follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #1
Jstyle

Drives: 2020 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any recommendations on a lower seat

So I have an somewhat interesting problem. It's not that I'm really tall as I'm only 6'1" but I do have a long torso. As a result my head rubs the headliner when I wear a helmet which is really annoying when your trying to focus.

I was just dealing with it for a while because I don't want to buy two seats, two seat brackets, two sets of rails, a harness bar, then two harnesses. But after getting in a fully harnessed car this weekend at the track again I think I'm sold.

So I know the seat rails are really low as they are. Anyone have any recommendations on a seat that just sits lower or solutions that we know have worked on getting more headroom other then removing the headliner.

Last edited by Jstyle; 10-19-2021 at 12:16 PM.
Jstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:12 AM   #2
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Some of it depends on the design of the bottom of the seat. I have an OMP which is really square on the bottom(In my case, the edge of the seat nearly rests on the bottom of the side mount) but there are other seats which are more profiled (like some of the bride seats) and get a little bit lower. Also, you may have to pass on sliders and mount directly to the floor as sliders alone add nearly an inch of height.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:02 PM   #3
RT-BRZ
FNG

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You're mentioning track seats (I think) so this may not be helpful.

I'm 6'4" and I had a similar problem. I switched to Planted brackets with a pair of Braum seats and that lowered me a good 2-3" and now I fit perfectly.
RT-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:43 PM   #4
Jstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-BRZ View Post
You're mentioning track seats (I think) so this may not be helpful.

I'm 6'4" and I had a similar problem. I switched to Planted brackets with a pair of Braum seats and that lowered me a good 2-3" and now I fit perfectly.
Which Braum did you get? The VenomR?
Old 10-20-2021, 06:26 AM   #5
RT-BRZ
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstyle View Post
Which Braum did you get? The VenomR?
I actually went with the Elite-X since I don't have a roll bar/cage. The general guidance is that you shouldn't use a non-reclining seat if you don't have a roll bar or cage.

The Venom-X does look nice though.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:06 AM   #6
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I'm 6'. I lean the seat slightly back and install the headrest backwards. I use a "CG-Lock" on my seat belt. I can get fair comfortable and feel secure in the seat. Recently, I found a different headrest that doesn't push my head forward.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #7
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I actually went with the Elite-X since I don't have a roll bar/cage. The general guidance is that you shouldn't use a non-reclining seat if you don't have a roll bar or cage.

The Venom-X does look nice though.
Nice looking seats and doesn't look like a crazy price (considering they all appear to be sold by the pair). They're almost all wrapped in leatherette though. Anybody know how well it holds up?
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:18 PM   #8
RT-BRZ
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
Nice looking seats and doesn't look like a crazy price (considering they all appear to be sold by the pair). They're almost all wrapped in leatherette though. Anybody know how well it holds up?
How well they hold up is hard to say. I only use my BRZ for autocross and occasional track duty so it doesn't see a lot of miles or use. They don't seem any worse than any other product I've ever seen with that material.

They are a great deal for the pair and they also include sliders. It's very difficult to beat them in that regard.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:05 AM   #9
Jstyle

Quote:
How well they hold up is hard to say. I only use my BRZ for autocross and occasional track duty so it doesn't see a lot of miles or use. They don't seem any worse than any other product I've ever seen with that material.

They are a great deal for the pair and they also include sliders. It's very difficult to beat them in that regard.
Sorry for the dumb question but I've never put in an aftermarket seat. When you mounted to seat to the Planted mount that's connected straight to the floor pan right? With "sliders" can you move your seat backward and forward?

One more question, since you're tall did you have a problem at all with the shoulder bolsters?
Old 10-21-2021, 10:14 AM   #10
Jstyle

Seems like CG-Lock doesn't exist anymore and I can't find anyone else that has it.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:41 AM   #11
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Quote:
So I have an somewhat interesting problem. It's not that I'm really tall as I'm only 6'1" but I do have a long torso. As a result my head rubs the headliner when I wear a helmet which is really annoying when your trying to focus.

I was just dealing with it for a while because I don't want to buy two seats, two seat brackets, two sets of rails, a harness bar, then two harnesses. But after getting in a fully harnessed car this weekend at the track again I think I'm sold.

So I know the seat rails are really low as they are. Anyone have any recommendations on a seat that just sits lower or solutions that we know have worked on getting more headroom other then removing the headliner.
Buddyclub super low seat rails will put a bucket seat lower than oem seat and still be a slider kind of seat. Otherwise, if that is not low enough for you (which I doubt) you have the option to mount the seat directly to the floor (without sliders), but only you or people of similar leg and arm length will be able to drive in it. Removing the headliner is also an option, altho thats way into racecar territory.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:50 AM   #12
RT-BRZ
FNG

Quote:
Sorry for the dumb question but I've never put in an aftermarket seat. When you mounted to seat to the Planted mount that's connected straight to the floor pan right? With "sliders" can you move your seat backward and forward?

One more question, since you're tall did you have a problem at all with the shoulder bolsters?
No such thing as dumb questions, just dumb people.

All jokes aside, the Planted bracket attaches to the same place as the original seat mounts and then the sliders then the seat. The sliders probably add 1/2" height to the Planted bracket and then whatever seat you have is where you end up. The sliders allow the seat to move forward and back similar to the stock seats. It is worth noting that you don't get the same travel backward that you get with the stock seats. I'm tall but since I did this mod to allow more head room while having the seat more upright so I could be closer to the steering wheel, I wasn't worried about being a little closer to the pedals too. I wear a size 14 and I manage that setup just fine. Remember, you're not on a Sunday fun drive when you're tracking your car and being cozy/cushy isn't the goal.

Keep in mind that the seat choice is critical to the lower bracket choice. My wife doesn't like my setup now because she's not as tall (5'7") so she sits so much lower that she feels like she can't see over the hood. I told her that we'd get her a phone book.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:48 PM   #13
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Quote:
Seems like CG-Lock doesn't exist anymore and I can't find anyone else that has it.
I have tried this but it might work.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Diono-Sup...ilver/21391103
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blsfrs For This Useful Post:
Jstyle (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 08:45 PM   #14
villainous_frx
Off to the track!

Drives: '14 Lava 86, '13 WRB BRZ
Thanked 1,150 Times in 462 Posts
Consider that your seat mounts will also impact seat height. I have Bride FO rails on my Zeta IV and they put me about an inch higher than I would otherwise be with a non-slider Bride rail.