follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2021, 10:58 AM   #43
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
You think the bulk of the delay on the GR86 is because Toyota wanted to change the car’s handling last minute? I’m still not convinced that’s not a marketing narrative being pushed, but being this behind on orders vs Subaru seems like quite the marketing commitment.
Their “last minute” would have been months ahead of the release. There is no chance at all they waited until the BRZ release and then decided to make changes no matter how much it may appear that way in their statements.

The being “behind” in orders is more likely a lag in their ordering system than in actual production of the cars. We saw the exact same gap in availability in the 2017 86. It’s was a couple of months behind the BRZ on the lots even though the cars were built at the same time.

Everybody likes to read things into these situations when it is more simply just a difference in distribution schedules and planning.
StE92ve (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 11:03 AM   #44
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Their “last minute” would have been months ahead of the release. There is no chance at all they waited until the BRZ release and then decided to make changes no matter how much it may appear that way in their statements.

The being “behind” in orders is more likely a lag in their ordering system than in actual production of the cars. We saw the exact same gap in availability in the 2017 86. It’s was a couple of months behind the BRZ on the lots even though the cars were built at the same time.

Everybody likes to read things into these situations when it is more simply just a difference in distribution schedules and planning.

I meant last minute as in early 2021, when we heard the reports of Akio driving the prototypes and wanting a change.

That said I didn’t know the Toyota cars had a similar delay in 2012, sounds reasonable.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:19 AM   #45
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I meant last minute as in early 2021, when we heard the reports of Akio driving the prototypes and wanting a change.

That said I didn’t know the Toyota cars had a similar delay in 2012, sounds reasonable.
Delay was in the facelift 2017s.
The changes would have been planned well before 2021 or else the parts would have cost them a fortune. It isn’t like they call up the local Pep Boys and say “hey we would like 5,000 different thickness sway bars tomorrow please” changes to the parts contracts at the very last second would have the parts manufacturer drooling at how much they could charge.
WolfpackS2k (10-21-2021), Yoshoobaroo (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 11:55 AM   #46
toomoody

Drives: 2007 Toyota Prius (for now)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autosenses View Post
My buddy called Subaru of Paramus and toyota (not sure which toyota but close to paramus) and both told him they will sell at MSRP as soon as orders are available.

In upstate NY, my local toyota dealer said as long as I order it with them they will charge MSRP plus any incentives are available (which at this point is just financing).
I'm striking out at pretty much every dealership. I've called ten dealerships in the area (including the two closest to Paramus) and they are either not taking -pre-orders or are looking to charge $2-3k over MSRP. I found own place that said it would be MSRP, but he's asking for $1k non-refundable deposit, and I'm not comfortable doing that unless/until I can actually make a pre-order (not just get first dibs on a wait list).
toomoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:05 PM   #47
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
But Subaru revealed the car in November 2020, so they got first marketing too.
First but not best effort.

Subaru Canada didn't even bother to have a car early for reviews.

Toyota Canada actually brought over a "prototype" (ie: no VIN) for reviews and passing around to various outlets to publish reviews against. I sat in that car - it was valued at $1M Canadian due to the prototype status. Either way, I do agree its really odd at how this car is being birthed by both companies.

Subaru Canada configurator and full on pricing is listed on their website. Toyota? Not a peep other than in "future vehicles".

Also, I wouldn't say the marketing is virtually nil. When the first gen was released, Scion did have a good contingency program and showed up at several events with the cars giving people a shot at driving them and such.

The same is about to happen to kickstart Gazoo Racing ... in Canada anyways.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:05 PM   #48
Jegan_V

Drives: 2023 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I can only update on what I've heard from my sales guy. Still no pricing, so impossible to negotiate when there's nothing official, hopefully Toyota can finalize the pricing for November or December, extremely weird how the Subaru side has everything ready including pricing. Perception from the consumer side is as if Toyota still isn't ready for this car even though we see from the BRZ thread people are getting VINs now thus cars have been built and assigned and meanwhile the Toyota side is quiet as to what price GR86s will be.

I'm on the side of I want to test drive before I fully commit, basically I would have to order my own car to effectively get a test drive. If somehow I don't like it I will not be punished, as they believe they can easily sell it no problem. I was given a minimum of 3 months time frame between ordering and delivery. So it appears my actions is going to be order in January...which is coincidentally the same time I had to order my 2014 Monogram which arrived in late March. Literally repeating what I did 8 years ago.
Jegan_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:43 PM   #49
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
The simplest explanation is that Subaru negotiated to get the first # of cars as they seem to have led most if not all of the development of the car this time around.

That includes Toyota not being allowed to communicate with dealerships and not being allowed to price the car until a set date. If you told me that GR86 models are built and just sitting in a lot somewhere that wouldn't surprise me.

Subaru is likely banking on the early adopters who would opt for the GR86 to go for the BRZ instead as it will be on lots and they won't be able to wait the 60-90 days. It is a win for Subaru and a win for their Dealer network who will be happy to have something to sell on their lots.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 09:20 AM   #50
toomoody

Yeah, I honestly would have just gone with the BRZ if I didn't love the stupid Neptune Blue so much. I tried to talk myself into ordering a WR Blue BRZ but I can wait a few more months to get the exact car I want. I run cars into the ground (currently driving a 2007 Prius), so what's a few months for 10+ years of ownership?
Old 10-21-2021, 09:52 AM   #51
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
This is extremely annoying if you want to see pricing before deciding to go with the BRZ or GR 86.

Of course ultimately, I probably won't be interested in either model until the performance package is available.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:29 PM   #52
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
The simplest explanation is that Subaru negotiated to get the first # of cars as they seem to have led most if not all of the development of the car this time around.

That includes Toyota not being allowed to communicate with dealerships and not being allowed to price the car until a set date. If you told me that GR86 models are built and just sitting in a lot somewhere that wouldn't surprise me.

Subaru is likely banking on the early adopters who would opt for the GR86 to go for the BRZ instead as it will be on lots and they won't be able to wait the 60-90 days. It is a win for Subaru and a win for their Dealer network who will be happy to have something to sell on their lots.
Agree on Neptune Blue - reason enough to go GR86 and wait. And while that would be the only thing that would push me over the edge on the Toyota vs. the Subaru (given delay and, probably, slightly higher price), I also appear to be one of the few that prefers the GR86 "cleaner" front end as well as the duckbill spoiler. And frankly, while I know this is stupid, I also prefer the Toyota name and badging.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
FRSapex (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 12:46 PM   #53
ddotffoeg

Drives: 2022 GR 86 - Neptune Blue
I completely agree with you. I like the Toyota styling better, the duck bill trunk is sick. I am also obsessed with Neptune Blue. I've always wanted a car in that color and I'll hold off until then.
ddotffoeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:57 PM   #54
toomoody

Team Neptune Blue!

I also appreciate Toyota doing 2 years of maintenance, the free track day, and the Toyota dealership is more convenient to me than the Subaru dealership for service. But Neptune Blue is why I'll be driving a shitty sedan for 4-6 more months.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:16 PM   #55
AK2112

Drives: 22 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
Agree on Neptune Blue - reason enough to go GR86 and wait. And while that would be the only thing that would push me over the edge on the Toyota vs. the Subaru (given delay and, probably, slightly higher price), I also appear to be one of the few that prefers the GR86 "cleaner" front end as well as the duckbill spoiler. And frankly, while I know this is stupid, I also prefer the Toyota name and badging.
Interesting that you think the Toyota might have a higher price. I assumed an identical price or maybe a tiny bit lower than the Subaru but not higher.

Regardless, it sure would be nice to know already
AK2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:57 PM   #56
Kelse92
At the track

Drives: '14 FRS - Former e92 M3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sooo, now that we have pricing. Maybe orders sometime next month?