follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2021, 03:03 PM   #1
Dave01

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Inazuma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Backup camera guidelines - Two sets showing

Hello and greetings from Canada.

I recently acquired a 2017 Subaru BRZ, Canadian Inazuma edition, called the Yellow series and similarly spec'd in the US I believe.

Everything is pretty much all bone stock and with super low millage, ~8000Km.

I seem to be having an issue with the stock head unit, a FA765CS. Whenever I got in reverse, there are two sets of guide lines showing on the display.

I've gone to the diagnostic menu to access the camera settings sub menu and all that I can adjust, is one of the two sets only and cannot disable one of the two, so that only one set is showing.

Of the two sets, one seems to flicker along with the image displayed from the camera, while the other one is steady, which is the one I can adjust from the head unit itself. The one flickering is fixed and cannot be moved nor disabled and seem to be overlayed over the image by the camera itself.

Since the car is over 3 years, I'm out of warranty for the electronics and accessories. I've still gone to a Subaru dealer who said they had never seen this issue and even heard of the diagnostic menu...?? They've directed me to contact Subaru Support directly, which I did with no luck. They don't want to help me diagnose and fix this issue and want me to take the car in to the dealership...???? Yeah, that same dealership who had no ideas on how to fix this issue, who would the contact Subaru for help on how to fix it... Of course, at my own expense....

Soooo.. I'm turning back to you guys, to see if anyone else have had this issue. Not that it's a big issue, but more of an annoyance.

Let me know if anybody would have an idea as to what's causing it and hopefully how to fix it.

I have attached a couple screenshots of my head unit and its display with the two guide line sets.

Thanks,
Dave
Attached Images

Last edited by Dave01; 05-11-2021 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Images
Dave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:20 PM   #2
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Are you certain the camera is an oem camera? Many (most/all) of the ebay/amazon backup cams either have their own set of lines or the option to turn the lines on/off. There is usually a loop of wire sticking out of the back of the camera to cut to turn the lines on/off, often one to mirror the image too.

I'd take apart the trunk panels to access the camera and see if it has an extra wire (or two) sticking out of the sheathing.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:03 PM   #3
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
Are you certain the camera is an oem camera? Many (most/all) of the ebay/amazon backup cams either have their own set of lines or the option to turn the lines on/off. There is usually a loop of wire sticking out of the back of the camera to cut to turn the lines on/off, often one to mirror the image too.

I'd take apart the trunk panels to access the camera and see if it has an extra wire (or two) sticking out of the sheathing.
This 100%. Like you stated, one set is with the image coming from the camera and the other is overlaid by the head unit. The extra set is from the camera itself.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:30 PM   #4
Dave01

At first I tought it was an aftermarket camera, since this is what I installed on my Tacoma and I had to cut a wire so the camera wouldn’t include a set of lines as well.

But before going to the dealer, I looked at it, removed it and could see correct Subaru’s p/n on it. I could not find a wire loop to be cut either.

I’ll remove the camera tomorrow and take a picture and attach it.

In the meantime, if anyone else has got another idea of what it could be, let me know.

Tks,
Dave
Old 05-11-2021, 11:47 PM   #5
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
There should be a factory reset procedure on that head unit. Try finding that procedure and initiating it.

One question: Are your door speakers working?
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:43 AM   #6
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
You could have the camera from the facelift version and the radio from pre facelift.
Before the facelift, it's the radio that draws the lines, after it's the camera. So, mixing them will mess things up.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:42 AM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Something is very odd there. Subaru is well know for frequent updates to their head units (my wife's 17 Impreza had 8 in the first year) but that shows a version that is two years before the car was even sold! The latest firmware update may be in order. How to get that beyond the dealerships I don't know.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:33 AM   #8
Dave01

FR-S2GT86 - Yes, all speakers are working fine. I've looked for a procedure to factory reset my radio but no luck. I'll email Subaru back to see if they can provide me with the info.

gpvecchi - I've attached a picture of the camera showing its p/n. I'll ask Subaru to confirm as well. In which case, I hope they'll agree to find a fix at no charge, regardless of the warranty being expired.

Tcoat - Yeah, I already asked the question about a firmware update and was answered that there was none available.

So that's about it, I'll circle back to Subaru CS support and ask to be put in contact with a technician.

In the meantime, thank you all for your help and knowledge, that's very odd that I'd be the only one with this issue.

If you guys think of something else, let me know..

Tks,
Dave
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2021, 10:04 AM   #9
gpvecchi

Yes, that's the part number of the facelift camera, so the guidance lines are build in.
The old camera version without lines is 86267CA000.
I suspect that the head unit comes from a pre-facelift model, that's the issue; was it stock in your car?
To solve it, you-ll need to replace or the head unit with a new/aftermarket model, or the camera with the old part number...
Old 05-12-2021, 10:10 AM   #10
Dave01

Yep, all stock. When ownership was transferred at Subaru, I even got a 3 months Sirius XM trial showing the corresponding radio code of the head unit in the BRZ, telling me it’s the radio registered at Subaru for my car..

I have emailed Subaru and asked to be put in contact with a Technician to troubleshoot this issue.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:15 AM   #11
gpvecchi

Stupid suggestion: have you checked if there's the option to turn off guidance lines in HU camera settings?
Old 05-12-2021, 10:51 AM   #12
Dave01

Yes but couldn't find one, either from the line diag menu or the service menu..
Old 05-12-2021, 12:04 PM   #13
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this will apply to Subaru, but if you register the VIN of your Scion or Toyota through Toyota's online portal, you can get the service history of your car since before it was sold.

I found that the original owner of mine had to have the battery replaced within a few days of delivery, the A/C system needed recharged within weeks of delivery, and the owner at some time had accidentally tapped the lock-out button in the trunk and it would not pop when he/she tried to get into it.

This told me that:
1) The original owner wasn't smart enough to read the owner's manual,
2) The original owner trusted the dealer too much to do simple tasks for them that they could have easily done themselves had they had enough experience, or were just too lazy to watch a few YT videos to help them figure out the problems on their own.

I came to the conclusion with a few other clues that I found inside, that the person that owned it before I did was either a senior citizen or a young college student who did not modify or abuse the car when they had it, which was good for me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, gather as much information about your car as you can to help you figure your problem out. I suspect that there have been some components replaced in your car that aren't compatible with each other, either by a previous owner or the dealer.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:44 PM   #14
Dave01

I tought it could be the case as well, so I phoned the original dealership, who's done all the service and asked. They never touched the camera nor the head unit and were never asked to look into this issue.

All that was done other than regular maintenance, was to replace the battery this year.

I've asked Subaru if they could swap out the camera, we'll see. Otherwise, I'll just live with it...