follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 09-03-2019, 02:20 PM   #15
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The veloster has some balls. Bet you wont get 100k miles out of it without some boost related issue though.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:29 PM   #16
Go Frogs

Drives: '19 WRX Base in Lapis Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
are you getting the performance pack Veloster-N, the one with 275 hp...or are you getting the normal one with just 250 hp?

If you got the BRZ, what trim would it be, Premium, Limited, Limited w/PP?

In my searches and test drives, the BRZ, at least to me, was more involving as a driving experience goes similar to how a motorcycle involves you when you are riding.

The BRZ may not be the best, or all out winner, but it is definitely the most involving, most immersive driving experience.

Speed is fine. Power if great. But it's the actual driving experience that should win you over if you are looking for a driver's car. Granted, the Veloster-N is more hardcore/raw than a GTI, but does it give you the experience you are looking for, especially when comparing to the BRZ?

I weighed all my options and the BRZ was #1, but then the wife chimed in and real life got in the way, so now, a WRX will be in the garage, instead of a BRZ.

Happy car hunting.

Dear SoA, what petition do I need to sign to bring the LeVorg 2.0t 6spd to North America?
Go Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #17
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
The veloster has some balls. Bet you wont get 100k miles out of it without some boost related issue though.
Why's that? The Theta II engine @ 270 HP has been in the Genesis Coupe since 2013. Arguably, it has had less problems than the FA20 upon release.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #18
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
Why's that? The Theta II engine @ 270 HP has been in the Genesis Coupe since 2013. Arguably, it has had less problems than the FA20 upon release.
That's not saying alot
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #19
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Frogs View Post
are you getting the performance pack Veloster-N, the one with 275 hp...or are you getting the normal one with just 250 hp?

If you got the BRZ, what trim would it be, Premium, Limited, Limited w/PP?

In my searches and test drives, the BRZ, at least to me, was more involving as a driving experience goes similar to how a motorcycle involves you when you are riding.

The BRZ may not be the best, or all out winner, but it is definitely the most involving, most immersive driving experience.

Speed is fine. Power if great. But it's the actual driving experience that should win you over if you are looking for a driver's car. Granted, the Veloster-N is more hardcore/raw than a GTI, but does it give you the experience you are looking for, especially when comparing to the BRZ?

I weighed all my options and the BRZ was #1, but then the wife chimed in and real life got in the way, so now, a WRX will be in the garage, instead of a BRZ.

Happy car hunting.
Gotta get the performance pack. 2100$ it's well worth it. No electronic diff with out. Also small brake rotors I believe.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:55 PM   #20
Go Frogs

Drives: '19 WRX Base in Lapis Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Gotta get the performance pack. 2100$ it's well worth it. No electronic diff with out. Also small brake rotors I believe.
agreed. Limited w/PP was how I was going to spec mine.

But, that will have to be for another time (year).

Inventory on cars I'm interested in seem to be in low supply in the SW OH area and trying to find a car similar to what I am looking for has been nearly impossible. I think most cars are about 80% of what I'm looking for. The biggest hangup seems to be that 3rd pedal.

It seems though, if it isn't considered a crossover/SUV/etc., dealers don't want them clogging up their lot space.

Dear SoA, what petition do I need to sign to bring the LeVorg 2.0t 6spd to North America?
Go Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #21
Rameus

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I gave my FR-S lease back in April this year, and ended up getting a Veloster N (in Canada, where we only get the Performance Pack version).

For me, the car ticks all the boxes in my life now. I'm recently married and expecting to start a family within the next year or two. We intend to have only one car as long as we can to save money. We currently live in an apartment, and with real estate as expensive as it is in Toronto, its unlikely we will have proper space for a second car let alone track project within the next 5 years.

The Veloster N offers a hell of a lot of fun, real track capabilities right off the lot (I'd argue even more than a twin actually), plus a rear seat, hatchback, and a good price. The fun/$ ratio is extremely good in the Veloster N.

The 2.0T has a strong mid-range but slightly disappointing top end (6700rpm redline but no point shifting after 6000). The engine responds well to tuning modules (JB4 is popular) and simple bolt ons but most say the stock turbo is a bottle neck to more than ~25% gains. Exhaust sounds great in N mode and is almost imperceptible in Normal mode.

The handling feel in sport and N modes is quite good. In my opinion the Veloster N is 80-90% as good as a stock twin in this department. With the electronic damping and e-lsd in N mode, the car is quite throttle steerable. N mode damping is far too stiff for north eastern roads, but the less stiff modes are more comfortable than a twin. There is also a Korean market electronic suspension tuning module that plugs into the CAN bus and allows adjustment of the damping beyond the factory settings. It's made by the suspension manufacturer themselves but is a bit hard to get in North America. I am a bit concerned about future strut/shock replacement costs.

So far been to two HPDEs with it and the stock car handles it really well. The stock Pirellis, while too low profile in my opinion for snow country roads, handle beginner-intermediate HPDE track use acceptably. Brakes have held for all sessions so far (stock brakes are quite large, 345mm OD fronts). The only potential concern so far is oil temp, I've seen about 130C on track despite the coolant to oil oil cooler.

Really the only thing I don't like about the car so far is the sharpness of the controls. The FR-S cockpit fit like a glove. Steering wheel size and shifter feel and location felt perfect (except my notchy 2nd in the cold). In the Veloster N, it is clear you're driving a hatchback...but that is really just the nature of hot hatchbacks I think.

So, if you're looking for more practicality than a twin but still want driving fun, track capability, and value, I recommend the Veloster N. I cross shopped the GTI, Golf R, and STI but the performance/$ of the Veloster was too good.
Rameus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rameus For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (09-08-2019), Tanstin (12-13-2020), weederr33 (09-08-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 08:34 AM   #22
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Australia's Motoring ranked the i30 N (6th) and Civic Type R (2nd) above the BRZ TS (8th) and Miata RF (10th) in their Best Driver's test comparison. Both FWD cars are faster at the track too, with the CTR setting a really impressive time.

CTR: 1:38.15
i30 N: 1:40.807
BRZ TS: 1:42.99
Miata RF: 1:43.93

https://www.motoring.com.au/australi...r/car-reviews/

Personally I wouldn't take pick either FWD hot hatch over a proper lightweight RWD sports car, but it goes to show just how far these FWD platforms have come.
Our old friends at motoring hey. They’re not bad those mega comparisons they do. Funny the 2018 winner the Alfa Romeo Giulia QV was not ranked the year before lol, suspension issues.

By 2018 our platform was already 6 years old, interesting to see how the next gen stacks up. An 86/BRZ that is aging against newer competitors and it still finishes 8th out of 14th is pretty good. Of course some of the cars are going to be better, they’re brand new and triple the price etc. but it still beat some decent competitors. Bang (fun) for your buck it’s still hard to beat. PS I’m slightly biased...
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #23
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
Our old friends at motoring hey. They’re not bad those mega comparisons they do. Funny the 2018 winner the Alfa Romeo Giulia QV was not ranked the year before lol, suspension issues.

By 2018 our platform was already 6 years old, interesting to see how the next gen stacks up. An 86/BRZ that is aging against newer competitors and it still finishes 8th out of 14th is pretty good. Of course some of the cars are going to be better, they’re brand new and triple the price etc. but it still beat some decent competitors. Bang (fun) for your buck it’s still hard to beat. PS I’m slightly biased...
Haha same here. Love these cars and I'd still be driving one even if it came in dead last in the comparison.

I will say this though. If I ever needed to replace my FR-S and GTI with a do-it-all family and track car, I'd be seriously tempted by the CTR. Seems to be one of the best rounded cars for the money. I'd just have to walk up to it blind-folded

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Dirty Harry (09-10-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #24
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Of all the new hot hatches the N is the one I want to drive the most.

The extra door makes it sort of more practical. I'm not overly enthusiastic over the price. Around 45k CAD out the door. Maybe less if you pay cash or find some insensitives on leftover stock. That's a lot for a Hyundai.

If I'm paying cash that buys a lot of used car. Maybe in a few years once the prices drop on used ones.
Close to CTR money. I'd just go straight to CTR and forget about this thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (09-09-2019), JesseG (12-03-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 02:23 PM   #25
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
If I was in the market for a hot hatch it would be the Velo mostly because it only has 2 door handles. I just have this thing about performance cars with 4 doors. And yes a good FWD car rotates well because rotation is more about brake application and weight management.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #26
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
If I was in the market for a hot hatch it would be the Velo mostly because it only has 2 door handles. I just have this thing about performance cars with 4 doors. And yes a good FWD car rotates well because rotation is more about brake application and weight management.
Doesn't it technically have 3?
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #27
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Doesn't it technically have 3?
It does indeed. A local dealership has 3 on the lot. My favorite or the signature blue and chak white.... My wife would kill me..

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:39 AM   #28
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)