follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
LudwigMiles
Banned

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A few questions before buying a used BRZ/FRS

I am considering an FRS/BRZ.

I like to keep my cars bone stock.
If I want a 2013 (premium/base) with about 30k miles, what price range should I expect?

I understand these cars are 2013+ new and few may have been taken to over 80k miles yet. So, not much widespread maintenance has been done yet. That said, how is the DIY resources for this car? Are they nonexistent since there have not been any big repairs for people yet?

I heard that the engine needs to be dropped to replace the rear two spark plugs. Any truth to this?

What is the resolution for the chirping sound fuel pump? Do people just live with it? Just how bad is it? Anyone have an audio recording?

Snow tires. Any weird things I need to know? TPMS? What size wheels and snows do you run? Same as OEM P215/45R17 ?

Heard the head unit is bad. Poor stereo. Bad bluetooth. IS there a common upgrade, or am I stuck with OEM?

Last edited by LudwigMiles; 07-30-2017 at 05:41 PM.
LudwigMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
as for chirping you just get used to it or turn up your tunes....use good quality premium gas and you'll be fine....if you can get a 2014....just my 2 cents!

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #3
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
I think the mechanical maintenance forum has a shop manual PDF as a sticky.

If you have small hands and/or the right tools, you don't need to lift the engine to do spark plugs. Do a search, there are a few diys on the subject.

The crickets give the car character imo. If you get them, you hear it at idle when the car is warm. Doesn't cause any problems I am aware of. I get them all the time in the summer.

I have a 2013, and the radio/ head unit/ Bluetooth works fine for my limited use of it. Check out the interior modifications forum if you want to know upgrade options.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
My 2013 FRS cost me $17k with 12k miles on it, about 2 years ago. I would bet 30k miles now would be a bit cheaper, but that is w/out looking at the market.

For the FP chirping, you can get it replaced. But, even after replacing, mine still chirped. It is not a big deal, little music or exhaust drowns it out.

Snow tires, just get the same as OEM size, nothing special.

My FRS had the touchscreen head unit. It was not that bad, no BT issues. I have odd BT issues with my 2017 BRZ and Samsung S7 phone that I did not have w/ my FRS :/
Old 07-30-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinco View Post
For the FP chirping, you can get it replaced. But, even after replacing, mine still chirped :/
You get yours replaced before or after October 2016?

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
You get yours replaced before or after October 2016?
It would have been before that date.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:32 PM   #7
jeffchap

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
As long as I burn ethanol-free gas, mine doesn't chirp. Put in E10 though, and it starts up after a few miles.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:41 PM   #8
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinco View Post
It would have been before that date.
Ah okay, that's the wrong pump they put in. The TSB on Oct 2016 is a total redesign. If it ever bothers you and you get time this redesigned version works chirp free, at least on my car.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
justinco (07-31-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #9
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,204 Times in 8,592 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigMiles View Post

If I want a 2013 (premium/base) with about 30k miles, what price range should I expect?

I understand these cars are 2013+ new and few may have been taken to over 80k miles yet. So, not much widespread maintenance has been done yet. That said, how is the DIY resources for this car? Are they nonexistent since there have not been any big repairs for people yet?

I heard that the engine needs to be dropped to replace the rear two spark plugs. Any truth to this?

What is the resolution for the chirping sound fuel pump? Do people just live with it? Just how bad is it? Anyone have an audio recording?

Snow tires. Any weird things I need to know? TPMS? What size wheels and snows do you run? Same as OEM P215/45R17 ?

Heard the head unit is bad. Poor stereo. Bad bluetooth. IS there a common upgrade, or am I stuck with OEM?
Yep, everything sucks. Don't get one.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-30-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 12:12 AM   #10
LudwigMiles
Banned

Drives: '13 BRZ
Thanks for the info, guys.
I just bought a '13 BRZ tonight and and looking forward to being a member here.

Sounds like a shop manual, existing DIY info, and passing time will meet my needs.

It seems like installing a new head unit is not a big deal.

The car I bought does not have chirping. I hope it stays that way.
But, it sounds like the 2016+ fuel pump solves it?
LudwigMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:36 AM   #11
carsebuco
How do I shift?

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the info, guys.
I just bought a '13 BRZ tonight and and looking forward to being a member here.

Sounds like a shop manual, existing DIY info, and passing time will meet my needs.

It seems like installing a new head unit is not a big deal.

The car I bought does not have chirping. I hope it stays that way.
But, it sounds like the 2016+ fuel pump solves it?
Chirping is not an issue. Worry about things that matter, like driving your new (hopefully) best toy
Old 07-31-2017, 01:03 AM   #12
user4815

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Series 10 Manual
Quote:

I purchased a used FR-S with 60K on the odo for $16K last August (not a great deal, but dealers in my area were asking $19,000 for anything with under 40,000 miles.)

Here's my experience:

Spark Plugs: Had them changed by an independent shop at 65K miles for ~400. There are several DIY guides available to change yourself without jacking up engine. Factory manual recommends changing at 60K, not 100K like other Subaru engines.

Fuel Pump Chirping:
Ethanol Free = NO chirps for me. Worth the extra $$$ each tank imo.

Head Unit: No issues, but I have a Series 10 with the "upgraded" unit.
user4815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:39 AM   #13
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

>Good choice

>Hard to say, depends on the market, condition and the miles

>The DIY resources are great on this site and YouTube. There were reported issues with the initial batch back in 2012 with failed injector seals that manifested themselves with track rentals that were driven very hard.

>DIY guys have demonstrated that you don't need to drop the engine to change the spark plugs just remove the ECU, a few other things and don't be surprised by scraped knuckles. It's just that it's a low, flat horizontal engine in a cramped engine and dropping the engine would make it no brainer. YouTube will be your friend.

>No real solution, some guys have better luck with trying different gas blends. Keep in mind, direct injection cars make a noise, usually ticking but ours is chirping -go figure. Keep in mind it only happens when you're idling, very noticeable while idling next to a wall at a drive through or idling with your hood open. If you increase your idle it goes away. if you more it goes away, if you make the radio louder it drowns it out, if you close the windows it drowns it out too. There are examples of chirping on YouTube. Sometimes it goes as quickly as it came.

>Nothing weird, same as any other car. Mount them on steelies if you don't worry about appearance.

>The head unit for the FR-S from the '13 10 Series/'14 model year (and up) are fine. Anything before it is junk. The BRZ head units were the ones plagued with issues. You're not stuck with OEM, it's a double DIN and you can get adapters for the wiring harness from Crutchfield so you don't have to mutilate the wires.

Hope this sheds some light.

Last edited by dnieves; 07-31-2017 at 11:31 AM.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:25 AM   #14
Riftur

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
As long as I burn ethanol-free gas, mine doesn't chirp. Put in E10 though, and it starts up after a few miles.
When I run e85 the chirps go away for me. Then when i switch back to e10 93oct (there is no pure 93 where I live) I am fine for a while but they eventually come back.
Riftur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
subaru, subaru brz