follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 11-14-2022, 01:42 PM   #799
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Or just simply giving a straight answer as to why some actually prefer the first gen.

Love the frequent "Oh you are just jealous because you can't afford one" theme.

Good for you you wanted one and found it. That doesn't mean that the rest of us do.

The very title of this thread is "Any good reason to stick with 1st gen" not "You are a moron if you like the first gen"

EDIT: and it is hilarious that you still use a picture of your first gen in your sig line!

We have been through this line too many times I don't feel like doing it any more. You know exactly why I think the Gen 2 looks better than the Gen 1 and I know exactly why you think the Gen 1 looks better than the Gen 2. I had a Gen 1 - I LOVED my Gen 1. It is a great car. Heck, I am pretty sure at least 50% of Gen 2 owners were Gen 1 owners - we clearly don't "hate" the Gen 1.

All I will say is this - I have never gone to the Gen 1 forum to tell them how much better looking and what a better car the Gen 2 is over their "inferior" Gen 1s. Just sayin ...
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:04 PM   #800
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
We have been through this line too many times I don't feel like doing it any more. You know exactly why I think the Gen 2 looks better than the Gen 1 and I know exactly why you think the Gen 1 looks better than the Gen 2. I had a Gen 1 - I LOVED my Gen 1. It is a great car. Heck, I am pretty sure at least 50% of Gen 2 owners were Gen 1 owners - we clearly don't "hate" the Gen 1.

All I will say is this - I have never gone to the Gen 1 forum to tell them how much better looking and what a better car the Gen 2 is over their "inferior" Gen 1s. Just sayin ...
Yep and that is why lines like "this thread is a coping mechanism for folks who cant find a 22+ at sticker or cant justify or afford the financials of the upgrade to begin with imo."are uncalled for.

Really? The only reason people aren't interested is because they can't find a 22 or are to broke to get one anyway.

Big FU to that sentiment.

This THREAD is asking for reasons and I will bloody well state mine.

Just sayin...
nikitopo (12-04-2022), OkieSnuffBox (11-15-2022), soundman98 (11-14-2022), villainous_frx (11-15-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 02:45 PM   #801
LRNAD90

Drives: X5 35d, D90, CX-5 Turbo
Can't we all just get along?
LRNAD90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:07 PM   #802
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
Can't we all just get along?
no!

we must pick a side!!!

are you team OG or team 2G???
You're fate is sealed with your choice!.

Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (11-14-2022), NoHaveMSG (11-14-2022), villainous_frx (11-15-2022), VoltsFRS2013 (11-14-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 06:23 PM   #803
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Yep and that is why lines like "this thread is a coping mechanism for folks who cant find a 22+ at sticker or cant justify or afford the financials of the upgrade to begin with imo."are uncalled for.

Really? The only reason people aren't interested is because they can't find a 22 or are to broke to get one anyway.

Big FU to that sentiment.

This THREAD is asking for reasons and I will bloody well state mine.

Just sayin...
That's cool. I've always wanted to have a little brother. It's nice to know that I now have thousands of them. <<patting lil' bro on the head>>
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:29 PM   #804
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sorry I posted that and started it again. These things are by all means subjective and honestly the Gen 1 looks better. But the Gen 2 certainly performs better and has some more refinement. I really feel that the Gen 2 is an improvement in every way except steering and looks. If I did not have a 16 I would buy a new one for sure. The cars are just too much fun. Neither is as pretty as my 981 though. No issues if you completely disagree with me, that’s what forums are for.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:31 PM   #805
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
this thread is a coping mechanism for folks who cant find a 22+ at sticker or cant justify or afford the financials of the upgrade to begin with imo.

This is the twin equivalent of "is the Cayman S worth buying over the Cayman Base"

I felt the exact same way prior to driving a 22. Wow my 18 is so aggressive, it looks so much better. blah blah blah.

Sold my 18' for roughly 22.5k, got into my 22 GR Premium for 33.5k OTD. My 18 was fully paid off.

I put roughly $18k down during financing, rest went back into the car for modifications, ppf, tint, etc. For the very marginal amount of money i spent actually upgrading to the new generation the performance and quality of life as far as interior features, just the way the car looks and how premium it is is beyond worth it.

I could not say the same thing for the many folks who got bent over spending upwards or over 30k for Gen 1 and 1.5 cars. That's just my $0.02 after owning a Gen 1, 1.5 and now 2.

If you're financing a gen 1 / 1.5 and you would go upside down into the deal for a gen 2, not worth it. However, gen 2 cars are retaining value so strong it's insane. The day i left the dealer with my GR carvana would have gave me almost $40k for it. Given this was roughly 6 months ago, the market is still incredibly strong.

Just depends what perspective you're looking at it from. I would NEVER pay over sticker for one of these cars. It's not hard to find one at sticker. Do your due diligence, call all of your dealers in your network, express interest and pick out the ones that aren't scummy.
You clearly don't know what you're talking about or are observing from a tiny window.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:04 PM   #806
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
You clearly don't know what you're talking about or are observing from a tiny window.
Maybe I did not observe enough, but the first 7 pages of this soon to be 61 page thread are people making the same few statements:

2nd gen is butt ugly and I like my first gen more
I prefer 1st gen analog gauges vs 2nd gen digital gauges (valid)
My 1st gen still has a loan and the upgrade is marginal so I wouldnt / cant justify it

OP's original post and I will quote

"If money is not an issue, what are good reasons to stick with 1st Gen over 2nd Gen."

If money is not an issue, there is literally no reason to stay with the 1st gen outside of arguable opinionated preferences such as styling, digital vs analog, and the one I will admit I prefer from the first generation as many others have said is steering feel. The second gen is a statistically better driving machine. Numbers don't lie.

However, If money is an issue and availability is an issue then by all means the 1st gen is a fantastic car. I have owned the entire trinity and love all three. However, if you're in a financial position or in a position with your build where you can get out of it, and get into a new one then yes. Why would you not make the jump to a brand new car with the same formula, half the parts slap right on from your previous car, and every day the aftermarket is booming more and more?

Again, I literally love and have owned all of these cars. I'm just a little lost as to why there is a 60 page thread in the 2nd gen section that is majority filled with 1st gen owners expressing their discontent with the 2nd gen. It's pretty odd. Page after page of 1st gen owners just knitpicking in the 2nd gen section.

Imagine if a bunch of 22 Owners went into the 1st gen section and made a polar opposite thread that is 85% full of just personal opinion. Also, I know the OP originally states if money is not an issue, but let's be realistic here. 22+ availability is lacking and takes a lot more due diligence to find one, and I absolutely stand behind my comment in regards to being in the proper financial place to upgrade.

I have NEVER met anyone who's first question or thought process behind buying a car isn't how much it is going to cost them.

You could argue that the first gen gets fantastic MPG compared to the second, the parts are cheaper & maintenance should be cheaper, the cars themselves are cheaper, your insurance will be cheaper. the aftermarket is explosive in comparison thus aftermarket modifications are cheaper

However, ""If money is not an issue"

Last edited by VoltsFRS2013; 11-14-2022 at 09:39 PM.
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:13 PM   #807
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i'd love to get a gen 2 for the bigger motor, increased chassis stiffness, and stiffened transmission.

i'm keeping my gen 1 because i don't want digital gauges, the slacker steering ratio, or more creature comforts.

the reality is that eventually i'll likely be able to get the bigger motor into a gen 1, the trans has already been verified to plug-n-play, the only thing i'd really be short then would be the chassis stiffness--aftermarket bracing isn't going to entirely make up for an oem-designed/built stiffer setup.

so for me, there's absolutely no reason to upgrade to the gen 2, even if all the costs were zeroed out.
Wally86 (11-15-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 09:32 PM   #808
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post

Nail on the head lol
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:48 PM   #809
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=VoltsFRS2013;3556608]Nail on the head lol[/QUOTE

Most have been on this forum for years. We did not just come out of nowhere to these threads. There is no master plan to go to various forums and troll people. It is a forum, a place to discuss ideas, thoughts and opinions. It’s is not a place for everyone to agree.

On Nasioc there were similar threads about each generation of WRX/STI, it’s just how people are. And I will always vouch for my blobeye wagon as the best.

There’s a thread right now on Planet-9 talking about 987 vs 981. And 997 vs 991.

This shit is literally everywhere. People discussing what they like. Anyone who takes offense or gets their panties all twisted must have some doubts in their decision. Shit I know I would be happy with any of the cars I mentioned above, even a Gen 2 BRZ in silver.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-15-2022), soundman98 (11-16-2022), Tcoat (11-15-2022), villainous_frx (11-15-2022), VoltsFRS2013 (11-14-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 01:57 AM   #810
villainous_frx
Off to the track!

Drives: '14 Lava 86, '13 WRB BRZ
Thanked 1,150 Times in 462 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I like gen 1, I like gen 2. They're both nice in their own ways, analog gauges vs more power etc. For the ZD8 and ZN8, there's some very cool gen2 specific parts coming out and I'm glad the platforms are still growing.

I'll stick with my gen 1 for a very very simple reason... Toyota killed off Hot Lava at the end of the '17MY and it's my favorite color
Old 11-15-2022, 05:52 AM   #811
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I want to say "finally, I see 2nd Gen Hotlava" but will not happen any time soon. If I upgrade, should be Zupra 2.0 or any pony cars
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 07:01 AM   #812
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
Maybe I did not observe enough, but the first 7 pages of this soon to be 61 page thread are people making the same few statements:

2nd gen is butt ugly and I like my first gen more
I prefer 1st gen analog gauges vs 2nd gen digital gauges (valid)
My 1st gen still has a loan and the upgrade is marginal so I wouldnt / cant justify it

OP's original post and I will quote

"If money is not an issue, what are good reasons to stick with 1st Gen over 2nd Gen."

If money is not an issue, there is literally no reason to stay with the 1st gen outside of arguable opinionated preferences such as styling, digital vs analog, and the one I will admit I prefer from the first generation as many others have said is steering feel. The second gen is a statistically better driving machine. Numbers don't lie.

However, If money is an issue and availability is an issue then by all means the 1st gen is a fantastic car. I have owned the entire trinity and love all three. However, if you're in a financial position or in a position with your build where you can get out of it, and get into a new one then yes. Why would you not make the jump to a brand new car with the same formula, half the parts slap right on from your previous car, and every day the aftermarket is booming more and more?

Again, I literally love and have owned all of these cars. I'm just a little lost as to why there is a 60 page thread in the 2nd gen section that is majority filled with 1st gen owners expressing their discontent with the 2nd gen. It's pretty odd. Page after page of 1st gen owners just knitpicking in the 2nd gen section.

Imagine if a bunch of 22 Owners went into the 1st gen section and made a polar opposite thread that is 85% full of just personal opinion. Also, I know the OP originally states if money is not an issue, but let's be realistic here. 22+ availability is lacking and takes a lot more due diligence to find one, and I absolutely stand behind my comment in regards to being in the proper financial place to upgrade.

I have NEVER met anyone who's first question or thought process behind buying a car isn't how much it is going to cost them.

You could argue that the first gen gets fantastic MPG compared to the second, the parts are cheaper & maintenance should be cheaper, the cars themselves are cheaper, your insurance will be cheaper. the aftermarket is explosive in comparison thus aftermarket modifications are cheaper

However, ""If money is not an issue"
The whole point of the thread is asking why stick with Gen 1. You are going to see "nitpicking" because these are the reasons many of us prefer the Gen 1. I don't give one single damn if you agree or not those are OUR reasons.

Of course it is all personal opinion" but your preference is also personal opinion. I think they are one of the uglyest cars on the road right now. That is my opinion. I am not asking anybody to change their opinion just that it is mine. There are many that agree with me but we are just told we are wrong and should not say anything.

You are fixated on costs but that is your problem not ours. You keep repeating that if somebody can afford it why wouldn't they change. We are saying exactly why we wouldn't change not that we can't afford to.

All I see in response to people's reasons as to why they prefer the Gen 1 is a bunch of butthurt snowflake Gen 2 owners that somehow feel that their opinion over rules everybody and can't stand to see anything bad said about their cars.
soundman98 (11-16-2022), weederr33 (11-15-2022), x808drifter (11-16-2022)