follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2016, 02:22 AM   #1
gMit

Drives: Pearl BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hella horn Subimods v2 harness install help

Hi all.

I have a pair of sharp tone hella horns as well as the Subimods v2 harness kit for Subaru. The people i bought it off said it will work fine and direct connect to my 2015 BRZ. http://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/c.../view/id/8088/

I'm having some trouble figuring out where to connect the trigger wire from the harness to the BRZ. I feel like i may have found the connection in the low horn connector but honestly I'm confused. Would someone be able to chime in and help me out.

Cheers!
gMit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:13 PM   #2
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYQE9sO-Lhc"]Subimods V2 Hella Horn Kit Installation 2015-2016 WRX / STI - YouTube[/ame]

go to the 3:30 mark. find the plug that looks like that and plug it in. the plug only goes in 1 way so I doubt you will get it wrong. the plug should be near the lower passenger side corner of the radiator if I recall correctly and also next to the temperature sensor.

I personally have not installed this harness, but I remember unplugging my horn down there when I was installing my oil cooler. it should be the plug you're looking for.

EDIT: the website you bought the harness from does not have the BRZ under the compatibility list. from the pictures, it seems as the harness you bought is different from the one Subie mods offers for the BRZ and 2015+ WRX since they both share the same horn plug (the compatibility for the harness you linked stops at 2014 WRX). this is the harness you want: https://subimods.com/subimods-v2-hel...m-h-hv2va.html
Old 10-10-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
BRZSteve

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gMit View Post
Hi all.

I have a pair of sharp tone hella horns as well as the Subimods v2 harness kit for Subaru. The people i bought it off said it will work fine and direct connect to my 2015 BRZ. http://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/c.../view/id/8088/

I'm having some trouble figuring out where to connect the trigger wire from the harness to the BRZ. I feel like i may have found the connection in the low horn connector but honestly I'm confused. Would someone be able to chime in and help me out.

Cheers!
I'm actually having the same problem as you. I have the Grimmspeed Harness. Did the new harness work?
Old 10-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
A plug and play harness that isn't plug and play, brought to you by: SUBIMODS! The same group that told you to mount a non-sealed relay in the way of the elements. Typical. Cut that connector off, crimp on a spade, and insert it into the connector of the low horn.

Alternatively, return this harness and buy a few feet of wire and connectors from home depot. You don't need the relay. This has been proven time and again.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:10 PM   #5
BRZSteve

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
A plug and play harness that isn't plug and play, brought to you by: SUBIMODS! The same group that told you to mount a non-sealed relay in the way of the elements. Typical. Cut that connector off, crimp on a spade, and insert it into the connector of the low horn.

Alternatively, return this harness and buy a few feet of wire and connectors from home depot. You don't need the relay. This has been proven time and again.
Wow who would have thought that plug and play wasn't actually plug and play. I guess I'll just buy the wires and do it myself like you said.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:51 AM   #6
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZSteve View Post
Wow who would have thought that plug and play wasn't actually plug and play. I guess I'll just buy the wires and do it myself like you said.
No worries!!

Find a ground, (you can use the lower horns mounting point,) put a ring terminal on it and run two leads from that ring terminal, one to each of your horns. Then, run spades one each from each of the stock horn trigger wires to the other terminal on the horn. If they don't do horn things, swap the terminals. I believe the horns are marked I can't recall.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
BRZSteve (10-12-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 09:55 AM   #7
JazzleSAURUS

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=89

In my post I had mentioned running a single spade, one to each horn. This works, fine, but technically my post above, (#6 in this very thread,) should give you a bit more redundancy.
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
BRZSteve (10-12-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 04:52 PM   #8
BRZSteve

Garage
Quote:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=89

In my post I had mentioned running a single spade, one to each horn. This works, fine, but technically my post above, (#6 in this very thread,) should give you a bit more redundancy.

Got the horns on and they work great! Although when I lock my car, it sounds like only one of the horns is working and is not as loud.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:27 AM   #9
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZSteve View Post
Got the horns on and they work great! Although when I lock my car, it sounds like only one of the horns is working and is not as loud.
Did you use one trigger from high and one from low, or split the trigger wire to each horn from one point?

I actually like having only one horn fire for locking, it makes it a distinct sound for that action!
Old 10-18-2016, 08:15 PM   #10
BRZSteve

Garage
Quote:
Did you use one trigger from high and one from low, or split the trigger wire to each horn from one point?

I actually like having only one horn fire for locking, it makes it a distinct sound for that action!
Yes I'm pretty sure it's all wired correctly. The sound is kind of growing on me actually.
JazzleSAURUS (10-19-2016)