follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 01:23 AM   #28141
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Now, Tcoat ........ back in your army days:

* didn't you brag, during morning chow, how much you liked 0500 PT that morning and you did most of your pushups one armed ... ??

* and even did pushups while waiting in the chow line .. ??

* and when you reached the chin up bar outside of the chow hall, you screamed "more pain drill sergeant, more pain" make me do more chin ups .. ??

* and during bayonet drill, you held your rifle out with fixed bayonet, with one arm longer than anyone else ahhhhhhhiiiiiiinngggg loudly as the tip of the bayonet finally reached the ground..??

* and during the forced marches, with full pack, you would volunteer to be a road guard just so you could run past all the troops, then circle them again ... ??

* not to mention that you insisted on running the PCPT (Physical Combat Proficiency Test) twice - back to back..??

But you never ..... hit the gym? ....... you must be a physical mess .......

humfrz
Well now back in the day...

Army (enlisted):
I drove trucks.
Mostly on air bases.
I got up at 8.
Showered
Strolled over for breakfast.
Went and laid down in the ready room until an aircraft needed fuel.
Worked for 2 or 3 hours.
Went back and napped until about 5.
Went drinking until 3 or 4 am.
Repeated.

Navy:
I was a training officer.

Ashore
I got up about 7
Went to breakfast where the steward took my order and brought my meal to me.
Spent an hour prepping for the day.
A couple of hours in a class room.
Rest of the day showing youngsters with a death wish how to put out fires and plug holes in a sinking ship (we used real fire and an actual sinking ship).
Finished about 6 and drank until 1am.
Repeat

At Sea
Woke up at whatever time my watch started.
Mess Steward brought me whatever breakfast/lunch/dinner was depending on the watch.
Sat on a seat in the corner of the bridge reading a book waiting for the ship to catch fire or start to sink (they never did although some were so old I don't really know why they didn't)
Went back to the Wardroom after my watch and drank for 2 or 3 hours.

I don't think I ever did one push up and sure as hell never asked a drill sergeant for more, participated in any forced marches, or in any other way performed any form of formal fitness program. Hell, in 15 years of service I never even slept in a tent once.

I do however, have two first place awards for a competition where you and a second had to run one kilometer with a 30 cal and ammo, set it up and fire one complete belt in the shortest time possible.
I also passed ever single fitness review with nary a single tick against me. As I am still listed in the supplemental ready reserve as a Lieutenant (N) I have to have a service fitness physical every 3 years. I passed my one in 2015 with no issues and would expect to pass again next year. After reading how some of these young'uns have a hard time getting in and out of their cars and the frequent complaints of aches and pains I feel pretty good about my condition even if I completely lack any muscle definition whatsoever and look as soft as pudding. I have never set foot in a gym in my life.
HotLeopardMama (02-27-2017), humfrz (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 01:24 AM   #28142
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
And later that night it was the shrimp in the Barbie...
That was you looking through the window wasn't it!
Boomerang (02-25-2017), HotLeopardMama (02-27-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 01:26 AM   #28143
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Well now back in the day...

Army (enlisted):
I drove trucks.
Mostly on air bases.
I got up at 8.
Showered
Strolled over for breakfast.
Went and laid down in the ready room until an aircraft needed fuel.
Worked for 2 or 3 hours.
Went back and napped until about 5.
Went drinking until 3 or 4 am.
Repeated.

Navy:
I was a training officer.

Ashore
I got up about 7
Went to breakfast where the steward took my order and brought my meal to me.
Spent an hour prepping for the day.
A couple of hours in a class room.
Rest of the day showing youngsters with a death wish how to put out fires and plug holes in a sinking ship (we used real fire and an actual sinking ship).
Finished about 6 and drank until 1am.
Repeat

At Sea
Woke up at whatever time my watch started.
Mess Steward brought me whatever breakfast/lunch/dinner was depending on the watch.
Sat on a seat in the corner of the bridge reading a book waiting for the ship to catch fire or start to sink (they never did although some were so old I don't really know why they didn't)
Went back to the Wardroom after my watch and drank for 2 or 3 hours.

I don't think I ever did one push up and sure as hell never asked a drill sergeant for more, participated in any forced marches, or in any other way performed any form of formal fitness program. Hell, in 15 years of service I never even slept in a tent once.

I do however, have two first place awards for a competition where you and a second had to run one kilometer with a 30 cal and ammo, set it up and fire one complete belt in the shortest time possible.
I also passed ever single fitness review with nary a single tick against me. As I am still listed in the supplemental ready reserve as a Lieutenant (N) I have to have a service fitness physical every 3 years. I passed my one in 2015 with no issues and would expect to pass again next year. After reading how some of these young'uns have a hard time getting in and out of their cars and the frequent complaints of aches and pains I feel pretty good about my condition even if I completely lack any muscle definition whatsoever and look as soft as pudding. I have never set foot in a gym in my life.
How did you manage to not sleep in a tent? At least nowadays, that's part of BMQ and SQ, and a HUGE part of PLQ (or JLC since you're old)
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (02-27-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 01:26 AM   #28144
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
So what PC games do y'all play?
Dark Souls 3 mostly right now... On my 3rd play through to finish up all the achievements until the final dlc.

I have BF1 but haven't even played it on PC yet.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:42 AM   #28145
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Have been putting a ridiculous amount of time into Witcher 3 since I got it. BF1 gets played every now and then, but I have way more interest in exploring around places than playing a competitive game.

Speaking of, any suggestions for cool RPGs to play after W3? Im tempted to play FF:IX again, but would like to expand my horizons a bit more. Doesn't need to be a current AAA release. Would actually be best if it wasn't a AAA title and isn't a current game.
Origin has Mass Effect 2 for free on PC right now. It's AAA, but it's not current.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:04 AM   #28146
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
How did you manage to not sleep in a tent? At least nowadays, that's part of BMQ and SQ, and a HUGE part of PLQ (or JLC since you're old)
I was not a reservist. Well not after my first 4 months at any rate. I fast tracked a lot since I had been a cadet for 4 years prior to going reserves then very quickly to regs. It was a whole different world back then and what you experienced had changed a lot. Back in the very early 70s cadets trained directly with the reserves and did exactly the same things and received the same qualifications. Unlike now where they are very restricted in what they can do (i.e. pellet rifles and no yelling at them. Ever.) I was qualified on the FN, SMG and pistol at 15 years old. Those qualifications followed me to reserves and then into regs. Because I hit regs fully qualified at 18 years old I went straight into my trade. It is funny to see my certs since the only thing I had to do for basic was throw a grenade so my TQ1 MSE Op qualification is dated April 1977 and my Basic qual is dated May 1977 since that was my first chance to throw one.

My JLC was held at Bordon and was a 4 week course. Again the difference in era and structure from what you know came into play. Remember there was no Army, Navy, Air Force back then just three elements of a combined "Forces" (no Armed in the name because that was aggressive and we were Canadians). Back then it could take up to 6 or 7 years to become a corporal in the regs all depending upon your trade. I took a lot of shit from some of the guys since I had only been in for a year and was only 19 years old. Some were in their late 20s and had been a private for years. This meant the JLC training was not so army focused that you would have gone through and we got to stay in nice comfy barracks. The training was more directed at real leadership instead of just beating the crap out of everybody but we did do most of what you would have.

As far as my officer qual goes I again did not have to do some of the basic stuff due to my prior service so joined the program after they had done al the stomping around in the mud.

I highly doubt that the way I progressed through the system is even remotely possible in this day and age.
HotLeopardMama (02-27-2017), humfrz (02-25-2017), new2subaru (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 02:20 AM   #28147
Phijkchu

Drives: Feet
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
So what PC games do y'all play?
Overwatch Tf2 and CSGO.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:24 AM   #28148
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phijkchu View Post
Overwatch Tf2 and CSGO.
I just now realized that we are a horrible bunch of nerds and a bad influence. You should run away while you can. Run far. Run fast. Don't look back!
HotLeopardMama (02-27-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 05:39 AM   #28149
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ugh. I've been burned by the DICE DLC madness too many times to buy BF1.
Yeah dont bother. I got it to play with my buds 1 month (while they got it at release) yet I'm at almost lv 70 while they are under 20 -_-

I play as stress relief lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
Dark Souls 3 mostly right now... On my 3rd play through to finish up all the achievements until the final dlc.

I have BF1 but haven't even played it on PC yet.

Are you Twintails??? I'm trying to figure out who added me...
The Twins make me smile
Old 02-25-2017, 05:48 AM   #28150
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
Yeah dont bother. I got it to play with my buds 1 month (while they got it at release) yet I'm at almost lv 70 while they are under 20 -_-

I play as stress relief lol

Are you Twintails??? I'm trying to figure out who added me...
Mine should be the same name as here.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:54 AM   #28151
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
Mine should be the same name as here.
ahhh ok.

Might be @Ashikabi then..
The Twins make me smile
Old 02-25-2017, 09:54 AM   #28152
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
ahhh ok.

Might be @Ashikabi then..
Wasn't me. I haven't played anything other than MechWarrior Online (big robots shooting each other) in months.

I've read, being at the gym longer than an hour can be detrimental FYI. Not positive if it's true
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (02-27-2017), soulreapersteve (02-26-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #28153
NickD

Drives: '05 Corvette
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Been playing a lot of Rocket League on PC lately. Such a simple game but so addicting.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #28154
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickD View Post
Been playing a lot of Rocket League on PC lately. Such a simple game but so addicting.
Have that for Xbox. Not a huge fan.

Snagged a deal on a RX 480. Not sure I'm in love with the performance it has over the 1050ti. Considering selling both the cards and getting a 1070. Or maybe I'll just buy into the new Ryzen platform instead...
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis