follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 03-14-2022, 10:11 PM   #687
danson

Drives: 22 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Installed my a129 duo plus dashcams. At first I was intimidated by cable management and fiddling with the trim, but it was way easier than I anticipated. I just tucked the wires behind the headliner, into the a pillar trim, then behind the trim on the side of the glove box. For the rear, I did the same path, but went high behind the top of the a pillar piece, then into the headliner above the passenger door, down the b pillar and along the top of the tiny window. I was able to stuff about 5' of excess cable into the c pillar behind the trim, then along head liner to the cam. There's no wires showing at all, couldn't be happier!!

danson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danson For This Useful Post:
Pete (03-15-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 01:20 AM   #688
Sym

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danson View Post
Installed my a129 duo plus dashcams. At first I was intimidated by cable management and fiddling with the trim, but it was way easier than I anticipated. I just tucked the wires behind the headliner, into the a pillar trim, then behind the trim on the side of the glove box. For the rear, I did the same path, but went high behind the top of the a pillar piece, then into the headliner above the passenger door, down the b pillar and along the top of the tiny window. I was able to stuff about 5' of excess cable into the c pillar behind the trim, then along head liner to the cam. There's no wires showing at all, couldn't be happier!!
Word of caution with the C pillar cable management - there's a lot of space back there so you might end up with a rattle if you didnt wrap up/secure the cables first.
Sym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 10:41 PM   #689
mr.whiskers

Drives: '22 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by diga View Post
I did the MTec spring, I don't drive everyday in bumper to bumper but live in LA so it's inevitable sometimes, it haven't really noticed a difference between stock and MTec, I guess it's a slightly heavier feel in the engagement zone but lighter at the top. There's a tiny bit of play at the top which I'm not sure I like, debating whether or not to just swap back to stock. I think the real fix would be to lower the bite point, I think it's too high (late).
Did mine today.. exactly same thoughts, don't really feel any difference but the slop at the top is kinda annoying.
Overall I don't think its worth the $50cad and like an hour lying on my back in the footwell.. also lost that small c clip while trying to put it back on, so now I gotta figure out where to find one

Debating on just putting back the old spring, but thats gonna be even harder now because the stock one is quite stiff not sure i ll be able to compress it enough with zip ties
mr.whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 11:25 PM   #690
joemysterio

Drives: Mini
Oh that's a bummer, I just ordered the mtec spring yesterday. Now wondering if I should even bother with it... Having that bit of play or slop at the top is very unfortunate.

How do you adjust the bite point? The best i could do or knew what to do on my previous car was to add an adjustable clutch stop that allowed me to add or remove multiple rubber discs to decrease or increase the dead space between the clutch pedal and the floor. That made a huge difference for me.
joemysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 11:37 PM   #691
eyeballs

I ordered one awhile back but held off on install since the reviews on the 2nd gen weren't all positive. Once I get to the exhaust and can hear the car better (rather then the speaker noise) I doubt the stock spring will bother me.
eyeballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:43 AM   #692
mr.whiskers

Yea I wouldn't bother with it to be honest
Maybe it made a big difference on first gen, but from what I understand they improved the clutch feel on second gen anyway so the spring is not really doing much
Old 03-16-2022, 02:13 PM   #693
Panda Grahams

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Break-in oil change completed. My oil extractor hose is too large of a gauge to fit down the dipstick hole, damn. But this is definitely the easiest oil change I've ever done. I was able complete the change between meetings at home. Filled with OEM 0w-20. At 5000k miles I think I will change to Motul 8100.
Panda Grahams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 03:48 PM   #694
Krokodil

Drives: Blue BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Grahams View Post
Break-in oil change completed. My oil extractor hose is too large of a gauge to fit down the dipstick hole, damn. But this is definitely the easiest oil change I've ever done. I was able complete the change between meetings at home. Filled with OEM 0w-20. At 5000k miles I think I will change to Motul 8100.
I am always doing Motul 8100. But I do not know why
Krokodil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:22 AM   #695
mr.whiskers

Was trying to install the stock clutch spring back but with my limited tools and skills its impossible to compress it enough to be able to jam it in there. Even with all my 180lb of weight on it doesn't compress enough.

Oh well I guess the MTEC spring stays, my biggest worry was because how soft the first inch of travel is there might be additional wear on the clutch or throw out bearing (clutch pedal not completely extended when in open position). But having spent some extended time under there I saw that the spring does keep the clutch pedal fully extended, plus some people throw away the spring completely so I am guessing it should be fine.

And I picked up a set of C-clips from work to replace the one I lost, picked out one that fit so at least I have the peace of mind the clutch spring assembly is not gonna disassemble itself while I am driving
Old 03-17-2022, 12:39 PM   #696
Panda Grahams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.whiskers View Post
Was trying to install the stock clutch spring back but with my limited tools and skills its impossible to compress it enough to be able to jam it in there. Even with all my 180lb of weight on it doesn't compress enough.

Oh well I guess the MTEC spring stays, my biggest worry was because how soft the first inch of travel is there might be additional wear on the clutch or throw out bearing (clutch pedal not completely extended when in open position). But having spent some extended time under there I saw that the spring does keep the clutch pedal fully extended, plus some people throw away the spring completely so I am guessing it should be fine.

And I picked up a set of C-clips from work to replace the one I lost, picked out one that fit so at least I have the peace of mind the clutch spring assembly is not gonna disassemble itself while I am driving
You'll likely need to use some heavy-duty zip ties to compress the spring, and hold it while you slot the spring back into place. I've completely removed the spring after trialing the stock and MTEC - you're fine to remove it.
Old 03-17-2022, 02:59 PM   #697
mr.whiskers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Grahams View Post
You'll likely need to use some heavy-duty zip ties to compress the spring, and hold it while you slot the spring back into place. I've completely removed the spring after trialing the stock and MTEC - you're fine to remove it.
Come to think of it I should have tried to go for a drive without the spring to see how it feels
Old 03-17-2022, 03:59 PM   #698
Panda Grahams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.whiskers View Post
Come to think of it I should have tried to go for a drive without the spring to see how it feels
I much prefer it without. The weight doesn't change too drastically, but the feeling of the engagement point is more definitive. I found the stock spring way too close to an economy car feeling.
Old 03-18-2022, 11:01 PM   #699
22 BRZ

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ 6MT IR
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I plugged the fake engine noise speaker thing back in. Hear me out on this one...

I found with the exhaust stock, the car went from zero noise at low revs to very loud at higher revs due to the speaker. I found it rather jarring.

With the CSG catback on, the car is much louder at low revs & higher loads. This means that at the higher revs when the speaker kicks in, the difference in volume isn't as big. The speaker compliments the catback *reasonably* well. Still pretty jarring right at the redline, but I don't rev it out that far all the time.

Maybe I'll feel different in a bit, but i'll leave it plugged in for a while and see how it goes.
Yoshoobaroo (03-19-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 10:42 AM   #700
danson

Drives: 22 brz
added most of my sti aero. My front lip didnt ship with the hardware so waiting on a solution for that. Will update when its all done.

danson is offline   Reply With Quote