follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #99
Rican_D

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post
I have used the factory USB plug on an aftermarket unit for both CarPlay and AA without an issue. The factory USB is not the issue.

Often times it is the cable quality not being able to transfer enough data for AA to run. Your best bet is to ensure you get a high-quality USB3.0 cable to run AA. It's very sensitive to that.
I'm using the same cable on the other USB port with no issue.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #100
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican_D View Post
I'm using the same cable on the other USB port with no issue.

Which is what lead me to the conclusion that AA/CP must be bound to one port/bus. I suspect if you hacked the working port into the OEM jack AA/CP would work fine. It's also possibly just a setting they could change in the Car Link app to use another port or maybe all the ports. It may be worth reporting this issue considering it's technically a beta.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:50 AM   #101
Rican_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Which is what lead me to the conclusion that AA/CP must be bound to one port/bus. I suspect if you hacked the working port into the OEM jack AA/CP would work fine. It's also possibly just a setting they could change in the Car Link app to use another port or maybe all the ports. It may be worth reporting this issue considering it's technically a beta.
No, remember these units are universal. Only thing different is the dash piece. I can easily place another USB harnesses in the same plug that uses the factory adapter and it will function just fine.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:56 PM   #102
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican_D View Post
No, remember these units are universal. Only thing different is the dash piece. I can easily place another USB harnesses in the same plug that uses the factory adapter and it will function just fine.
Okay I missed that detail somewhere. So yeah sounds like it's something related to the port or harness when pushed at higher bitrates. Not sure about AA but I know CP is just a video stream from the phone so running video and lossless audio may just push it over the edge. I guess it's not a big deal not being able to use the OEM port anyways.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:00 PM   #103
Rican_D

Quote:
Okay I missed that detail somewhere. So yeah sounds like it's something related to the port or harness when pushed at higher bitrates. Not sure about AA but I know CP is just a video stream from the phone so running video and lossless audio may just push it over the edge. I guess it's not a big deal not being able to use the OEM port anyways.
Yeah, I'm betting that the OEM port is just overwhelmed. Also the charge speed is slow as hell, so you would probably ending up losing battery plugged in that way.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:37 PM   #104
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I can't believe people still think OEM USB ports are designed for charging. They aren't. They supply power to the device in order to operate it, they do not supply high-amperage charging power. You will get at best a trickle-charge in an OEM configuration. Aftermarket head units may supply more amperage, but often times do not. Typical data USB ports supply 500mA. Your wall charger supplies 2A+. It will of course seem like it's charging slower. This is a function of the head unit, not the USB port. The port is fine.

There are a lot of things that come into play with aftermarket head units and AA/CP. Consider that many head units only have one port on them that allows one or the other to work. Pioneers, for example, have many models where only USB1 can do CP and only USB2 can do AA. You need to configure your install properly to use the port(s) as desired. When you have these restrictions, you must choose only one port to plug in to. This is in no way reflective of the working or quality of the OEM USB port. As discussed and tested in many other threads, you can 100% use the factory USB port for these functions on aftermarket head units. Again, the port is fine. The configuration is the key.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:20 PM   #105
ermax

Quote:
I can't believe people still think OEM USB ports are designed for charging. They aren't. They supply power to the device in order to operate it, they do not supply high-amperage charging power. You will get at best a trickle-charge in an OEM configuration. Aftermarket head units may supply more amperage, but often times do not. Typical data USB ports supply 500mA. Your wall charger supplies 2A+. It will of course seem like it's charging slower. This is a function of the head unit, not the USB port. The port is fine.
The OEM HU that came in my 2013 supplies 1A which is enough to keep my phone (iPhone 11) from going backwards while running Waze and will charge if all I'm doing is Spotify. I don't even have a cable in my car as my phone isn't even close to needing bump charges to make it though the day and I rarely travel in this car. If I do travel I plug it into a 2.4A cig adapter.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:31 PM   #106
ermax

Quote:
Pioneers, for example, have many models where only USB1 can do CP and only USB2 can do AA.
This is exactly what I thought was the issue. I think English may not be his first language and something is getting lost. Looking at the wiring diagram it looks like there are two USB connectors. One is labeled single and the other is dual. Single has 4 pins (Probably +/-/tx/rx) and the dual port has 6 pins (probably (+/-/tx1/rx1/tx2/rx2). If I had to guess the adapter for the OEM port plugs into the single port and the single port doesn't handle AA/CP. But then he said he unplugged the OEM port adapter and plugged another cable into it and AA worked so I'm confused as hell and think there is a communication barrier. Hahaha.

If the OEM adapter only plugs into the port labeled single and that port doesn't support AA/CP, I will just hack up my own adapter that runs between the dual port and the OEM jack.

https://www.teyes.com.au/pages/cc3-wiring-diagram

Hmm.. The Ali listing shows a harness which if you look closely has three female USB-A connectors and then two small white connectors. So it must come with a cable specific for the Twins to retain the OEM port and another cable just to give you a USB-A connector. If I under stand what he was saying in his last post he is saying the USB-A adapter works fine for AA but when using the OEM adapter into the same port if fails.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:01 AM   #107
Rican_D

Quote:
This is exactly what I thought was the issue. I think English may not be his first language and something is getting lost. Looking at the wiring diagram it looks like there are two USB connectors. One is labeled single and the other is dual. Single has 4 pins (Probably +/-/tx/rx) and the dual port has 6 pins (probably (+/-/tx1/rx1/tx2/rx2). If I had to guess the adapter for the OEM port plugs into the single port and the single port doesn't handle AA/CP. But then he said he unplugged the OEM port adapter and plugged another cable into it and AA worked so I'm confused as hell and think there is a communication barrier. Hahaha.

If the OEM adapter only plugs into the port labeled single and that port doesn't support AA/CP, I will just hack up my own adapter that runs between the dual port and the OEM jack.

https://www.teyes.com.au/pages/cc3-wiring-diagram

Hmm.. The Ali listing shows a harness which if you look closely has three female USB-A connectors and then two small white connectors. So it must come with a cable specific for the Twins to retain the OEM port and another cable just to give you a USB-A connector. If I under stand what he was saying in his last post he is saying the USB-A adapter works fine for AA but when using the OEM adapter into the same port if fails.
Those are two separate harnesses. In the case of our car the single USB is actually the adapter to plug into the factory port. Now I thought I had one that was single USB in the box to test it out, but I didn't. Now with the dash cam, the harness it comes with takes up the the port of that dual USB. So I ended up using a USB port.

Edit, ok so I tried it again and now it's working just fine. Don't know what the issue was before.

Last edited by Rican_D; 05-16-2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:15 AM   #108
Butterballz

Drives: Black FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
How did you guys install the rearview camera? Did you follow the wiring diagram? It says to connect the ACC to G3 ACC so am I suppose to splice the G3 ACC wire? I have a FR-S, do I need to install a reverse trigger wire? Thanks!
Butterballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:55 AM   #109
Rican_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterballz View Post
How did you guys install the rearview camera? Did you follow the wiring diagram? It says to connect the ACC to G3 ACC so am I suppose to splice the G3 ACC wire? I have a FR-S, do I need to install a reverse trigger wire? Thanks!
I followed the diagram. I tapped into the reverse light wire in the trunk.

Old 05-29-2021, 07:18 AM   #110
ermax

TEYES CC3 Android HU

Man ALI Express’ shipping is so strange. For nearly a month the status has been “handed off to airline”. Now today I get a text message from DHL saying the package is in Singapore and will be delivered to my house on Jun 7. That is one slow plain if it took it a month to go from China to Singapore. I have a little more confidence in this new DHL tracking number though.

….. and now it’s in Hong Kong.

Last edited by ermax; 05-29-2021 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:17 PM   #111
Rican_D

Quote:
Man ALI Express’ shipping is so strange. For nearly a month the status has been “handed off to airline”. Now today I get a text message from DHL saying the package is in Singapore and will be delivered to my house on Jun 7. That is one slow plain if it took it a month to go from China to Singapore. I have a little more confidence in this new DHL tracking number though.

….. and now it’s in Hong Kong.
Same happened to me

Old 06-01-2021, 01:31 PM   #112
ermax

Wahoo!! It's here. It's amazing how it takes nearly a month to go from China to Singapore and then it takes just a few days to go from Singapore to HK then NY then Atlanta and then Jacksonville.

Last edited by ermax; 06-01-2021 at 02:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Rican_D (06-06-2021)