follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #1
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
UEL + Catback vs. UEL + OP/FP + Catback: How will the sound change?

I can't really tell by watching videos since everybody has a different mic, or a different setup.

I'm considering the following setup:

JDL Catless UEL
JDL OP + Ultra-quiet FP
Perrin 2.5 Resonated CBE

Would there be noticeable change in rasp or loudness with the OP/FP?

Last edited by mistople; 01-12-2018 at 03:39 PM.
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:57 PM   #2
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistople View Post
I can't really tell by watching videos since everybody has a different mic, or a different setup.

I'm considering the following setup:

JDL UEL
JDL OP + Ultra-quiet FP
Perrin 2.5 Resonated CBE

Would there be noticeable change in rasp or loudness with the OP/FP?
You will not have rasp, you will get bassy rumble beat
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:59 PM   #3
mistople

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
You will not have rasp, you will get bassy rumble beat
Heh.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:28 AM   #4
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
OP/FP doesn't have nearly the bearing on sound that headers or cat-back do. It'll be very slightly louder, especially with that setup. Perrin won't rasp.
mistople (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
mistople

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
OP/FP doesn't have nearly the bearing on sound that headers or cat-back do. It'll be very slightly louder, especially with that setup. Perrin won't rasp.

Thanks! Good to hear. I assume it changes the character of the engine/exhaust note though?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #6
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I went from Nameless header, Nameless fp/op with helmholz and Perrin 2.5 resonated CBE to Ace a350 + JDL UQFP and it's definitely got more drone than it did. It's not raspy, but it's about as loud as I would want it.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have JDL UEL (HFC) + Perrin OP + Motiv uncatted FP + Perrin 2.5 resonated CBE.

I installed all of the components at separate times.

Catback first. This obviously makes the car louder than stock but still fairly quiet. Will sound close to stock on the freeway but definitely louder when you get on it. Has a nice deep tone.

Added the OP next. If there was a change in volume, it was undetectable by my ear.

Header came third. Because I went with a high flow cat, it seems the volume wasn't increased by as much as many people warn. Still noticeably louder and could only hear the UEL rumble below ~3500.

The FP created the most noticeable difference in volume. I have the test pipe so it is literally just a section of straight pipe - no resonators or cats. After installing this, the car is fairly loud when you are on it. Not quite N1 status, but mature racecar loud IMO. Cruising there is still no drone. I can now get some pops and burbles on rev-matched down shifts and if I have been driving spiritedly, occasionally I will get a pop on an upshift.

I still drive with my rear seats down so the volume of the exhaust is more pronounced. With the seats up, volume goes back to pretty much how it was with just OP + CBE with the seats down.

From your proposed setup, it sounds like you will be quieter than my setup. The JDL headers don't seem to provide a massive volume bump like the Tomei for instance, but will still add a bit of volume. The JDL OP+FP ultra quiet still will be a volume bump over stock setup, but from what I have heard it isn't very much.

I hope that helps provide you with the info you are looking for. I would recommend doing header and CBE first and determine how you like the sound. If you want louder, then look into changing out the FP. OP is more for people who have money to blow/want to know they have done the most to remove all restrictions from stock exhaust, but doesn't have much of an effect on exhaust note.
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brayden_23 For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 02:21 PM   #8
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
paging @Tcoat
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:26 PM   #9
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
paging @Tcoat
Can't help much on this one.
Now if he wanted to know about TRD...
gtengr (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #10
mistople

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayden_23 View Post
I have JDL UEL (HFC) + Perrin OP + Motiv uncatted FP + Perrin 2.5 resonated CBE.

I installed all of the components at separate times.

Catback first. This obviously makes the car louder than stock but still fairly quiet. Will sound close to stock on the freeway but definitely louder when you get on it. Has a nice deep tone.

Added the OP next. If there was a change in volume, it was undetectable by my ear.

Header came third. Because I went with a high flow cat, it seems the volume wasn't increased by as much as many people warn. Still noticeably louder and could only hear the UEL rumble below ~3500.

The FP created the most noticeable difference in volume. I have the test pipe so it is literally just a section of straight pipe - no resonators or cats. After installing this, the car is fairly loud when you are on it. Not quite N1 status, but mature racecar loud IMO. Cruising there is still no drone. I can now get some pops and burbles on rev-matched down shifts and if I have been driving spiritedly, occasionally I will get a pop on an upshift.

I still drive with my rear seats down so the volume of the exhaust is more pronounced. With the seats up, volume goes back to pretty much how it was with just OP + CBE with the seats down.

From your proposed setup, it sounds like you will be quieter than my setup. The JDL headers don't seem to provide a massive volume bump like the Tomei for instance, but will still add a bit of volume. The JDL OP+FP ultra quiet still will be a volume bump over stock setup, but from what I have heard it isn't very much.

I hope that helps provide you with the info you are looking for. I would recommend doing header and CBE first and determine how you like the sound. If you want louder, then look into changing out the FP. OP is more for people who have money to blow/want to know they have done the most to remove all restrictions from stock exhaust, but doesn't have much of an effect on exhaust note.
This is great, thanks for the detailed notes

Do you mean that the JDL catless UEL is quieter than that Tomei catless UEL? Interesting...
Old 01-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #11
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistople View Post
This is great, thanks for the detailed notes

Do you mean that the JDL catless UEL is quieter than that Tomei catless UEL? Interesting...
His JDL UEL is catted so it makes sense that it's quieter than the catless Tomei.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #12
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Can't help much on this one.
Now if he wanted to know about TRD...
was hoping you'd have some inputs on the number of vrooms and braps
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #13
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
For perspective, the first (out of like six now) exhaust setup I had was Tomei catless headers, Tomei titanium catless FP, some random ass OP that looked like a ten year old welded it (I think Tanabe), and a Perrin 2.5" resonated CBE. The headers were installed last, then I went back to the stock FP/OP to see if I could mellow it out a bit, and all I could really say for it is the midrange was tamed a bit, and it was somewhat quieter, but for the most part it wasn't a huge change.

IMO these cars make sense to do things a bit weird since the headers have the most restrictive cat, and do Headers -> CBE -> FP/OP. I'd recommend purchasing one at a time if you're not looking at some kind of bundle deal so that you can see how each influences the system and adjust plans accordingly. Either way, it's all going to fall down to your own tastes in the long run. Go to some local meets and see what you like, or be like me and run through six different setups.
Chad86 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #14
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
His JDL UEL is catted so it makes sense that it's quieter than the catless Tomei.
In general, there is a very noticeable difference between the 2 headers even when they are both catless.
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brayden_23 For This Useful Post:
Luftwaffel (01-12-2018)