follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2016, 08:29 PM   #295
doctorman
Joying-USA

Drives: Highlander 08
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal_48 View Post
Just got a reply about my question from Joying. The head units does not support the obd2 cable to usb but will allow for both the obd2 and phone bluetooth connection at the same time.
the USB OBD2 is a bit tricky the older ones work fine, the new ones some work some do not.
I have used USB model with success.

BT can connect to phone and OBD at the same time. that is the set up in my own car.
doctorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #296
doctorman
Joying-USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketchum88 View Post
Joying-USA
woohoo I am famous of the forum's lol
Glad to see you enjoy your unit.
If I can help in anyway let me know.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:41 AM   #297
Rican_D

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorman View Post
woohoo I am famous of the forum's lol
Glad to see you enjoy your unit.
If I can help in anyway let me know.
So I've watched videos of them taking apart the HU. What I want to know is what exact parts are needed to be replaced in order to update to 5.1? I know one is the core board.
Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:08 PM   #298
doctorman
Joying-USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican_D View Post
So I've watched videos of them taking apart the HU. What I want to know is what exact parts are needed to be replaced in order to update to 5.1? I know one is the core board.
depending on the head unit you have, most head unit need a new LCD, basically the whole internal gets swapped out.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:44 PM   #299
Rican_D

Quote:
depending on the head unit you have, most head unit need a new LCD, basically the whole internal gets swapped out.
Thanks for clearing it up
Old 05-12-2016, 11:40 PM   #300
Aussie

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I just updated my JY-UQ124 from Kit Kat 4.4.4 to Lollipop 5.1.1. I ordered the upgrade kit for $130 + $35 postage to and from Joying. I was surprised to receive an almost complete unit sans front bezel and display. I had to take my old display and replace the touch panel with a new touch panel. The instructions were not the clearest but customer support was able to help with a where does this cable go enquiry.

Once I had the unit reassembled I reinstalled it in my car and powered it up. Lollipop was preinstalled and it booted fine. Unfortunately the touch screen was pretty much unusable, either not registering touches or registering them in the wrong position. I did however have far more luck plugging in a USB mouse and keyboard and was able to configure the unit. Again customer support sent me links for new MCU and update images to install. The thing that was not clear is that for Lollipop the file names now are prefixed by the letter 'd' e.g. the files should have been named dmcu.img and dupdate.img. Unfortunately the file name of the system image was update.img so didn't have the required 'd' prefix. Hence it was not installed. Finally yesterday I tried renaming the file and was able to install the system and was delighted to find that the touch screen now works.

It is still early days but so far I'm finding that my Bluetooth audio is no longer disrupted when Torque initially creates a connection to the Bluetooth ODB-II adapter. On the negative side iGO 2014 navigation just crashes and I am now using Here Maps and am testing Copilot GPS.

Would I recommend it to others? If you are happy with the functionality provided by Kit Kat, it is probably not worthwhile. Similarly you need to be comfortable disassembling the unit, dissecting the screen and coping with the inevitable frustrations.

Hopefully this will help others deciding whether of not to upgrade and if they do overcome some I the issues I encountered.
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie For This Useful Post:
Rican_D (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #301
Rican_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
I just updated my JY-UQ124 from Kit Kat 4.4.4 to Lollipop 5.1.1. I ordered the upgrade kit for $130 + $35 postage to and from Joying. I was surprised to receive an almost complete unit sans front bezel and display. I had to take my old display and replace the touch panel with a new touch panel. The instructions were not the clearest but customer support was able to help with a where does this cable go enquiry.

Once I had the unit reassembled I reinstalled it in my car and powered it up. Lollipop was preinstalled and it booted fine. Unfortunately the touch screen was pretty much unusable, either not registering touches or registering them in the wrong position. I did however have far more luck plugging in a USB mouse and keyboard and was able to configure the unit. Again customer support sent me links for new MCU and update images to install. The thing that was not clear is that for Lollipop the file names now are prefixed by the letter 'd' e.g. the files should have been named dmcu.img and dupdate.img. Unfortunately the file name of the system image was update.img so didn't have the required 'd' prefix. Hence it was not installed. Finally yesterday I tried renaming the file and was able to install the system and was delighted to find that the touch screen now works.

It is still early days but so far I'm finding that my Bluetooth audio is no longer disrupted when Torque initially creates a connection to the Bluetooth ODB-II adapter. On the negative side iGO 2014 navigation just crashes and I am now using Here Maps and am testing Copilot GPS.

Would I recommend it to others? If you are happy with the functionality provided by Kit Kat, it is probably not worthwhile. Similarly you need to be comfortable disassembling the unit, dissecting the screen and coping with the inevitable frustrations.

Hopefully this will help others deciding whether of not to upgrade and if they do overcome some I the issues I encountered.
Your unit is the only the only one that currently has the upgrade kit correct?
Old 05-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #302
Aussie

Garage
Quote:
I don't know about anyone else. I just thought I'd share my experience.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:48 AM   #303
Rican_D

Quote:
I don't know about anyone else. I just thought I'd share my experience.
I didn't mean other ppl I'm talking about your HU. From what I understand they had only put out upgrade kit for only one of the models.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:20 AM   #304
Aussie

Garage
Quote:

Hopefully this will help others deciding whether of not to upgrade and if they do overcome some of the issues I encountered.
Addendum:

Regarding the postage, this is what I received from joying:

35USD is just the shipping fee for the new motherboard and coreboard.
The shipping fee for the old one you return need pay by yourself in your side.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:06 PM   #305
doctorman
Joying-USA

Quote:
UQ124 and UQ130 can be upgraded now.
The Following User Says Thank You to doctorman For This Useful Post:
Rican_D (05-15-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #306
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Is there any word on when a lollipop version of the custom fit one will be available? (the one without the gaps on the side)

-Josh
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
microbionic (05-19-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #307
socal_48

Drives: '15 FR-S RS 1.0
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I just installed the 5.1.1 universal with the toyota harness, i repinned the antenna amp wire. But I am having problem playing music from my sd card or bluetooth from my phone, also cant hear the other person when i make a call. Any idea on what i did wrong or should check?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
socal_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:29 AM   #308
socal_48

Drives: '15 FR-S RS 1.0
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Got it fixed, downloaded the latest firmware and updated the system. Everything works as it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
socal_48 is offline   Reply With Quote