follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rattle from driver's side dash?

I know there are multiple threads on this issue, and I've read all of the relevant ones I could find, but I'm still looking for ideas here before I give up and bring my car to the dealer.

I have a rattle coming from the area of the dash speaker on the left/driver's side of the car. It's been there since I got the car brand new (~1100 miles now). At first I thought it was the speaker grill, so I ignored it until I got around to getting a set of interior panel removal tools and some free time this past weekend. I pulled the grill, the mid, and the tweeter out, and the rattle is still there (and on that note, it's there with the stereo on or off). It seems to happen most often in the 35-45 MPH range (possibly more so during engine braking). It usually pops up for a few seconds and then goes away, making it extremely hard to pinpoint.

It's really, really annoying, and I want to avoid bringing it to the dealer if possible due to the hassle and I doubt they'll give me a loaner car for something like this while they keep my car, so I'm looking for any help I can get. Does anyone have any clue what it could be? I know these rattles are notorious for being hard to track down.

Last edited by Prog; 10-28-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
R2

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I found that one of the wire bundles around what I think was the ecu under the drivers dash (by the left leg) was rubbing against it. Pushing against this stopped the rattle sound. I shoved some paper up there to test it and the sound went away. I have yet to hear it again in months.
R2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to R2 For This Useful Post:
sprintertrueno86 (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
abutterman

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited - WRB, MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
assuming you have an autodim mirror, check the mount at the windshield.

when it comes loose, which it will if you havent had it fixed yet, it'll rattle and resonate through the windshield and make it sound like the dash is rattling. got mine fixed a few months ago and so far so good
abutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
check the wires under the dash on the far left (driver's side) near the fuse box. Others, including myself, found these wires can move around and cause rattle/clicks/tapping sounds. I applied clear caulk to keep the wires from moving around, and the sound is gone.

As a matter of fact, caulk has been my friend with this car to stop various rattles-->black caulk around the home link mirror mount, clear on the wires in the trunk, clear on the panels under the car, and clear all around the wheel-well plastic followed by spray undercoating, has kept my BRZ as quiet as a church mouse. Sounds crazy, but I don't have time going to the dealer for every rattle, which they most likely would not be able to fix anyway.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2 View Post
I found that one of the wire bundles around what I think was the ecu under the drivers dash (by the left leg) was rubbing against it. Pushing against this stopped the rattle sound. I shoved some paper up there to test it and the sound went away. I have yet to hear it again in months.
I couldn't find anything that seemed loose in there, so I'm assuming it was just a bundle of wires hitting the metallic side of the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abutterman View Post
assuming you have an autodim mirror, check the mount at the windshield.

when it comes loose, which it will if you havent had it fixed yet, it'll rattle and resonate through the windshield and make it sound like the dash is rattling. got mine fixed a few months ago and so far so good

I actually found your posts multiple times while searching, but my mirror seems fine. It is sturdy and doesn't shake. Was this what was happening with yours? The car is only a month old and was probably at port about 2 months ago. Maybe they fixed the issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
check the wires under the dash on the far left (driver's side) near the fuse box. Others, including myself, found these wires can move around and cause rattle/clicks/tapping sounds. I applied clear caulk to keep the wires from moving around, and the sound is gone.

As a matter of fact, caulk has been my friend with this car to stop various rattles-->black caulk around the home link mirror mount, clear on the wires in the trunk, clear on the panels under the car, and clear all around the wheel-well plastic followed by spray undercoating, has kept my BRZ as quiet as a church mouse. Sounds crazy, but I don't have time going to the dealer for every rattle, which they most likely would not be able to fix anyway.
I probably won't use caulk, but I'll definitely feel around down there if I can next time I hear the noise. I hate to say it, but it would be easier to diagnose if the noise wasn't so random. But I can reproduce it on certain roads, oddly enough. They must be just bumpy enough to cause the right vibrations.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
sprintertrueno86

Drives: 2018 BMW M2
Went to the dealers and the tech said he couldnt hear it... I will have to fix it myself. The sound is coming from the fuse box wires causing the rattle sound.
sprintertrueno86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
Prog

I just went back down there and tried stuffing a small microfiber towel under various wires and I cannot figure out which one it is. I'm almost positive that's where it's coming from now, as I've put my phone on record and stuck my it above the dash and down by the fuse box and it was almost inaudible above the dash and clearly audible down below. Can any of you guys that fixed this be more specific on which bundle was the issue? I'm so close and this is driving me crazy.

I've attached a picture of the wires down there if it helps in the description.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I know you don't want to use caulk but what I did was fix any wire that had significant movement to the closest structure next to it with a small bead of caulk to keep it from moving.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
I know you don't want to use caulk but what I did was fix any wire that had significant movement to the closest structure next to it with a small bead of caulk to keep it from moving.
I tried putting electrical tape around a few things, but it didn't help. It is incredibly hard to work down there.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
Prog

I took a video of the rattle and myself speaking after the noise occurs and saying where I'm holding my phone. It is clearly under the dash somewhere.

[ame]http://youtu.be/oKsXN6YZ0sk[/ame]

Still looking for help on this. Thanks guys!
Old 11-01-2013, 01:18 AM   #11
sprintertrueno86

No idea what bundle of wires is causing the rattle but I know when my left knee pushes against the panel, the rattle stops.

I might shove a towel as well and see if that works.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #12
Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintertrueno86 View Post
No idea what bundle of wires is causing the rattle but I know when my left knee pushes against the panel, the rattle stops.

I might shove a towel as well and see if that works.
I already tried shoving a towel in and around various places and wires near the fuse box. I also used electrical tape on a few things. Still rattles.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
sprintertrueno86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
I already tried shoving a towel in and around various places and wires near the fuse box. I also used electrical tape on a few things. Still rattles.

Have you tried removing the panel to locate the rattle?

I might take it to the dealers and have a drive with a tech about the noise.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #14
Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintertrueno86 View Post

Have you tried removing the panel to locate the rattle?

I might take it to the dealers and have a drive with a tech about the noise.
I didn't remove the panel down there yet. That's my next step. After that, it's going to the dealer.