follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 03-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #29
Pooverdam

Drives: Whiteout 6MT FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Can anyone please tell me how tight to torque the sandwich plate down? I followed the video and the guy says "you don't need to tighten the sandwich plate down that much cuz it has an o ring." Well let me tell you folks, I don't know what happened but I bolted everything up, started the car, looked down to turn the heater on (to burp the coolant system), looked back up only to see a fucking FOUNTAIN of oil. 😭

So that was fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pooverdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:37 AM   #30
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooverdam View Post
Can anyone please tell me how tight to torque the sandwich plate down? I followed the video and the guy says "you don't need to tighten the sandwich plate down that much cuz it has an o ring." Well let me tell you folks, I don't know what happened but I bolted everything up, started the car, looked down to turn the heater on (to burp the coolant system), looked back up only to see a fucking FOUNTAIN of oil. ��

So that was fun.

I would maybe dab a little oil on the o ring and get it on there tight. The DIY video looked like the OEM threaded rod was on there pretty tight. obviously don't get a breaker bar on there and start hitting it with a hammer to tighten though. but you probably already got it sorted out since it has been a few weeks haha
Old 04-17-2015, 01:58 AM   #31
FRSfan111
Sideways and smiling!

Drives: First 86 FRS 5/8/2012 (second US)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
The mishi sandwich plate requires 30lbs of torque if I recall right. Also I'd recommend an additional ring of Toyota pan/gasket sealer its 15$ at the dealer. I know this isn't the mishimoto kit like I have but its the same concept with the sandwich plate.
FRSfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 03:30 AM   #32
FLYFISHR

Drives: 2014 BR"ZED" Sport-tech DGM MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Did your oil cooler have this on it?

Did your plate have this nub on it? Did you remove it or leave it on?
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3140
Size:  232.4 KB
Old 04-18-2015, 03:31 AM   #33
FLYFISHR

Second view
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2887
Size:  209.6 KB
Old 04-18-2015, 07:19 AM   #34
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I don't remember that being there on mine.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:02 PM   #35
Pooverdam

Drives: Whiteout 6MT FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYFISHR View Post
Did your plate have this nub on it? Did you remove it or leave it on?

Attachment 107336

That's the bitch that caused the issue. It has to fit into the groove. Mine was half in half out

Pooverdam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pooverdam For This Useful Post:
FLYFISHR (04-18-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 01:02 AM   #36
SkiRideDrive

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Any additional thoughts on the routing explained in the video in the original post? This seems like a very elegant solution to an oil cooler.

Also, it seems that the kit linked below isn't too bad of a deal. Priced separately, the oil cooler is 150, the extended bolt is 30, hoses maybe 10 bucks, clamps say another 10, shipping say 10 bucks... that adds up to approximately 210. The kit is 225 with an oil filter. Not sure what ned charges for shipping.

http://www.nedautoparts.com/collecti...oem-subaru-brz

If no one seems to have any reservations for this system, I think I may pull the trigger from ned. I really like the idea of quicker oil warmups as well as I have a short commute.

I do have one issue... is the difference in diameter between some of the nipples as mentioned in the comments above and in the reviews on the ned site. I suppose some different size tube and a reducer could do the trick.

Thanks!
SkiRideDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #37
FLYFISHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiRideDrive View Post
I really like the idea of quicker oil warmups as well as I have a short commute.
That's the reasoning behind why I will be doing it. My DD is only 8-10 minutes and in the winter it barely gets warm enough if I don't let it warmup at an idle before setting off to work.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:38 AM   #38
mister.bond

Drives: BRZ Subaru
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
whats the order of the series? As in, which gets cold coolant first, TB or cooler?
mister.bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:00 PM   #39
mhughett

Drives: 2015 Crystal White BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiRideDrive View Post
Any additional thoughts on the routing explained in the video in the original post? This seems like a very elegant solution to an oil cooler.

Also, it seems that the kit linked below isn't too bad of a deal. Priced separately, the oil cooler is 150, the extended bolt is 30, hoses maybe 10 bucks, clamps say another 10, shipping say 10 bucks... that adds up to approximately 210. The kit is 225 with an oil filter. Not sure what ned charges for shipping.

http://www.nedautoparts.com/collecti...oem-subaru-brz

If no one seems to have any reservations for this system, I think I may pull the trigger from ned. I really like the idea of quicker oil warmups as well as I have a short commute.

I do have one issue... is the difference in diameter between some of the nipples as mentioned in the comments above and in the reviews on the ned site. I suppose some different size tube and a reducer could do the trick.

Thanks!

I just installed this system this afternoon. It was purchased from NED. While it's not difficult, it's not the 10 minute video installation that you see on youtube either. Here are my observations from the installation:

1. As noted above, there are different diameter nipple sizes but one size hose used. The curved outlet from the oil cooler is clearly bigger than any other nipple but with a little lubricant on the nipple, the hose will slide over it. The problem is that the supplied hose clamps will not fit over this bigger nipple. They are barely big enough to fit over the other nipples but there is no way they work on this nipple. Fortunately, I had spares at home that would fit
2. Both hoses are run underneath the A/C compressor but I have a concern that the heat from the compressor and/or the engine on the other side will eventually damage the cooling hoses. There is not room underneath the compressor for these hoses to route without touching metal. Maybe they will be all right but I'm not sure.
3. The nipples on the throttle body are smaller than either nipple on the oil cooler and are loose when you slide the supplied hoses onto them. I was still able to tighten them down with the worm roller clamps and it appears I have no leaks so far.

Otherwise, the installation was straightforward and as per the videos. I hope it helps keep the temps down on warm track days.
mhughett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:31 AM   #40
j_motion

Drives: 14 BRZ Red premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is the 2 barb on the TB are they 1/2 or 3/8 ?

i got all the parts just need to know which size hose to get

Thanks
j_motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #41
nico_rsx

Drives: BRZ 2017 Pure Red, MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister.bond View Post
whats the order of the series? As in, which gets cold coolant first, TB or cooler?
Thread revival!

Does anybody know with this install if the throttle body gets the coolant first, or does the oil cooler gets the coolant first (and then the the throttle body gets hot coolant ands it heats up the intake air) ?

Thanks
nico_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:43 AM   #42
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Following
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forged performance, oem, oil, oil cooler, temp