follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86


User Tag List
timurrrr

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-02-2022, 10:57 AM   #281
Tcoat
Senior Member
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,698
Thanks: 61,601
Thanked 107,929 Times in 46,340 Posts
Mentioned: 2472 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
The problem is with the RTV on the pickup and starving the engine of oil, it's already done damage to the bearings and oil pump. Sure you can remove the RTV but you can't remove the damage.
It MAY have already caused damage. There is no way to know without pulling the whole engine apart or it completely fails.
Just because there is RTV it does automatically mean damage was done. If severely blocked the damage will usually be immediate and catastrophic.
Besides, the point was that a baffle plate is not a solution since if indeed blocked enough to cause damage adding a baffle plate won't reverse that and if no damage had yet occurred then removing the blockage prevents it.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:04 AM   #282
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,778
Thanks: 15,740
Thanked 14,463 Times in 6,431 Posts
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
You would be surprised the abuse these things can take NA. At my favorite track I probably get oil pressure dropout into the single digits a couple times a lap while under power. Gen 1 car, 101k miles. Around 35-40 track days.

If sealant plugging the pickup is killing them, they must be running very low pressure for a long time.
Attached Images
 
__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
JusTheG (08-02-2022), Opie (08-02-2022), Tcoat (08-02-2022), villainous_frx (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 11:06 AM   #283
Petah78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Drives: 2022 BRZ sport-tech
Location: Canada
Posts: 376
Thanks: 316
Thanked 181 Times in 113 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Both of you are correct hence pulling the pan is a gamble either way.

At this time, I still do not know if the excess RTV is from the oil pan, timing cover, other areas, or ALL of the above. And i still think compiling a list of failures with build dates will be useful.
__________________
Daijiro Katoh - Champion Forever!
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 10 Acura CSX-S, 17 BRZ
Current: 22 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220
Petah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Petah78 For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (08-03-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 11:15 AM   #284
Tcoat
Senior Member
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,698
Thanks: 61,601
Thanked 107,929 Times in 46,340 Posts
Mentioned: 2472 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah78 View Post
Both of you are correct hence pulling the pan is a gamble either way.

At this time, I still do not know if the excess RTV is from the oil pan, timing cover, other areas, or ALL of the above. And i still think compiling a list of failures with build dates will be useful.
Like I said a list is a good idea. The only issue is that the data would be woefully incomplete. Not everybody that has an issue hangs out on forums or other social media. It could be close but may also paint a totally wrong picture.

Think that from what we have seen there is little doubt that the oil pan is the biggest issue but even a tiny piece introduced after the filter can destroy an engine without even having a single visible piece.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 11:18 AM   #285
Petah78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Drives: 2022 BRZ sport-tech
Location: Canada
Posts: 376
Thanks: 316
Thanked 181 Times in 113 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Like I said a list is a good idea. The only issue is that the data would be woefully incomplete. Not everybody that has an issue hangs out on forums or other social media. It could be close but may also paint a totally wrong picture.

Think that from what we have seen there is little doubt that the oil pan is the biggest issue but even a tiny piece introduced after the filter can destroy an engine without even having a single visible piece.
Actually, now that you mentioned it, it might not be a bad idea to cut up an old oil filter to see if anything is caught.
__________________
Daijiro Katoh - Champion Forever!
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 10 Acura CSX-S, 17 BRZ
Current: 22 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220
Petah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Petah78 For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 11:24 AM   #286
Tcoat
Senior Member
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,698
Thanks: 61,601
Thanked 107,929 Times in 46,340 Posts
Mentioned: 2472 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah78 View Post
Actually, now that you mentioned it, it might not be a bad idea to cut up an old oil filter to see if anything is caught.
If there is that much big stuff in the pickup it is a pretty safe bet there is some in the filter.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:32 AM   #287
Petah78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Drives: 2022 BRZ sport-tech
Location: Canada
Posts: 376
Thanks: 316
Thanked 181 Times in 113 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If there is that much big stuff in the pickup it is a pretty safe bet there is some in the filter.
As a datapoint, i changed my factory fill this past weekend @ 1k miles. I used a kitchen strainer as the oil drained but caught nothing. I still have the old oil filter and will perform surgery on it later this week and report back.
__________________
Daijiro Katoh - Champion Forever!
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 10 Acura CSX-S, 17 BRZ
Current: 22 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220
Petah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Petah78 For This Useful Post:
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires (08-02-2022), Pat (08-02-2022), Robertw (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 11:49 AM   #288
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,778
Thanks: 15,740
Thanked 14,463 Times in 6,431 Posts
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both Toyota and subaru people assessing faults and the solutions to them.

Just because the factory workers are all Subaru, doesn't mean that the engineering and manufacturing design team for the twins are all Subaru - they aren't.

I think 20% is enough to get boots on the ground, as they say
The engine is built in Subaru's plant. Doesn't matter if Toyota was involved in the design or not. It has nothing to do with design and everything to do with manufacturing procedure.
__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
OkieSnuffBox (08-02-2022), Tcoat (08-02-2022), Ultramaroon (08-03-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 12:26 PM   #289
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG
 
jacobe38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Drives: Track BRZ - Supercharged
Location: MI
Posts: 97
Thanks: 22
Thanked 53 Times in 26 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...-repair-denied

looks like R&T put an article out about it, word is definitely getting out. they should've linked this post instead of that other one....but close enough
jacobe38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jacobe38 For This Useful Post:
22 BRZ (08-02-2022), DylanJZA (08-02-2022), Espi (08-02-2022), Jdmjunkie (08-02-2022), LRNAD90 (08-02-2022), mr.whiskers (08-02-2022), NoHaveMSG (08-02-2022), Petah78 (08-02-2022), Robertw (08-02-2022), spcmafia (08-02-2022), timurrrr (08-02-2022), ZDan (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 12:30 PM   #290
mr.whiskers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Drives: '22 BRZ
Location: Canada
Posts: 120
Thanks: 18
Thanked 40 Times in 26 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobe38 View Post
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...-repair-denied

looks like R&T put an article out about it, word is definitely getting out. they should've linked this post instead of that other one....but close enough
Good, the more publicity is around this the better.
mr.whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mr.whiskers For This Useful Post:
DylanJZA (08-02-2022), LRNAD90 (08-02-2022), timurrrr (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 12:46 PM   #291
LRNAD90
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Drives: X5 35d, D90
Location: Maryland
Posts: 225
Thanks: 68
Thanked 163 Times in 88 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.whiskers View Post
Good, the more publicity is around this the better.
Absolutely, only likely way that customers are going to be able to hold Subaru/Toyota's feet to the fire. Excess Silicon RTV should not be in the oil pan, claiming drifting causes the issue is just such utter BS.

How about driving on rough roads, that's not likely to break it loose? BS excuse Toyota..
LRNAD90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 12:56 PM   #292
BioRebel
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Drives: Mini Cooper S
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 76
Thanks: 44
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It MAY have already caused damage. There is no way to know without pulling the whole engine apart or it completely fails.
Just because there is RTV it does automatically mean damage was done. If severely blocked the damage will usually be immediate and catastrophic.
Besides, the point was that a baffle plate is not a solution since if indeed blocked enough to cause damage adding a baffle plate won't reverse that and if no damage had yet occurred then removing the blockage prevents it.
While it wouldn't PREVENT the issue from happening, it would force the re-application of sealant and the removal of "excess" sealant. I feel like its more of a "while you're in there you may as well just add this additional preventative measure".
I mean this whole thing could likely be solved if the dealers just removed the pan and replaced the sealant when they get the car.


Anyone know if installing a baffle plate would void the warranty? MM seems to say the dealer would need to prove that the plate contributed to the failure in order to void the claim.
BioRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 12:58 PM   #293
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 2,643
Thanks: 1,265
Thanked 3,456 Times in 1,634 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobe38 View Post
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...-repair-denied

looks like R&T put an article out about it, word is definitely getting out. they should've linked this post instead of that other one....but close enough

Fck yeah, I applaud R&T for this.
__________________
God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car. Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 01:02 PM   #294
Tcoat
Senior Member
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,698
Thanks: 61,601
Thanked 107,929 Times in 46,340 Posts
Mentioned: 2472 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRebel View Post
While it wouldn't PREVENT the issue from happening, it would force the re-application of sealant and the removal of "excess" sealant. I feel like its more of a "while you're in there you may as well just add this additional preventative measure".
I mean this whole thing could likely be solved if the dealers just removed the pan and replaced the sealant when they get the car.


Anyone know if installing a baffle plate would void the warranty? MM seems to say the dealer would need to prove that the plate contributed to the failure in order to void the claim.

Wouldn't "void" the warranty but could result in denial of coverage for any oil related issue.
They just need to prove it contributed to the issue not directly caused it. As posted before the warranty language is clear that aftermarket or modded parts can result in denial of claim. You could of course argue it didn't but they just need to have one of their engineers state it COULD have contributed. They know the laws and trying to get around them with word play will not work. Doesn't matter what we, YouTubers, bloggers, random dudes in general think makes sense they simply have the resources to fight if they choose.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
JusTheG (08-02-2022), OkieSnuffBox (08-02-2022)
 
Reply

Tags
oh no not again

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New stock GR86 '22 Dyno Runs: Twins packing more power than advertised!! steel86gt GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) 14 03-09-2022 01:15 AM
Driver's side window seal/door seal KAB-FRS Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 255 01-01-2021 06:09 PM
Is my engine blown? dallenj Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 39 01-30-2017 04:18 PM
Blown engine due to 0W-20? Benschneider06 Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 45 07-23-2015 02:33 AM
Subaru BRZ complete engine gasket & seal kit 2.0L JPxM0Dz Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 0 12-18-2012 11:11 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.