follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 09-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #1765
SKELLINGTON

Drives: 2013 CBS BRZ LIMITED
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I would be curious to see two of these with a small intercooler setup. One in its regular spot and one on the charge side of the cooler. Could be fun to play with.
SKELLINGTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #1766
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
If you were going to run an intercooler with this system, it would pretty much have to be a water/air type to keep the pressure drop to an absolute minimum.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #1767
mid_life_crisis

@Robftss You might want to change the recommended octane on your site. The manual calls for 93 for normally aspirated. It doesn't seem realistic to recommend 91 for even mild boost unless the system has a tune with it.

This makes me feel really bad for guys who only have access to crap gas that own these cars. Power is not impressive to begin with: I can't imagine choking it off by having to use lower octane than what it is designed for.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #1768
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
@Robftss You might want to change the recommended octane on your site. The manual calls for 93 for normally aspirated. It doesn't seem realistic to recommend 91 for even mild boost unless the system has a tune with it.

This makes me feel really bad for guys who only have access to crap gas that own these cars. Power is not impressive to begin with: I can't imagine choking it off by having to use lower octane than what it is designed for.
I told Rob about this a long time ago as he was not aware of the manuals recommendations.

Butangs base map was tuned on 91 octane. People running the base map will be fine on 91 or 93 octane, it is completely safe on both.

In the end it should say just as the manual "91 minimum, 93 recommended for optimal performance"

Hth

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #1769
mid_life_crisis

We have different manuals. Mine doesn't mention anything other than 93.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #1770
Bu-Tang

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Nissan Pathfinder
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I get no crickets on 91 shell, has no ethanol mixed in. But I run 94 now when I can but it has the so called "upto 10% ethanol"

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4
Bu-Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #1771
fenton

Quote:
We have different manuals. Mine doesn't mention anything other than 93.
93 is the best choice.... Personally mine has never seen less than 94 but my crickets are louder than a mofo. I did make 178hp stock though so it good for something

The ecu is incredibly smart though.... Running 91 will never hurt you car it will just limit the HP a decent amount.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #1772
mid_life_crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bu-Tang View Post
I get no crickets on 91 shell, has no ethanol mixed in. But I run 94 now when I can but it has the so called "upto 10% ethanol"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
93 is the best choice.... Personally mine has never seen less than 94 but my crickets are louder than a mofo. I did make 178hp stock though so it good for something

The ecu is incredibly smart though.... Running 91 will never hurt you car it will just limit the HP a decent amount.
Interesting, my manual makes no mention anywhere I can find about it being safe to use lower octane, although I'm not at all surprised that the ECU would learn and make it safe to do so. On the other hand, it beats you over the head about how important it is not to use ethanol and how under no conditions should it exceed 10%.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #1773
fenton

Quote:
Interesting, my manual makes no mention anywhere I can find about it being safe to use lower octane, although I'm not at all surprised that the ECU would learn and make it safe to do so. On the other hand, it beats you over the head about how important it is not to use ethanol and how under no conditions should it exceed 10%.
The 94 i use has 10% ethanol and it is great gas. You will just get a little bit less fuel economy with it, figure 3 to 6% less. The reason it cant exceed 10% is the fuel trims will not be able to manage their targets with higher than 10% ethanol.

Other than the crickets mine runs great on 10% eth. Getting about 26 to 28 mpg in the city with ESC on and boosting all the time.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #1774
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I think I'm sold on this as soon as it's a package-in-a-box that runs on shell 91 that I can install in my garage. No way to use stock battery with 2 add-on packs stored somewhere else?

Glad to see local Calgary guys kicking ass and taking names though.
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:05 AM   #1775
SpyderMS

Drives: 2014 BRZ - Crystal Black Silica
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatruth2001 View Post
Used the torque video sync computer program. Look up torque app on wiki and it will provide the tools and guide on how to export the video. In addition to the gauges you can overlay a map with the GPS data being recorded. Be advised the wifi device recording the video should be very close to your router. If the video download tends to hand. All videos were made using a Samsung tablet note 2. I found a phone mount capable of handling a tablet on complete accident at autozone.
I find that copying the folders from my Android device to the folder that the WiFi Sync tool normally saves them to is considerably faster, and you will get all of your videos every time. Still need to use the TorqueSync app to encode them of course, but using it to transfer them fails on me about 90% of the time.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:19 AM   #1776
Drift-Office

Drives: AE86 / FRS / FC3S / GC8 / S14 / R32
Thanked 1,431 Times in 372 Posts
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard0625 View Post
im dying to see what drift office has to thing. I saw that they voted on a poll and felt that this a toy, curious to see if their opinon has changed just a little bit after working on your car.
I'm putting the words to my article as we speak, so gimme a few days now that I have time to work with. I'll do my best to present both sides of this equation.

Cheers!

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
Drift-Office is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drift-Office For This Useful Post:
DaBrz (09-10-2013), fenton (09-10-2013), neutron256 (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #1777
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift-Office View Post
I'm putting the words to my article as we speak, so gimme a few days now that I have time to work with. I'll do my best to present both sides of this equation.

Cheers!

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
Good to hear! Waiting for an update
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #1778
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
I don't want to boast, but guess who just joined the beta test group

My batteries are on order and hopefully I'll receive the kit early next week. I need to give some thought to the method I'm going to use for ECU tuning. I'd like to start with Toma's BRZEdit tune and maybe go ECUTEK from there.

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in NJ For This Useful Post:
fenton (09-10-2013)

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive