garage
Quote:
Hey folks. I've never done any of this stuff on a car before, so I'm just looking for some tips before I get started. I have installed coilovers, swapped to a BBK, installed a catback, and done other stuff, so I consider myself mechanically competent, but I've not done these mods specifically ever before.

A few questions:

1. Sounds like all I really need to do is remove the medal skid plate (and maybe the fiberglass one as well) in order to make everything "accessible" under the car.

2. Do I need any special tools, and are there any special precautions I need to take, when removing the O2 sensor(s)? Still unsure if it's one or two sensors I'll be removing. It's just one, right? I keep hearing the wires are fragile, and the sensors are sensitive. Will a normal wrench/socket work for removing these?

3. Removing the header sounds simple enough - undo a bunch of bolts. I know it won't be because the car has seen 5 salty winters, and almost 70,000 miles, so I'm sure lots of PB blaster will be involved (hopefully nothing more), but the physical removal sounds simple enough.

4. Engine mounts: I've never "jacked" an engine before. It's my understanding that as long as I unbolt it from the two mounts, I don't need to do anything else before jacking it up a few inches? How high can I safely jack it up without breaking anything? And what is a safe jack point? This probably makes me the most nervous. After that, sounds like I just unbolt the stock engine mounts and bolt in the STI ones, and then lower the engine back down.

5. Can someone tell me (or point me to a thread) that has all of the torque specs for both the mounts and the header/overpipe?

6. Any other tips/tricks I should know before getting my hands dirty? Any tools I should acquire in advance?

I appreciate the insight. Thanks!
Literally, YOUTUBE.
All of your questions will be answered on there.
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #45
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Quote:
I've already reached out to two local Subaru/BRZ centric performance shops
Get it back together yet?
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #46
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones View Post
Get it back together yet?
Nope. I've got the work scheduled with a local Subaru performance shop on March 4th and 5th. So a few weeks out. I'm also actually going to have them install the parts because the labor cost was very reasonable, and it'll save me the headache of dealing with rusty exhaust flanges and whatnot

So I'll report back in a few weeks, but a lot of this is moot now, lol.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-07-2019), Timmy_Jones (02-08-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 11:06 PM   #47
Jimmythedude

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 Oceanic Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Not moot for me! I just placed my order for the ACE 350 header, i wasn't going to spring for the mounts but after reading this i think it might just be worth it.

I was going to wait for a bit before going all in for the delicious tune, as i don't have any ecutek gear or licenses (so it's another $1200 roughly) but it seems like it might be better just to do it all at once?

Did you get everything fixed up and installed?
Jimmythedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:11 AM   #48
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Do it all at once. No point in getting header without a tune especially the ace header. Ace header with stock tune you won’t even notice any difference besides the sound and the car not running as smoothly. You need a tune to unlock it’s potential.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #49
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmythedude View Post
Not moot for me! I just placed my order for the ACE 350 header, i wasn't going to spring for the mounts but after reading this i think it might just be worth it.

I was going to wait for a bit before going all in for the delicious tune, as i don't have any ecutek gear or licenses (so it's another $1200 roughly) but it seems like it might be better just to do it all at once?

Did you get everything fixed up and installed?
Lol, look just a few threads further down for my video of what it all sounds like installed: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133513

I would definitely do the tune at the same time. The tune made a HUGE difference in how the car felt, by the way. Totally worth it. Also, I'm addicted to Launch Control now, lol.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:16 PM   #50
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Thanks for the heads up on the lock washers. That should basically be included in the instructions, with how easily these nuts seem to loosen (lol).
Old 04-26-2019, 01:36 PM   #51
Semiihcircle

Drives: 17 BRZ
What did you guys do for torque values? Header to engine, Header to overpipe, Overpipe to frontpipe... just did the install and i think i have leak its not loud because i only hear it while accelerating, but it sounds like air hissing... and my low end torque is gone.. but im still working with CSG and delicious tuning on the tune
Semiihcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #52
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,066 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiihcircle View Post
What did you guys do for torque values? Header to engine, Header to overpipe, Overpipe to frontpipe... just did the install and i think i have leak its not loud because i only hear it while accelerating, but it sounds like air hissing... and my low end torque is gone.. but im still working with CSG and delicious tuning on the tune
they can spot a exhaust leak from logs. ask them..
tomm.brz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
Semiihcircle (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 02:12 PM   #53
Semiihcircle

Drives: 17 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
they can spot a exhaust leak from logs. ask them..
idk i just called delicious tuning and they said they might not be able to tell
Semiihcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #54
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,066 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
it sounds strange.. at least a little hint they shouldhave but it probably needs more time than they want to spend )
tomm.brz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:00 PM   #55
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiihcircle View Post
Recheck and re-tighten until it doesn't move on subsequent checks.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:14 PM   #56
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Sorry to bump this but...

Do you really need new motor mounts for the ACE header? Is there that little clearance compared to any other overpipe? I plan to install the CS400 and wasn't certain if the clearance was any different to the A350.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote