follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 02-24-2021, 01:20 PM   #43
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,459 Times in 18,887 Posts
Mentioned: 1105 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanstin View Post
oof, you got me there. thanks for correcting me. I suppose i have to concede my argument now.

look. my point isnt to ruffle feathers. Im just saying you shouldnt immediately assume someone asking for help is in the wrong. the dude just want recommendations for improving his tranny.
I get that. Feathers all smooth here. There was no right or wrong implied, nor was argument - in the negative sense - intended. I made a straightforward suggestion for consideration "Can also learn.."

I did hope for a broader discussion on the issue and am thrilled to have heard from some of our subject matter experts. OP may choose to consider our input and there's still plenty of room to discuss upgrade options. Hell, I may someday go that route.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:42 PM   #44
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
I should note, I've also tried many different fluids, both the popular and less popular options, as well as downshifting at the earliest possible save moments, and the last possible safe moments, as well as one BIG blip and downshift, vs going into every gear, vs going into every gate.

The only one that is tangible is that not skipping gears always makes a big difference.

Typically, per data, my upshifts are about 1.0-1.2s long. I don't excessively load synchros unless someone specifically asks me to do so in their car.

The greyness from my fluid is not from synchro wear to begin with :\
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:02 PM   #45
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I should note, I've also tried many different fluids, both the popular and less popular options, as well as downshifting at the earliest possible save moments, and the last possible safe moments, as well as one BIG blip and downshift, vs going into every gear, vs going into every gate.

The only one that is tangible is that not skipping gears always makes a big difference.

Typically, per data, my upshifts are about 1.0-1.2s long. I don't excessively load synchros unless someone specifically asks me to do so in their car.

The greyness from my fluid is not from synchro wear to begin with :\

Double clutching on downshifts? I heel-toe-double-clutch on all downshifts in every section with decent enough braking moment. Very few corners I do not (T10 at portland, T1 at Road America are examples).

But you mentioned case warpage/flex. What clutch?

I have the OEM clutch (rules, but would use even if legal to change) and suspect that after market clutches without the damper induce more shock into the driveline which could induce what you suggest. Hard to know. When I raced in ITA where changing clutches was allowed I never veered away from OEM to 3 or 6 puck or something undampened for the sake of drivetrain longevity.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:56 PM   #46
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Double clutching on downshifts? I heel-toe-double-clutch on all downshifts in every section with decent enough braking moment. Very few corners I do not (T10 at portland, T1 at Road America are examples).

But you mentioned case warpage/flex. What clutch?

I have the OEM clutch (rules, but would use even if legal to change) and suspect that after market clutches without the damper induce more shock into the driveline which could induce what you suggest. Hard to know. When I raced in ITA where changing clutches was allowed I never veered away from OEM to 3 or 6 puck or something undampened for the sake of drivetrain longevity.
The data is also over a lot of different cars, but the usual suspects are OEM, Exedy non-OE/OEM (e.g. southbend, Cusco), ACT, and OS Giken. Typically with the lighter stuff, I shift a faster to not have to make the clutch bring RPMs up on upshift, and down on downshift.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:57 PM   #47
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just wanted to point out that even tho my transmission is still alive after 6 years of track use (and 2-3 of those years was me learning how to do anything at all at the track), I do get the gray coloration on my fluid on every change like @CSG Mike. I noticed that on very hot days, towards the end of the day, my 4th gear would be hard to engage if I didnt blip perfectly on the downshift. Maybe the extra heat from the south amplifies this to the point of causing permanent damage to the transmission?
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-24-2021)