follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-05-2022, 01:43 PM   #1
iborngrebe

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question I want to buy a 120,000 mile 2013 FR-S

Hello All,

I am looking into purchasing a 2013 Scion FR-S Automatic that has 123,000 miles on it. I looked up the carfax and from what I can tell it looks like it was maintained routinely (21 service records). Also looked up the VIN and it says it has 0 unrepaired recall services so I’m assuming it had the key ignition and valve spring recalls done already. Anything else I should be looking out for? My main concern was the mileage but have read if properly maintained the engine can last up to 300k. I would appreciate any and all input.

Best,
Ian
Attached Images

iborngrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 03:09 PM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
100k miles really is only a 'problem' for new car dealerships still stuck in the ways of american vehicles of the 1970's not lasting past 90k miles before literally falling apart. if one can't get up to 200k anymore, someone really screwed something up.

looks like a nice well maintained car. looks like a lip/body kit installed, i'd be checking behind the radio, and underneath the trunk carpets for wire nuts, electrical tape, and happy-home-owner electrical mistakes that could pose an issue later.

also, it appears to missing a clutch pedal!
weederr33 (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 03:35 PM   #3
iborngrebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
100k miles really is only a 'problem' for new car dealerships still stuck in the ways of american vehicles of the 1970's not lasting past 90k miles before literally falling apart. if one can't get up to 200k anymore, someone really screwed something up.

looks like a nice well maintained car. looks like a lip/body kit installed, i'd be checking behind the radio, and underneath the trunk carpets for wire nuts, electrical tape, and happy-home-owner electrical mistakes that could pose an issue later.

also, it appears to missing a clutch pedal!

Thank you for the quick response. Yes I noticed there was a front lip, side skirts kit on but I actually like the look of it. Thanks for tips on areas to look. Also if it wasn’t going to be a commuter/daily I would get the manual, but living in SoCal I predict there will much bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 02-05-2022, 03:38 PM   #4
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,588 Times in 2,930 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
That's a pretty rare lip kit now days. Also, I agree, the 120k miles shouldn't be an issue so long as it was maintained properly. I'd try to get a torque bluetooth tool or something else to run a diagnostic just in case the dealership hid any CEL.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:08 PM   #5
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
something to consider for your haggling and very-near maintenance requirements, 120k is the 2nd major mileage interval on these cars. unless you can locate the service records proving otherwise, always assume that zero of the previous service intervals for anything were observed--i personally know 2 people that ignored this advice and then lost their kia's to an over-due timing belt taking out the motor that cost more to replace than the vehicles were worth.

these cars don't have a timing belt, but the advice stays the same-- consider the price of the car, as well as the price of catching up on all the maintenance that can't be proven. at 120k, spark plugs(every 60k), replace all fluids(oil, trans, rear diff, and brake), and a brake pad check would be my bare minimum, i'd also at least get the battery tested, they generally only last 5 years-- my last couple vehicles have always been bought at the end of that 5 years, so i always end up buying a battery within 6 months.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98730

as always, YMMV.
Old 02-05-2022, 06:56 PM   #6
iborngrebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
That's a pretty rare lip kit now days. Also, I agree, the 120k miles shouldn't be an issue so long as it was maintained properly. I'd try to get a torque bluetooth tool or something else to run a diagnostic just in case the dealership hid any CEL.
That’s a good idea. Thank you for your advice.
Old 02-05-2022, 06:58 PM   #7
iborngrebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
something to consider for your haggling and very-near maintenance requirements, 120k is the 2nd major mileage interval on these cars. unless you can locate the service records proving otherwise, always assume that zero of the previous service intervals for anything were observed--i personally know 2 people that ignored this advice and then lost their kia's to an over-due timing belt taking out the motor that cost more to replace than the vehicles were worth.

these cars don't have a timing belt, but the advice stays the same-- consider the price of the car, as well as the price of catching up on all the maintenance that can't be proven. at 120k, spark plugs(every 60k), replace all fluids(oil, trans, rear diff, and brake), and a brake pad check would be my bare minimum, i'd also at least get the battery tested, they generally only last 5 years-- my last couple vehicles have always been bought at the end of that 5 years, so i always end up buying a battery within 6 months.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98730

as always, YMMV.
A lot of great insight here, thank you. Unfortunately I reached out to the dealer and the vehicle already sold. I am bummed, but still in the hunt. If anyone else finds one available in the $13,000-$15,000 range in red or white let me know!
Old 02-10-2022, 10:59 AM   #8
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Checkout FB forsale groups, they are all over Cali for the same price with far less miles.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, automatic frs, high mileage, scion fr-s