follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 11-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Very good point, but then again how many birds are shitting on snow covered cars in the winter?
Just throwing it out there.
And at my house it is an issue. There are birds that winter around my parts and the crazy cat lady across the street feeds them There can be a flock of several hundred hanging around for months. It is fun when the hungry hawks come and use ones attracted to the feeder area as a buffet though.
Cole (11-27-2015), go_a_way1 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #16
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
hahah Tcoat that sucks
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #17
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There is a pile of detail that could be added to this but I am sure that others will fill in the gaps for me.
@ichitaka05 can we link this thread to the New Guy FAQ under the question "I want to store my car what should I do?".
added
Old 11-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #18
nickmerronesucks
Ned flanders

Drives: 13 BRZ, 16 Hellcat, 22 Ram 2500
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Geeez we can't be everywhere all the time (even if it appears we are)

This is about the 1,000th post on this subject so I will try to give my opinion in a definitive manner and then maybe we can add it to the FAQ thread.

Storage basics can sometimes be subject to debate and some will agree and disagree to all of these but this is what I have gleened from the threads and personal experience.

Any storage:
Battery - Use a battery tender or remove battery and take inside or at least disconnect it. There is a great deal of parasitic draw from all the electronics on modern cars and if left as is the battery will go flat rather quickly. A flat battery can freeze and even burst. If removing never store a battery on a concrete floor or the ground as this will destroy it.

Starting - If planning to start periodically be sure to let the car run until completely warmed up. The first few minutes of running produces condensate from the air and if you only start the car and run a couple of minutes this will settle back into the system as water. Very bad. Obviously running the car in an enclosed space can be deadly.

Tires - If long term storage is planned (more that 3 months) then tires can develop plat spots. Most of the time these spots can be dealt with by simply driving but they can be permanently damaged if the storage is prolonged. There are special holders that you can park the car on that will prevent or minimize flat spots that are said to work well. The tires can also be protected by placing the car on jack stand. If using jack stands though they should be placed under the suspension to keep it loaded. If placed under the body and the suspension is allowed to droop it can cause problems.

Cleaning - Use a quality sealer and wax. Make sure the car is as clean as possible both inside and out . Be very sure that your missing ham sandwich didn't side under the seat where it will now rot and create a sweet mold colony.

Fuel and Oil - Fill the tank! A part empty tank will collect moisture through temperature fluctuations. A fuel stabilizer will help maintain the gas quality through the storage. Some recommend doing an oil change before storing but there is little value to that. The oil is not breaking down when it sits there. Do a change shortly after removing from storage.

Critters - This can be serious issue for both inside and outside storage. Although there are many "home remedies" put forward for this (use soap, spray dog urine, etc) nothing is as effective as killing them before they can cause damage. A commercial rat/mouse bait will take care of the small ones but if you end up with squirrels, possums or raccoons it is best to call a professional and have them take care of the issue. Keep garbage and food as far away from the car as possible. Otherwise you just create a critter bed and breakfast situation.

Indoor Storage:
Basics - If possible store in a climate controlled place to reduce moisture. Ensure that you have enough open space for the car. If things start to get piled on or against it there is a risk of damage. Leave the windows open a crack to let air circulate through the interior.

Paint - Make sure the car is clean and sealed. If in a regularly used garage a light weight cover will protect from dust and debris. Don't forget your car is in there when you decided to do that big spray paint job you put off all summer.

Outdoor Storage:
There are certain benefits and drawback to both covering or leaving open.
Location - Park the car in as sheltered an area as possible and on a solid surface. If parking for a long term on asphalt (especially in hot areas) place a 2 foot square of plywood under each tire to prevent it from sinking in. Do not park on open ground or anyplace where weeds and grass can grow under your car. This will rust it faster that salt. Check overhead and nearby for trees, limbs loose eve troughs or anything else that can be blown into or fall on the car. This is frequently overlooked and can result id serious damage.

Covered - Do not cut corners on the quality. An improperly fitting cover can flap or move in the wind and do substantial damage to the paint on your car. Ensure it is well secured. Quality covers have a soft felt like material inside and this can greatly increase the paint protection. Good covers also "breath" so they offer protection from the elements but do not trap and hold moisture. Never, ever, ever, for any reason use a tarp or one of the cheap polypropylene covers unless you are a total masochist! Also keep in mind that a cover increases the appeal of you car as a home for critters.

Uncovered - Treat the tires with a UV reducing tire treatment to prevent the sun from breaking them down. This isn't a big issue when driving but a parked car will start to show sun damage fairly quickly. Let the snow and ice be. Don't clear it off no matter how much you want to stare at your car in wistful desire to be driving it. The very act of wiping it off can cause damage and if it is left there it actually does a great job of protecting the paint.

There is a pile of detail that could be added to this but I am sure that others will fill in the gaps for me.
@ichitaka05 can we link this thread to the New Guy FAQ under the question "I want to store my car what should I do?".
Wow great post..thanks so much.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #19
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerronesucks View Post
Wow great post..thanks so much.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
And now that Ichi did his part we can just link people to it and don't have to keep saying the same thing twice a week.

In your particular case though I would pay close attention to the critter section. You mentioned it would be near the garbage cans and that can really be an issue since the wildlife love parked cars in the winter.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #20
WhiteFRS69

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,432 Times in 756 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Experiences may vary!
Wasn't it yours with the pic last winter of the cover blown off?
nope not me
WhiteFRS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteFRS69 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #21
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,825 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
From what I gather A cover outdoors will hold moisture in which is very bad lol
There is a million posts on the subject of winter storing indoor and out
It really depends on how much you want to spend
if you have the funds, just store it, or even ask a buddy if he has room in his garage
I've read so many posts before I stored mine, some get pretty intense
Like I put sheets of plywood under mine where some people say the wood holds moisture and is not good for the underbody, they say just under the tires
some other posts say NEVER start it unless you plan on driving it to warm it up (oil temps do not reach high enough with an idle?)
some say pull the fuel pump fuse and prime the car to take the pressure off the pump, some say wrap your wipers so they don't stick
sorry now I'm rambling lol.... slow day at work
I'm thinking ....... you're over thinking ....... this storage thing .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 02:06 PM   #22
humfrz

Quote:
I'm really surprised @humfrz or @Tcoat hasn't chimed in yet
These guys are pretty active and know alot
Well, Tcoat knows a lot ...... I'm just active .......

humfrz
Tcoat (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #23
BlueSky

Drives: 2015 Aozora BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I'm thinking ....... you're over thinking ....... this storage thing .....

humfrz
LOL the BRZ was my first new car bought
I always store my vehicles for winter but with this one I wanted to do everything by the book
Plus ft86club is my home page at work so I have time to search
BlueSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #24
Tcoat

Quote:
Well, Tcoat knows a lot ...... I'm just active .......

humfrz
Hey. We are a Team!

Old 11-17-2015, 02:26 PM   #25
humfrz

Quote:
Hey. We are a Team!

humfrz
Old 11-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #26
humfrz

Quote:
LOL the BRZ was my first new car bought
I always store my vehicles for winter but with this one I wanted to do everything by the book
Plus ft86club is my home page at work so I have time to search
Yep, I hear that!

Brings to mind storing my first brand new car.

Back in 1966, I was deployed for two years and "stored" my pride and joy, back on the farm, in a barn.

My father moved it to another part of the barn ...... under where the pigeons roosted.

My younger sister just turned 16 and asked if she could drive it.

My younger brother needed new tires for his car ..... and guess where they came from.

My other younger brother wrecked his car and needed transportation ..... yep, you guessed it.

I came home to my pride and joy and the bird poop had eaten through the paint; the battery was dead; the tires were bald; the front end was smashed up ....... and it was out of gas .........

humfrz
Attached Images

Justin.b (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 03:24 PM   #27
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
Don't put a car cover on it. If you want covered storage, buy something like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x...age-69039.html .

For the most part, putting a car cover on for long term outdoor storage in winter has the potential to cause more damage than it prevents.

Fill the tank, pour some fuel stabilizer in it. Either put a battery tender or pull the battery. If you're worried about critters there's a product called fresh cab that you can throw in the car. Smells like pine and keeps out rodents (I just bought a bunch of this to try to keep them out of my garage for the winter).

Honestly, you're overthinking this. In all likelihood, you could park this car at the first snow with no special preparation and jump start it in the spring without any issues.

-Justin
Justin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:26 PM   #28
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
Quote:
Yep, I hear that!

Brings to mind storing my first brand new car.

Back in 1966, I was deployed for two years and "stored" my pride and joy, back on the farm, in a barn.

My father moved it to another part of the barn ...... under where the pigeons roosted.

My younger sister just turned 16 and asked if she could drive it.

My younger brother needed new tires for his car ..... and guess where they came from.

My other younger brother wrecked his car and needed transportation ..... yep, you guessed it.

I came home to my pride and joy and the bird poop had eaten through the paint; the battery was dead; the tires were bald; the front end was smashed up ....... and it was out of gas .........

humfrz
My favorite part is that they siphoned your gas.
Justin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Justin.b For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-17-2015)